• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV - air conditioner transplant?

corsairguru

Has anyone successfully transplanted an air conditioning system into their CUCV? The one big stumbling block I forsee is of course the twin alternator setup, although there are mounts available that relocate either the a/c compressor or an alternator to the bottom side of the belt drive. I figured a system from a civilian Blazer could be used, or a Vintage Air setup (preferably the stock Blazer setup because you could use the factory controls). Not sure if the dual battery system will be in the way or not.

It gets pretty toasty down here in Louisiana and I figured it might be worth the trouble to try and make it work. Just curious what kind of a headache this might entail. Thanks 8)

devilman96

Easiest way to do it would be to hunt down the brackets from an ambulance. You might be able to buy these from GM still but its doubtful. . . . Look through your TM and you will find the whole set up listed which will give you an idea of what's needed.

Though I have heard 100 people say they were / are going to install AC I can't recall anyone actually doing it. . . Doesn't mean it hasn't been done though.

By the by . . . vintage air is not worth the $ . . . google Danhard AC their stuff is more suited to being used in a MV.

CCATLETT1984

but the ambulance used the 24v big alternator and the dualvac? regulator to charge the front battery, thats not a system that you want to use. i would recommend if AC is that important to you that you simply convert to 12v and put the compressor in place of the passenger alternator.

CCATLETT1984

the only other way would be to buy something like the "red dot" 24v system that they run on skidsters and the new variant of the hmmwv.
you would have to mount it on the roof of the blazer, and prolly and some reinforcements due to the wieght, but it could be done. other than electric hookup it would be easy. just not cheap.

Michael

Their other kit would work to. It puts the evaporator behind the dash instead of on the firewall were the 24v buss is. You would still have to move the blackout lights and 24v gage though. The above would be how the military would probably do it.

airmech3839

Just found out that a guy named Rob Sanchez has a kit. If you e-mail him at rsan@ackits.com and ask about the military M1009 conversion kit he will know what you are talking about and sell you one at @$1,100 but it is supposed to have all you need. At least that is what they say. Have not got it yet. Still waiting on wallet to get heavy first!

swyne

I have an 87 M1028 with the a/c compressor already on the truck. The lines runs down under the cab and stop at the box. What would I need to do and have to make the a/c in the cab?

HeadWizard

My M1009 has working A/C. It's still 24v with the dual alt setup. Factory controls on the dash. It came that way when I bought it from GSA. Yes, it's a "real" M1009.

Don't have pics...... been meaning to take some.

lavarok

Just found out that a guy named Rob Sanchez has a kit. If you e-mail him at rsan@ackits.com and ask about the military M1009 conversion kit he will know what you are talking about and sell you one at @$1,100 but it is supposed to have all you need. At least that is what they say. Have not got it yet. Still waiting on wallet to get heavy first!
Both the OD Iron kit and the kit at C / K Series Military M-1009 Truck / Blazer A/C System - Chevrolet AC Kits for Trucks claim to be complete. Why would you pay more to "Rob Sanchez"?

jcburris

I have converted a chevy truck of that era, I cut a section out of the firewall,of the donor truck, welded it in, bolted everything else in, no problem, not as hard as it sounds, however, you need a diesel donor truck or blazer, the ac wiring harness is seprate from the main truck harness, 24v is the stumbling block on this one! If you had a 24v blower and compressor clutch??

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried the OD Iron kit? If so, what are some of the challenges to getting it installed? After putting out for the kit I doubt I can afford a professional installation so will need to fumble through it myself.

ehasson

I would avoid OD Iron with a passion. They took my money for the Bolt in Air Conditioner and it simply doesn't fit. Tried to long to make it fit, let an auto AC guy try it, and then my truck mechanic and now can't get a reversal on the charge card because all that took over 30 days. First tried to get through to OD Iron but only managed to get one email returned that said I should find someone who knows what they are doing. Since then can net get them on the phone or email or feedback page. Even have the BBB looking into it but no response yet. Now I have to work on a solution to salvage what I can, suffer the loss, and avoid that company at all costs if they do re-appear.