• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS without the "C"

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We read a lot about CTIS and how well it serves (when working) as a traction enhancing device, now 99.9% of us don't have the CTIS, but have to deflate/inflate tires manually. My questions is, what kind of gadgets do the off-roaders use to simplify this process?

PS. This applies to all wheeled vehicles and if there is a better slot for this on this forum, moderaters, have at it. BB

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many use a spider type device which has a central manifold with a gauge and 4 hoses, each going to a tire. You can inflate or deflate all tires at once and balance air pressure as well. I've always thought of hard plumbing air lines to each tire location and just having a short hose to inflate the tires.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, that's exactly what I had in mind as a "manual" substitute for the CTIS, easier to keep working at sub zero temps also, when you may get in trouble with the sophisticated, computerized CTIS (I think the TMs even states not to use it below -10°F or something like that).

Found this, now that I'm tuned in to it. All off-the-shelf parts from the looks of it.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/4air.shtml#Description

Blood_of_Tyrants

Just get a gladhand, a piece of air hose with 1/2" npt fittings, a 1/2" female to 1/4" npt female adapter, and a 1/4" female quick connect and carry 25' of 1/4" air hose.

Done this, with offroad vehicle, used air hose, brass fittings, clip on air chucks, filled 4 35" tires from 0 to 30 psi in under 3 minutes using york style air compressor. I have detailed instructions on a different computer I can mail if someone wants them.

acetomatoco

You could always morf the system off a DUKW complete with the faucets under the driver's seat...genuine MilSpec CTIS.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: CTIS without the "C"

acetomatoco said:
You could always morf the system off a DUKW complete with the faucets under the driver's seat...genuine MilSpec CTIS.
Probably worked over the full mil spec temp range too......

Angus1

RE: Re: RE: CTIS without the "C"

I have a dedicated trail rig, so my tire press. stays the same 5 psi. But to run my locker and air tools I use a 60 cube Co2 bottle. I used to use staun deflaters. What you do is screw them on to your valve stem after yuo have ste them to a preset psi of your choice. Then walk away,when they geet to the slected pressure they close.

acetomatoco

The C in the Dukw system was for Central and not for Computerized for sure... Not bad for the Yellow Truck and Coach Division of GMC in 1942 or so....and how many sets of them were scrapped at White Owl when they converted hundreds of Dukw into wood Skidders for the Southern Pine Industry .... the rear winch and Aframe or an Arch made for a wonderful rig. Lots of houses built with cheap lumber during the after war years... Another good house story of course is the State College PA student housing built by Leonard Grove of Mule Fame ...he used boxes that the Gliders were shipped in for studs and siding. Another wonderful generous man recently lost to our hobby. Sorry I strayed from CTIS.

I have used both many times.

The Staun ones are better. Oasis ones require too much differential pressure to start, the Staun ones require only 3 lbs DP and with the pull on them, you can make them start manually if you like. You cannot start the oasis ones manually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks