• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Build... Here We Go Again...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck looks great. Any info on the winch and the mods to mount it? It (and the truck) look perfect. How long has it been since you picked it up? 3 years?

devilman96

The truck looks great. Any info on the winch and the mods to mount it? It (and the truck) look perfect. How long has it been since you picked it up? 3 years?
Yep... 3 years to the month!

Winch is one I found at Sam Club of all places. I think they rate it at 10k (my arse) but with a doubler block I am sure it will get it out of most messes. I mostly bought it because it was one of the few I could lay a tape measure on and knew it would fit into the grill assy with out killing the over all look. I honestly didn't know it would be such a glove fit when I started but it sure did work out nice in the end.

Labor hours... I dont know... I dont wanna... The main part of dissembling, painting and reassembling wasn't bad you could do that in about 100 - 120 hours if you moved fast on a stock truck. It was things like modding the firewall and such that just KILLED me. Keeping the heater for example probably cost me 40 hours alone. Over all it is WELL over 1000 hours and I probably have another 200 that I need to put into it. It just takes an INCREDIBLE amount of time to sit there and hand fab parts. I mean that stupid hammer in the back was $30... but it took 3 hours to make the knobs and screw it into place... The crap just adds up!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep... 3 years to the month!
...............................................Over all it is WELL over 1000 hours and I probably have another 200 that I need to put into it.......
Hi devilman! Glad to see you around here more often. Also glad to know you have enough time (and $$$$) on hand to spare.........

PM sent!

G.

bdc

That was an amazing thread and an AMAZING rig!! This is probably a stupid question (knowing now that your could probably fabricate a scale model of the Eiffel Tower with just a couple of pieces of scrap angle iron) but did you have to fabricate brackets for those front seats to mount to your CUCV? If so, any pointers?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome truck!! I'd love to hear it run now that the intake and overhaul is complete! How quiet is it now from inside the cab vs. outside?
I put about 100 miles on it at the FL Rally in Feb. It's every bit as quiet as my 91 Suburban with a factory 6.2. The exhaust has no muffler. It's not very loud but the turbo noise is very distinct.

andytk5

Absolutely amazing!

Are there any more finished interior shots? Id love to see the finished seats and computer/console setup you made!

Thanks for such a great thread!

Last edited:

bshupe

Getting to the end of this thread is like waking up from a wet dream. Especially the part where the truck is not here.

It seems like we all would love to see a set of final build photos and maybe another little video like the one you posted early on, that was really cool.

Thanks for letting us share in your love fest.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me some time and I'll try to generate some more pics and video. He is setting everything up for the 6th Annual Florida Rally right now and is in the midst of a trailer build for the Oh-9. The trailer is just as wild as the truck with a removable self supporting steel topper and aux fuel supply. The Oh-9 will be at the FL Rally this approaching weekend.

Any idea what the rear seat is out of yet? I was going to be going out to some of the local pick-n-pulls in the next few days. Trying to find a new split front bench or pair of buckets for the front, and a nice rear seat like devilman's would be icing on the cake.

HOWEY

Onboard air.

Did he get around to fitting the onboard air?
If so could you snap a couple of pics of that also please :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks