• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV as my daily vehicle? or bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnicallyTactical

Im wondering if I should use a CUCV, specifically a 1031 as my only vehicle, given it will have daily, generic commute use...or should I have another car too.

Just wondering if its a stupid idea for that because of reasons i dont know of, im pretty new to this stuff.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't speak to a 1031, but my 1009 has been my daily commuter for a while now. It was small potatoes when I had a ten mile commute, but now I'm taking the ferry, driving ~30 miles each way, and parking it in downtown Bellevue every day. Other than a max-effort braking incident it has been great. Nowhere near as quiet as my Jeep WK, and no AC, but I really want to keep the miles off that vehicle.

I don't know that I would use any CUCV as an only vehicle if you have work commitments. Some repairs or parts might take a day, so then you'd need a back-up vehicle to get to work. Also consider the gearing in the 1031. My 1009 can do 65 MPH and keep up with the other cars in the commute.

slantflat

I had an M1008 for about a year. I loved the truck but I drive a lot on the highway, and above 50 it ceased sounding like an engine. It sounded more like screaming banshees. And it beat me to death driving on anything but glass-smooth surfaces. It towed nice and ran like a champ, but after I got a Suburban and another pickup the CUCV was just taking up space so it went away. I wish I still had it because I liked it, but I wouldn't have used it for a daily driver.

MarcusOReallyus

Every time this question comes up, there are posts from people saying "DON'T DO IT! They are not reliable enough!", and posts from people who have been doing it for years.

If you can keep a cheap beater around as a backup, you are better off, of course.

Remember, these things are OLD.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy of DSC02967.jpg

When I acquired my M1028 in 2010 it had 12,338 miles. It now has 12,853 miles. It's going to break my heart when it clicks over to 13,000. I haven't yet driven it in 2013. I cranked it the other day to make sure the batteries were still up. I will probably pull it out and drive it over to the Dove Shoot on Labor day. I won't shoot, but instead just sit on the tailgate a drink a few beers. My daily driver is a new 2013 Avalanche. I am so blessed. Thank you Lord.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have used an M1028a1 since 2007 as an on and off daily driver, lately for my son for commuting but its only a 10 mile round trip max. The truck has had the following things replaced in the past 6 years even though it only had 6700 miles on it when I got it (23,400 now): windshield, driveshaft, fuel tank, fuel tank sender, alternators, starter, belts, tires, motor mount, ignition switch repair, dash pad, seat, transfer case extension seal, batteries. We use an M1028a2 as a backup and it is my other driver and it has had new shocks, 2 new tires, 2 new doors, new steering stabilizer (truck had a new engine put in it before I got it, lucky me) Remember, in stock condition they have no a/c, no radio, only go about 60 tops and are 28 year old trucks. Sure is nice to have my 2012 GMC as the daily work truck.

rivcrazy2000

I have daily driven vehicles much older and much more mechanically unreliable than a CUCV. It's just how much do you potentially want to have to work on it in parking lots and such? My M1009 has given me pretty much no problems though, nothing that has left me high and dry. I'd say go for it.

TechnicallyTactical

Thanks guys sounds like most of you drive them daily and probably more than i would drive mine. But highway would give me an issue unless i just drove at 50-55. Has anyone installed turbo or an overdrive tranny? how much work/money is that and is it working well? I would want to do those two things if i would use it as my only vehicle...the acceleration and top speed would probably wrench me to get another car.

MarcusOReallyus

Tons of people have installed overdrive trannies and turbos. Do a search and you'll get enough reading to keep you busy for a few days.

Actually, there's a huge benefit to keeping the thing stock that most people don't realize - you learn patience.

TechnicallyTactical

What kind of benefits? Or is that what I should read up on? Should be able to take one for a drive soon, my friend is driving down to Georgia to pick up a 1028 next week or so. I doubt I will do anything to it for a long while. Too much money right now and im talking as if I have one already which I dont. Best to focus on one thing at a time huh haha.

ABN173

Thanks guys sounds like most of you drive them daily and probably more than i would drive mine. But highway would give me an issue unless i just drove at 50-55. Has anyone installed turbo or an overdrive tranny? how much work/money is that and is it working well? I would want to do those two things if i would use it as my only vehicle...the acceleration and top speed would probably wrench me to get another car.
depends, larger tires (37" HMMWV) on my M1008 give a bit more speed at lower RPM's. Also the M1009 Blazer was geared for higher speeds than the M1008/M1028/ M1031's. On a unrelated note I just drove my Deuce and a half from WA to GA then on NC. Nothing wrong with driving 55, everyone is in way to much of a rush these days anyway.

hunderliggur

I drive 47 miles each way on the highway in a M1009. I do have an alternative vehicle for now which has come in handy at times. If you want to learn patience, drive a deuce (I do that too for fun or to pick up at GL near work). A CUCV is not for everyone, but is for some.

bigginstactical

Any vehicle can be a daily driver.... Keep up on maintenance. Its mechanical and things fail.... whether they are made in 20013 or 1986 it doesn't matter. Stuff breaks! Older obviously has more potential to fail but by no means does it actually mean it will. Being a mil. truck some parts can take longer then a trip to car quest to get but its not usually a big deal. I plan on driving mine a lot.... Basically it boils down to what you want.... if you want to drive a model A to work everyday there is no reason you can't. I do like the feeling of having a newer "nice" rig I can hop in and travel with though. Just personal preference. Just remember it doesn't matter how old it is it can be fixed with the right amount of money and time.

cliffyp

I drive my 1028 60 miles a day. I cruise nicely at 60-65 with my 700r4 trans. I do have another vehicle because there are days when the CUCV is down for repairs. If you only have one vehicle, even a brand new one, have a back up plan because there are days when things just happen. I would never want to have only one mode of transportation.

detroitdiesel4x4

I have a yard full of junk trucks i keep around for the heck of it 8) but i have an 86 toyota pickup i daily drive and usually only take the 1008 out for "sunday drives" and run errands if i'm not in a huge rush.

I was doing some head work in my toy and that was down for a week or two, so ended up DD'ing the 1008 and it doesnt sound as good as it really is. I love my 08 to death, and its fun to drive and a work horse on the farm, but the gears are just killer. I dont like to take it over 50, and usually cruise around 35-40ish but if there is traffic behind me it doesnt do to bad at 45....

Personally, i dont like it as a daily driver because i just feel bad going fast....if you dont mind making the truck scream go for it. I'm not sure it will harm anything driving 50-55 for long distances but the few times i've done it it was just like driving any other truck.

Realistically it can be done for sure. Its just a matter of how hard you want to push it. Personally i dont like to, but if you do it'll keep up with traffic, its a pretty smooth ride and it handles pretty good at those speeds, and looks cool doing it. These things are a blast to drive!

I live in a rural area with alot of long open roads, so doing 40ish just gives the illusion i'm going SLOW! But i've put plenty of miles on mine and really havnt had any problems with it, deffinatly reliable.

85CUCVtom

I drive a M1009 every day, its my only vehicle. Its never really left me stranded and is fun to drive. I do plan on getting a second vehicle though.

Nico

daily driver since 1998...[thumbzup]

i guess the most problems are coming up
if they where out of duty for to long.

well maintanancing + daily driving keeps your cucv running like :cookoo:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks