• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV done?

mcsteffensr

I just finished the turbo install. I started with a bone stock model. I personally installed every mod. there is way too much to list in just one post and there is a lot more than what I took pictures of. I have done a great deal of my research on this site and I have to thank all the other members for their contributions and to the moderators for keeping this site going. it has been a pleasure building this truck and there are more mods to come. For now here is a short list of some of the Mods

4" lift
goodyear duratrack 315/75R16
banks sidewinder turbo kit
nostalgic air A/C system (modified to fit with the turbo)
A/C delco dual output Alternator
HWMMV Hydraulic winch
custom plate steel bumper (built by me using 3/16" plate)
electric fan conversion (24v fans)
aluminum radiator shroud (built by me out of 16ga aluminum)
custom aluminum center console (built by me out of 16 gauge aluminum )
grant steering wheel
custom battery tray (built by me out of 16ga steel, 1" square tube, and 2" strap
optima batteries

1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

The future holds driving and work lights and some more work in the back. I have already put a lot of work into the back of the truck but I will save that end of the truck for another post and when I get the rest of those parts installed. Questions?

Last edited:

mcsteffensr

T.Highway - Thanks I have been excited about this project and will be posting progress including more pictures :)

Ke5eua - the alt. is an A/C Delco 7256N 95 amp (constant rating) it uses a transformer on the back to produce the 24volts. the truck does only uses the 24v while running for charging and the fans, the glow plugs and starter only draw power from the system before starting so the 24v system does not need to be a robust system. I looked at using a HMMWV dual voltage alt. but the 12v output on the 200amp model is only 50amps not enough for my application I wanted to keep the 24volt side for the fans and the slave start system. and the 95 amp 12v side is plenty for running the rest of the truck.

Stonepicker1 - the A/C system is a nostalgic air Part #CK-8386M the kit is made for CUCvs with the dual alt. setup. the kit is very complete with all the vents, controls and everything you need to install. the original compressor bracket puts the compressor right where the banks turbo fits and includes a pully to mount to the crank to drive it. I obviously had to move my compressor when the turbo kit came in and I saw that I needed that space. it is the reason I had to go to the single Alt setup. the evaporator and blower unit mounts behind the dash and is unseen when installed. the blower that comes with the kit is great and flow a great deal more air that the stock blower. it keeps the cab nice and chilly in the vegas heat. the kit does not give you much advice for charging the system however and it is because depending on your hose installation and length the system can vary in refrigerant capacity. you kind of have to experiment with it till you get it right. mine is running 1.5lbs R-134a.

tombguard500

Now that is nice! I will be posting pics of my setup in a few months. Along the very same lines as you, but man, you have one nice ride Let us know how the truck "moves" now with the turbo?

Last edited: