• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Blackout Lamp Swap

48cj2a

Does anyone know of a good bright white LED replacement lamp for the CUCV bumper blackout lamps.

Especially the rears to be used as backup lights?

CREE, Feniex Brands or simular

Last edited:

48cj2a

That's the idea, but in the super bright LEDs like the emergency strobe design rather than the dim clearance lamps.

cucvrus

Can't help you. This is budget building. I take them clearance lamps off wrecked trailers and truck bodies that are going to be put thru the shredder. Freebies. Anything brighter then that will surely get you a ticket. Happy Holiday.

MarcusOReallyus

I had the same thought for the bumper BO lights, to serve as additional turn signal lights, but those flasher strobes are pricey! NorthernTool.com sells them for around 50 bucks each. That's a bit much!

I'm skeptical of getting enough light out of those small openings to be useful as backup lights. Even with a good light there, it's not much area. Maybe with something like this....

As for the grill mounted one.... I can't see any way to get anything useful there. I may replace it with a round driving light or fog light.

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpgI mounted LED license lamp in the rear bumper of an M1009. They worked fairly well. I should just mount 2 HID KC day lighters on the roof rack. 1.2 million CP@. They will light up the path when the back up lights go on.

MarcusOReallyus

That would be nice. Living out in the country, it's pretty dark sometimes when I get home. Stock backup lights just don't cut it. I have some off-road lights that came with a Jeep I bought, that are headed for my rear bumper just for that reason.

48cj2a

This is what I kinda have in mind and yes they are very pricey. Be nice to find some used ones or a wrecked emergency vehicle that has them:

Feniex Phantom T4s are nearly the perfect size for the rears and I read somewhere on the innerweb they are 1200 lumens.

hqdefault.jpg

rsh4364

For back up lights look at kc hilites # kcc-517,I have a set but haven't installed yet,my plan is to cut out an opening in rear bumper to install.I have a nos bumper I picked up at Findlay show for a whopping $20.Im gonna put them where blk outs were,enlarge cutout and weld a mounting tab in also.Gonna try and put a splash guard in also.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

December 23rd, 2014.

Perhaps using rubber bucketed 24 VDC tractor headlights mounted on bumper clamps on each end of the bumper underneath would get you some backup lights without the expense of LED's? Tractor Supply usually has them reasonable.;-)

cucvrus

The back up lamps on a CUCV are 12 Volt as are the B/O lamps. CUCV's are all 12 volt lighting. You could wire them for 24 volt but you would need to use a toggle switch for the operation.

MarcusOReallyus

The back up lamps on a CUCV are 12 Volt as are the B/O lamps. CUCV's are all 12 volt lighting. You could wire them for 24 volt but you would need to use a toggle switch for the operation.
whathesaid.gif

The only thing 24v about the CUCV is the starter circuit (mostly) and part of the glow plug circuit.

Other than that, it's all 12 volts. Standard automotive accessories welcome, no 24v stuff needed.

MarcusOReallyus

I really like that flashing brake light. A great idea, IMO. I'm just wondering if Officer Friendly would agree. 30+ years ago, a company started making an add-on brake light for motorcycles that sensed deceleration and flashed the light faster for harder deceleration. Slow down easy, and it gave a lazy, once in a while flash. Climb on it hard and it gave a furious burst of GET YOUR ATTENTION NOW. It was great.

The DOT said they had to stop selling them because they were "flashing red lights", and only emergency vehicles can display flashing red lights. Idiot bureaucrats. aua

Does anybody know if these are legal? I mean, "know". Just because they are for sale and in use doesn't automatically make them legal.

tim292stro

In California it is legal, with state reciprocity it' legal for Californians everywhere :)

"...
(c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by
Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four
times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of
the brakes.
..."

Like I mentioned those amazon lights are pretty killer for the price. Here's a picture, two are 60degree floods and two are 30 degree spots. The floods are in real to be honest, it's surprising how much light t

photo 2-14_kindlephoto-22784854.jpghey put out. Great off road or when trying to watch for deer or elk crossing the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks