• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Battery Recommendations

Winston Smith206

Hey Gents,

I have an 84' M1009 that needs new batteries. I've searched through the threads and only found mention of Type 31 and some old links that don't work anymore. Does anyone have a name and type of battery that they have been happy with?

Thank you

CARC686

Interstate sells batteries of average quality for 25 years ago with an average warranty for 25 years ago, which makes them exceptional by today's standards.

Edited to add that the OE specification is 6TL. Two of them weigh 150 pounds and you'll spend $500 at a minimum replacing them. Group 31 are cheaper, lighter, more available, and do the same job. Just put a block of wood under them and use the OE battery retainers.

Last edited:

sbgarage

I forget the group sizes.. I have a medium sized equipment battery (came with 2, only this one passed load test) and one standard line rural king car battery in the cucv. Moved larger batt to behind passenger seat because inner fender is soft and back batt bracket had little support. Fender, bumper and grille are all compromised from a small collision and in my opinion isn't worth the shekels to fork out to repair properly.

I have two rural king platinum regular size car batteries for my diesel k10.

They are US made by Exide and the warranty is alright for the price. With a core, regular line runs around 60 and platinum is around 120

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gents,

I have an 84' M1009 that needs new batteries. I've searched through the threads and only found mention of Type 31 and some old links that don't work anymore. Does anyone have a name and type of battery that they have been happy with?

Thank you
Groupe 31 is the way to go. Any brand would be just fine. They are a used in many of the over the road trucks and are very dependable.
I used "off the shelf" NAPA brand for my ride, and they have been in my M1009 since 2013 and still going strong.
Expect to pay about $150 each and I strongly suggest you replace both batteries at the same time.
They will also fit in the original battery trays without any modifications.

UNIMOG-GUY

I’ve got 2 Red top Optimas from 2014 in mine. Haven’t ever had a problem until the alternator died. Hooked it up to the Optima charger and it‘s back in the truck.
I know a bunch of people have had issues with Optima batteries since they moved their manufacturing plant. However that hasn’t been my experience. Your experience may vary.

cucvrus

I just bought a set of OEM A C Delco Group 31 part number 1111. That is what came from the factory in the CUCV. I am putting them in my current build M1009 build. Time to get it running and out in the daylight after many years of being in the barn.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have been running two Optimas for three years without issue.

Mark

20200404_165135.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the 6tl in all mine. I found different availability depending on where you live though. I'm not far from a decent military base and found a interstate battery dealer that has pallets of them in stock all the time. Right at 400 a pair. The post mounts for the battery hold down can be moved to the outer out the battery tray to fit. 1/4-20 ready rod works as a replacement if you need it. Group 31s are what gm put in them from the factory if you want to go that route too.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I just bought a set of OEM A C Delco Group 31 part number 1111. That is what came from the factory in the CUCV. I am putting them in my current build M1009 build. Time to get it running and out in the daylight after many years of being in the barn.
And then the next day I went to work and had a minor heart attack. I am sitting tight at the moment recovering. I guess it is getting time to slow a bit. My personal CEL came on and I drove myself to the hospital. Recovering at home. I have plans that keep getting sidetracked.

nyoffroad

And then the next day I went to work and had a minor heart attack. I am sitting tight at the moment recovering. I guess it is getting time to slow a bit. My personal CEL came on and I drove myself to the hospital. Recovering at home. I have plans that keep getting sidetracked.
Time to slow down a bit, I had a similar wake up call 2 years back. Went to dinner with my wife and woke up with EMS doing CPR, had a second episode a couple hours later in the hospital, bright and early next morning I got a pace maker installed. It changed my way of thinking and my outlook on life in general. Give it some time and do what the DR's say, good luck and wishing you well!

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vicky is reaching out telling you to take it easy.
Glad to see you're taking some recovery time.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow @cucvrus ...

Good for you! Glad you made it back with us.
I had a stroke about a year ago. Spent about a week in the hospital. RotoRooter an artery made it all better. Yeah, it is a mess. Again, really glad you are better!