• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS

tamangel

just curious if anyone has had experience with CTIS on their rigs.. Only on A3's I guess or ?

Is it reliable or prone to failure more than other components..? Looks like alot of plumbing..

Is it made by Spicer:
http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger/productssolutions/tiremanagement/centraltireinflationsystem(ctis)/index.htm ?

Mike

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I could see how it is plumbed on the A3 front axle and which parts changed/remained the same as on earlier models... :roll:
Manuals, exploded view, pics, parts.... anyone???

G.

tamangel

Hey Gringe, does this link help?:

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@roadranger/documents/content/rr_axts-0015.pdf

Whats strange is that the link I put up before this one now doesnt go where it did. However, if you do a google search and use 'CTIS', about 6 links down is the same one but that comes up..So if any probs with this link, follow the Google instructions and you'll find a working (?) link..

also, here's their sales pitch...Its the same one you have, right?

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@roadranger/documents/content/rr_axsl-0016.pdf

Mike

EdMontana

gringeltaube said:
Wish I could see how it is plumbed on the A3 front axle and which parts changed/remained the same as on earlier models... :roll:
Manuals, exploded view, pics, parts.... anyone???

G.
Sorry, not a good closed up pic of the valve and plumbing...I took the pic while removing the tire/wheel by myself (400 lbs) almost 2 weeks ago as the tire was not holding air (they had not installed the "O" ring!!!)

But anyway, let me know what you want to know....At start I really did not know much and the A3 manual is not specific into details for the plumbing and valve so I contacted CTIS direct and the company owner ( a very nice gentleman from India) called me back and gave me some hints...like, you don't need to deplete the air system to exchange a wheel...is a solenoid that will shut the air system so it will not leak any air, from the tire (if still have pressure) or from the air tanks.

It's pretty simple and is only 45 psi of pressure on highway set up.

I was able to finally drive my M35A3 today as a matter of fact, impressive how quick it gets speed and how nice it brakes, I drove my two A2's yesterday and driving the A3 today I found myself looking for a clutch and reaching for the stick for the first 5 minutes....LOL I enjoy shifting but nothing take away the pleasure of driving an A3...my bad knee joints and shoulders at least like it a lot!!

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Poor man's CTIS ???

Thanks for all the info but ….specifically…….? Please keep it coming!

Specially when running on super singles it is clear that adequate tire pressure according to the terrain makes all the difference in traction, more than any other traction add known to mankind! Let me state this: in loose sand a super-singled deuce doesn’t need any differential locking devices…!!!!
So, actually I’m dreaming of an extremely simplified, non-electronic CTIS dash operated/controlled with a pressure regulator valve + manometer. Possibly two independent circuits, for front + rear tandem axles.
Besides installing (6) specific wheel valves we still need to conduct that compressed air from the axle housing(rear) or steering knuckle(front) to the wheel hub and back. The only way I could imagine is by drilling small diameter (air)passages into spindles and hubs and installing additional appropriate seals in the middle between both wheel bearings. (thinking of how ARB has solved the problem via simple O-rings to get air from the housing to the carrier, with no significant leakage after years…!)

So I’m very curious to see what those A3-engineers have done to achieve this. Also to know if those seals are commonly available as spare parts, either loose or as a complete unit.

So far….:roll:

Gerhard

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yes but doing it on the outside is way easier, but also has its own problems. i also want to see specifically how the wheel plumbing is done.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Gerhard, go back in time and compare the DUKW CTIS system.
Interesting, simple and definitely no electronics! Though.... for a deuce I'd like to avoid exposed air hoses!

Wonder what real benefit that system was for those DUKW s ??? Or at least the idea behind it???

G.

wadereg

I saw alot of buses in mexico w/ a setup similar to that of dukw above. I'm w/ gringel when it comes to the deuce, first rock or large hard wood branch covered by mud and goodbye air.

I like this post, I'm also interested in the workings of the A3 CTIS.

lstmate

DUKW...

For a DUKW it was a necessity becasue they would start in the water, go ashore over sand and rock and then drive down a road. It would have sank in the sand without the CTIS especially when loaded with supplies and coming in out of the water. After it was inland to the unload point then it would go back out to the supply ship to pick up another load os supplies.

I can only imagine how far and how fast a DUKW would sink in sand with fully inflated tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks