• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV door question

reaper556

I need to either reskin or totally replace the driver side door on the M1008 I picked up Friday due to a large dent it received. Are the doors on these different than the civilian counter parts? I notice a lack of holes for wires to pass thru for power windows and door lighting if the civilian If the civilian models even had lighting then.

Were all Custom Deluxe doors like this? I don't want to order a door with extra holes that isn't correct. I may be better of having reskined?

cucvrus

You have a broad selection of donor parts. GMC / Chevrolet , Blazer Jimmy , Suburban, pickups 2 and 4 door 1500-3500, 10-30 series cab chassis 1500-3500 even the bigger 50-70 series have the same doors. They will all be in the 1981 - 1991 model range. Older doors 1973 - 1980 will fit but they have interior holes at different places and the glass is thicker on the older model years. Good used doors are getting harder to find in the north east. And beware of the import doors. Most are not as good a fit and the spot welds are weaker then the OEM GM replacements. If you have a rust free GM OEM door. You may want to opt to just get the dent repaired.

reaper556

You have a broad selection of donor parts. GMC / Chevrolet , Blazer Jimmy , Suburban, pickups 2 and 4 door 1500-3500, 10-30 series cab chassis 1500-3500 even the bigger 50-70 series have the same doors. They will all be in the 1981 - 1991 model range. Older doors 1973 - 1980 will fit but they have interior holes at different places and the glass is thicker on the older model years. Good used doors are getting harder to find in the north east. And beware of the import doors. Most are not as good a fit and the spot welds are weaker then the OEM GM replacements. If you have a rust free GM OEM door. You may want to opt to just get the dent repaired.
It is rust free, always been in TX. I will post pics of the truck this evening. I would prefer to repair the door in the interest of keeping it as original as I can. It got swiped hard but no tear in the door skin so hopefully it can be straitened out or just a new outer skin put on at the most

cucvrus

I would have offered to sell you a door until I seen your address. The shipping would be painful. I have several rust free doors. A good body man can repair just about anything. I have a friend that does body work. Many times he is doing repairs on antiques that replacenment parts don't exist. He fixs things that I find amazing. Many of the true body men and mechanics are gone. Most are just parts replacers at best. I admit to doing more of that myself lately. Quicker and most times more cost effective. But I do save a few things others deem unfixable. Most times newer is not better and old used oem parts are better then the import replacements. Have a nice day.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to contact another member militarytruck.com

They are in Liberty Hill, TX.

nyoffroad

My drivers door dent is severe enough that I fear the metal is stretched beyond just pulling out the dent. That tool will work for one it has on the bed side though
That's why old time body men had shrinking hammers and shrinking dollies, and of course a torch. Now most guys under 40 or so have no idea how to shrink stretched metal and with labor rates it might not be worthwhile. should be lots of used doors kicking around down there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks