• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 6.2L and HUMMUR 6.2L engines. Any differences?

mangus580

tlm47201 said:
I have 2 hummer 6.2's in my garage on stands. The only differences I see, are the oil filter adapter, exhaust manifolds, fuel lines route a bit different, intake /crankcase pressure valve is plumbed on one side only, the air fan clutch, crank pully, and the glow plugs are bullet connectors, nut spade like the cucv. Oh, the oil pan is different. Mine have a tach drive where the vachum pump goes.

You mean this info?

ssgtwright-usmc

Asking what parts should I have on hands as in gaskets and ect...
Will the sending units still work as in oil and temp sending units or are these things I should replace also.

mangus580

Well, you will want all the gaskets involved with those parts that need to be swapped.

If you have an engine out of a 1008, use all the sending units from that engine

superburban

You may run into issues if you have to swap the oil pans. There are two different casting styles for the blocks. The old style has a small, two piece rear main seal. The new blocks have a large, one piece rear main. The oil pans will not interchange on the two (everything else is simple bolt up, though). The easiest way to tell is to look for the turbo oil port (I know, I know, the 6.2 never came with a stock turbo, but the later ones were built from the same blocks as the 6.5 TD engines were.) This port is just in front of the passenger side head. The old style blocks did not have anything here, the new style have a plug threaded into a small port. ie: if you're engine has that plug, it needs the newer, one piece rear main oil pan. If it doesnt have the plug, it needs the old, two-piece style oil pan. Either style can be found easily in the junkyard on a civy vehicle.

jj

You may also find that the oil cooler ports on the 6.5 are half-inch NPT threads and the 6.2 are three-eighths inch NPT. Just need to bush them down to re-use the hoses.

MILRET45

I've done the oil pan swap on a HMMWV block using a CUCV pan. You also have to change the oil pump. The HMMWV pickup goes further forward into the pan and will conflict with the front axle 'notch' in the CUCV pan.

allrevup

I have read in other forums as well as SS that they are well maintined and most engines had beign change to 6.5 as upgrade to compensate for the aditional weight loads and demands so most are in good condition. However many Humvees that served in the middle east had to deal with their talcom powder like sand dust that was very damaging to engines atleast earlly on before they figure proper corrections and maintenace

devilman96

You also have to change the water pump and timing cover over... Yes to the sending units, IP electrical... glow plug swap. Oil pan SHOULD fit pending your spring condition. (mine does) Just buy a full gasket set as you will need 90% of it anyways.

maxxtorque

Here is an overview article of a 6.2L Hummer...
Ninety-three was only the second model year for the civilian Hummers – basically modified military trucks. (You can see the tan military paint showing through on Steve’s Hummer where the factory white paint has peeled away.) This H1 includes a 12,000-pound. Warn winch, undercarriage protection, air-conditioning, rocker-panel protection, a brush guard, tow hitch, and the Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS). This truck has every factory option offered in 1993 except power windows and door locks.
Short link: 6.2L Diesel Hummer H1

SmokeyDod

My son recently changed over the reg 6.2 in his M1028 with one of the 6.2 (90)mod that was a takeout of the Humvee. If you have the 6.2 you are remmoving, you should have now problem. One thing that no one mentioned was that the intake is different on the humvee in that it has the complete open air intake and that it is designed much lower so that when hood on humvee is closed it will clear. He DID NOT have to change the water pump or cover. Of course the GPlugs need swapped and the solonoid in IP needs switched out and you have to use your vac pump so that you can get vac to transmission. If this is not enough I can get a complete list of all that he changed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks