• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv altenator

deercoker

I need help! The police dept had done a scalp job on the 12 conversion on my 85 1009, so I decided to try and at least do the roscommon conv. opting for only 1 alternator, I had a very reputable auto electric shop rebuild it and installed it according to the roscommen equip.directions and everything has been fine for about 2 weeks, since I bought the blazer the voltmeter of course does not work on 12 volt so I installed autozone 12volt in its place in the dash, dash voltmeter readings were between just a little above 14 volts with engine running, I confirmed this with my digital voltmeter at the batteries and was getting about 14.3, for the last few days now my dash voltmeter jumps from over 14 to over 15 volts, at the batteries I get 14.4 to 15.6 volts back and forth, I had the alternator retested at the electric shop and could not duplicate the high readings, I reinstalled it and redid the grounds to the engine and then to the body, did fine for about 30 minutes of running the started the high readings again and noticed the dash lights and headlights would dim and brighten continuously, I have a new belt installed and is tightened properly, any suggestions? could it be that I grounded the alternator to the engine to body but bypassed the frame?

M1008driver

I would look real hard at the Roscommon instructions and see if you can gain an understanding what might be wrong. My alternator is not grounded after the 12 volt conversion because I used the Duralast DL7157 from Autozone for the warranty.

deercoker

My auto electric man found the bulb receptacle contacts for the generator were corroded and once he cleaned up the instrument cluster everything is working fine he says, voltage staying around 14.6 when running, I'll pick it up in the morning and hope it's OK, thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the follow up. We keep preaching that on CUCVs if it is rubber replace it, if it is electrical clean it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks