• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV custom bumper

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the OP is making these to sell I will take 1 for a 1028. Pm me what you need and take your time I am in no hurry.

ssdvc

I like it. If I had one made I think I would mount the entire bumper higher by about 1 to 1.5 inches. That would give you a bit better approach angle up front and make the top of the brush guard even with the hood line. I would also put a winch mount in the center.

On my wish list.

Im doing a rear bumper first then I will get a winch for it. Same guy is cutting a spot for a winch, I wasnt sure at time of making it which winch I would get. But I have it down now to a Warn vr12000.

im putting the winch within the front bumper to protect it. Cut out a hole for the fairlead etc. Picking up new rear bumper saturday hopefully, its one from an m1008. Than if tings go as planned rhino lined on tues afternoon. Assuming all my body work is done on the floor panels by then.

MadMax Thunderdome ready sweet. Where are you putting the winch?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How thick is the plate used for the main portion of the bumper? 1/4" seem about right? Schedule 40 pipe for the center of the brushguard?

I contemplate placing m939 shackle mounts and shackles positioned similar to where they are on the 5ton...

How thick is the plate used for the main portion of the bumper? 1/4" seem about right? Schedule 40 pipe for the center of the brushguard?

I contemplate placing m939 shackle mounts and shackles positioned similar to where they are on the 5ton...
1/4" is correct for all the plate. Went to 3/8 on frame connections. Not sure on the pipe in the center, sorry. 5 ton shackles aren't a bad idea at all, very clean mount. I mainly mounted mine this way to place the jaw of my hi-lift under the square stock and let the shackle hand and prevent the jaw from slipping off. This works well for me except I hate the hi-lift on snow. For that reason I use an X-jack in the winter season and it's much easier and safer for the wife.

Update with winch and lights. The rear bumper is nothing special, just a m1008 bumper. Found a guy on expedition portal that sold it to me for a fair price. It's so much more practical than that stock bumper. So I removed the old bumper, cut the frame rails far back and welded new mounts. It's not very pretty but we love it's practical function and I think it cost us eighty bucks or so.

photo 2-14_kindlephoto-22784854.jpg
badb1581-6c83-4d95-88b7-648bdb448602_kindlephoto-22873822.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks