• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv belt add, 2 belts on drivers side alt.

richingalveston

I am putting this out there for any one to shoot holes in the idea. looking at the HMMWV parts, the crank and water pump pully are both 4 belt. The power steering is a three belt and alt a 2 belt.
I am planning to upgrade my 12volt alt on my cucv to a 200 amp. To do this I need second belt to that alt.
It appears this is possible if I change my pully's to the HMMVW pully's.

I will have to space my passenger alt out some in order to do this but that is the only bracket change needed. The passenger alt is mounted on the inside of the bracket and I may just have to move it to the outside of the existing bracket.

This would allow the inside belt to go to the power steering pump, the next two belts would go to power steering pump and the drivers alt. and the last belt would go to the passenger alt.

With a 200 amp 12Volt alt. The electrical system would now have a full 100 amps of 12 volt and a full 100 amps of 24 volt.

Let me know your thoughts on the idea. I am looking to do this so I can have 100 percent of my 24 volts dedicated to the Inverter I plan on installing to run my AC unit.
Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

richingalveston

I have thought about it some more and I think it would be easier to upgrade the passenger alt to the high output 12 volt alt and then make the drover alt the 24volt alt.
All that would be needed is the HMMWV crank and water pump pullies and to put a double pully on the passenger side alt. Then some fairly simple rewiring to make the switch. This would be easier than trying to space the passenger alt out further.
It will also allow the addition of the air compressor that others have done by putting a double pully on the drivers alt and mounting the compressor on the drivers side. due to the turbo there is no room to put a compressor on the passenger side.

I welcome any and all comments.
Rich

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your going to use HMMWV pulleys then maybe you should use a HMMWV 200 amp alternator that also has the 50 amp 12v output? Then you could remove the passenger side alternator all together. Just a thought.

richingalveston

I was wanting to put the York air compressor on using a double pully like others have done. I would probably rather use the 12volt 100 amp alt and a 200 amp 24 volt alt if I could make that work with the belt config. Most likely a third battery would be required.
I would need the three belt power steering pump pully to go with the 2 belt 200 amp hmmwv alt. then use the 4th belt for the 12 volt alt.
A 200 amp alt would work best with my 3000 watt inverter. And I could use an electric compressor.
thanks for the input,

I will have to see what the cost would be on the 200 amp 24 volt alt. a Three belt power steering pump pully and The bracket for the 200 amp alt. not sure if the hummwv power steering pump bracket is different from the cucv but that may have to change when I change the bracket for the alt.

If any one has a source for the power steering pump pully alt. bracket and 200 amp 24 volt (possibly with the 12 volt output) alt then send me a pm. It may be cheaper than the high output 12 volt alt I am looking at.

Thanks,
Rich

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run an Outback FX2024M 24V/2000 watt inverter on the stock system with no issues. I also run twin Outback 24V compressors with no issues. And some 24V lights. And a 24V winch. Obviously I don't run them all at once. They are all military surplus off of HMMWV's and MRAP's. My only concern is the front battery getting worked more than the rear so I'm installing a 24V to 12V 120 amp converter to connect the 12V system to, then I'll be drawing equally from both batteries all the time. I may want to go the HMMWV alternator route in the future if this all works as planned.

richingalveston

my AC pulls about 1400 watts running and has a 2500+ spike at start up . The inverter I am looking at has 3000 amp capacity load and can handle a 9000 amp spike. Right now in stock form I can only produce about 2400 watts and that is all at 24 volt. For each amp of 12volt I use I loose one amp of 24. With the 12 volt load of the truck and the other gear I plan to run The 24 volt capability will probably be cut in half which will be a problem for the AC.

I need to upgrade my system so I can run all of my led lights. I have 10 led lights and need to add 4 more plus I have 12 rock lights. My LED lights provide light 360 degrees around the truck. I do not know the load yet but it will be between 25 and 30 amps at 24volt. I also have 7 IR led lights that run on 12 volts and 2 conventional that run on 24 volts. I wont run the IR at the same time as the white lights but since 2 of the lights are conventional the amp load will be close to the LED white light load.

And my final two lights are the 24volt Aircraft landing lights that are 450 watts each. So at this time I cannot run them with the AC and I can only run about 4 of the LED lights with them (not that you need anything with them).

Items I plan to add (some have already been purchased but not installe) are, video camera, 4 camera DVR system, two monitors, a laptop computer, a radio, a scanner, a fridge, a compressor and a second winch . I already have a cb radio and front winch with the plans to add a rear.
The only items that will only run when needed are the compressor, and both winches.

I Think the 200 amp 24 volt HMMWV alt with one 100 amp 12volt alt would be the best set up and provide enough power to run all of my items. The white led lights can run on 12 volt or 24 so I can move as much of those to the 12 volts source as possible to keep as much 24 volt power available as possible for the AC and fridge.

The other option i have is to upgrade one alt to a 200 amp which will give me 100 amps of 24 and 12 volts but I will probably be pushing that to its limits so having a full 200 amps of 24 volts would be ideal.

My 1009 is being built as an Overlander, a very compact one. It will have everything but the kitchen sink when and if I ever stop building on it and by that time I may figure out how to get the kitchen sink in there also.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damn... Your running quite a system there. Have you thought about converting to the HMMWV 6.5 serpentine belt system and running the 400 amp alternator?

Thanks for sharing all that info. That is quite a truck you've built.

richingalveston

I have thought about the serp system but that is a lot of parts to gather. I only need to double the belt for one alt and can do that with changing 3 pully's.
I also like the idea of having two alts. The truck can run on just one and I can shut everything else down until I get the bad alt repaired.
With one alt, I am dead on the trail. I could carry a spare but that is a lot to carry. I already have a rebuild kit for the 27si and that is easy to carry so I have some easy insurance to get the truck home or at least out of the woods.

been building the truck for 5 to 6 years now and probably have a couple more to go. I will be driving it soon but additions and improvements will still be made.
400 amps would be nice but I think I can do with 200 +100

Thanks for the input. now I just need to find the parts. I believe I have located a crank and water pump pully and all I need is the hydro pump pully (three belt) and the alt. with needed brackets. Please pm me anyone who has these parts.
Thanks
Rich

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks