• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Bed Bolts and LMC

Crider281

Well I decided to take the bed off of our m1028 to help replace our fuel tank so I figured I would grab some new bed bolts. Now I removed 4 long bolts and 4 short bolts. The front 4 were the same size and this is where the confusion began. According to LMC and others the 2nd set of bolts are the only long bolts (12" roughly) while the front 2 and rear remaining 4 are the same size. Our truck has the front 2 going through those frame supports all the way through the frame. Not sure about this?

SO a quick trip to the hardware store and the guy said he didn't have anything over 10 inches so I went to LMC. I get the bolts in from the 32 piece kit (part # 30-0120) which includes 2 long bolts and 6 shorter bolts. Well the 2 long bolts are only like 10.5 inches, so they don't even go through the frame to even get a nut on. I saw this was posted before and I took a chance hoping that person got the wrong set.. nope! So I'll be contacting LMC to see what's up. But heads up!

The other weird thing I can't figure is why their diagram shows 2 smaller bolts on the front when I took 2 long bolts out. Anyone know ?

Thanks!
Adam

cucvrus

The m1028 had the longer bolts in the front 4 positions. I may have 4 of the original long bolts. You must have a terrible hardware store. I can buy longer carriage bolts at a local country hardware store.
https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/...MIkNvj5dnP3wIVDIlpCh2ROAW9EAQYASABEgI1OfD_BwE
https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/...MI49XTg9rP3wIVBhxpCh3fRA6GEAQYASABEgIr7_D_BwE
I just did a quick google and found them.
I also know they have a crush tube that runs fron frame flange to frame flange on the CUCV M1028. Let me know if I can assist.

Crider281

Thanks for posting that GM72K10. I will have to do some digging on those originals, a quick glance on eBay brought up a few "expensive" bolts :).

I contacted classicparts.com and they also offer a 10.5" bolt. Not sure what's going on and why they have so many wrong options. LMC and classicparts probably use the same hardware.

Crider281

The m1028 had the longer bolts in the front 4 positions. I may have 4 of the original long bolts. You must have a terrible hardware store. I can buy longer carriage bolts at a local country hardware store.
https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/...MIkNvj5dnP3wIVDIlpCh2ROAW9EAQYASABEgI1OfD_BwE
https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/...MI49XTg9rP3wIVBhxpCh3fRA6GEAQYASABEgIr7_D_BwE
I just did a quick google and found them.
I also know they have a crush tube that runs fron frame flange to frame flange on the CUCV M1028. Let me know if I can assist.
Now we are getting somewhere. Yes the crush tube is intact and that long bolt goes through it. Is this a 1028 difference vs say a 1008? We have both trucks but I havn't crawled under a 1008 to check yet.

Crider281

I think what originally was going on was the square tube is much shorter on these vs the originals. Shouldn't make a difference really I suppose.

Crider281

My only guess is these 10.5" bolts might be for a 1/2 ton since LMC doesn't specify in their catalog.

CUCVRUS- If you are willing to check/sell if they are in good shape I might be interested..

cucvrus

If you want the originals
14013721 gm long bolt
15599971 gm is the short bolt
Both are discontinued…not available.

You are not going to many genuine GM parts for these trucks anymore. You either have NOS or used in decent condition. Other then that you improvise adapt and overcome. And I still have original GM radiator isolator cushions for the CUCV's I bought in 1995 in the GM packaging . Made in China. You take what you can get or do without. To me I don't care where it's made. Chinese bullets work just as well as US made. .

Crider281

That first part number 14013721 measures out .500x13.00x10.620 which would be too short. The LMC bolt is roughly the same and doesn't come through the bottom part of the frame to get a nut on. Just fyi.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plenty of trucks in junk yards with good bolts.
I found a complete GM set on eBay for $40

Use LMC only if you have to.

cucvrus

What am I missing here? So if truck A has genuine GM bolts holding the bed on and truck frame securely and they are all the correct size 1/2" 13 carriage bolts. Now truck B has 1/2" 13 carriage bolts all the same correct length that were bought at Ace hardware. Truck A is a better truck? It is a bolt for crying out loud. It secures items together. If it is made in China, USA, India, Cambodia. Where ever. It is just a bolt and when tight it does the job it was intended to do. I would not spend the time or effort to remove them from a junk yard bed. Not even in my own lot of parts vehicles. I would spend the few dollars at the hardware store attach the bed and call it a day. Just saying. Most trucks in the scrap yard are rusty and the bolts will spin in the bed floor. It's just a bolt and nothing more. I have used the long original bed bolts to secure my winches to the barn beams in my barn. I know I have a few more in a bucket upstairs of the barn. I will look if they are that valuable. Have a Great Day. And have you checked your bed bolts lately?

TGP (IL)

The CUCV M1008/1028 is based on the K30 as most know.
LMC truck lists No parts for a C K30 one ton.
Only Half and Three quarter ton tucks.

The one ton frame is deeper than the 1/2 or 3/4 ton frame.
However some body/misc. parts interchange.

Do as suggested and buy Quality carriage bolts and roll on.

I don't agree that all bolts are the same.
Quality and strength vary greatly.
Tom

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolts are NOT created equal.
No matter the size or usage.
USA made bolts are far superior than foreign made ones.
GM Canada’s are excellent also.

As mentioned, the 1 ton frame requires different length bolts than 1/2 or 3/4 ton frames.

You might not think it matters, but when a Heavy load with a high CG is secured to the bed, the forces on the cheap bolts might be enough for a few of them to fail in a turn, etc.
Cascade failure is a possibility.

Crider281

I just wanted to bring it to everyone attention that the "long" bolts in the LMC kit will NOT work with our CUCV's, nothing more nothing less. I had seen this issues brought up a few years back and I took a chance on them knowing this but I was hoping that was a fluke. From internet browsing and other research the 1 ton trucks must have a deeper frame and require a 12" long bolt. I took out 4 12" bolts on our truck and 4 shorter bolts, I think 4.5" range (I wrote it down somewhere). The LMC "short" bolts are just a hair longer, but should fit no problem. That is all.

There are different quality and grades of bolts, yes. I don't really care what goes back in my truck....but I have 3 of those long bolts that are broken, so I will need 3, but I will just do all 4. I think Lowe's has a 12" carriage bolt that should work and that's my plan as of now.

The original bolts have a longer square piece than most of the hardware variety.

nyoffroad

Tinstar;2184776 You might not think it matters said:
If the forces are that great that a bed bolt might snap you've got greater problems, like your already rolled over! I can agree that all bolts are not created equally, but it's a freaking bed bolt! A simple carriage bolt. Not saying it's right thing to do but I can't count the number of trucks I've seen with short bolts going thru just the top pf the frame or even some missing and they hauled wood campers and all sorts of stuff.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the forces are that great that a bed bolt might snap you've got greater problems, like your already rolled over! I can agree that all bolts are not created equally, but it's a freaking bed bolt! A simple carriage bolt. Not saying it's right thing to do but I can't count the number of trucks I've seen with short bolts going thru just the top pf the frame or even some missing and they hauled wood campers and all sorts of stuff.
True to a point.

I was referring a cheap bolt failing at a much lighter load than intended.
The rest can fail in quick fashion before the truck even starts to go over.
It’s happed before.

Likely......no
Possible...yes

Terracoma

Now we are getting somewhere. Yes the crush tube is intact and that long bolt goes through it. Is this a 1028 difference vs say a 1008? We have both trucks but I havn't crawled under a 1008 to check yet.
Yes, I believe the long bolts and crush tubes are supplementary support for the trucks designed for use as shelter carriers.

For some reason, the -20P TM seems to list the UOC for all chassis' to have the four longer bolts and tubes... But my M1008, nor my M1031, have these items. However, the M1028 that I parted out definitely had them.

Last edited:

Crider281

Well, I crawled under one of our m1008's and no tubes. So it uses only 2 Long bolts and 6 short bolts. First set short, second set long, third and fourth set short.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks