• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Do's & Dont's

Bummy

I work on my 1028 when mad. :grd: But then again it's my daily driver. No hobby vehicle here. Lol do what ever you want its your ride bro. But yeah it's best to mess with as little as possible, especially the electrical systems. I am still chasing after the previous owners "fixes" with the wonderful world of Wilson remanned parts:deadhorse:

IMHO THIS IS WRONG.
New Venture suggests 80W90 weight gear oil ever since the np205 was released.. The military starts using the np205 in the M1031 and others and changes the reccomended fluid from 80W90 gear oil to ATF.

Transfer Case (205)
Fluid is Dexron III Capacity is listed as 5 qts.Level should be approx. 1/4” below edge of filler plug hole Drain and fill every 2 years/24,000 miles, or annually if under heavy use

cucvrus

I had Dexron ATF in my M1028A1 for 19 years and 173K miles and it did not harm a thing. That is enough proof for me that the fluid did its job. I ran the lock outs engaged from November to April/May for 19 years. I only changed the fluid once a year. It was always clean and free of particulates. That was a lot of off road miles on logging trails and in the woods. That is what came from the factory in these 205 units.

richingalveston

I think either fluid works but I believe the quantity is off. I don't think a 205 will hold 5 qts. I have gear oil in mine and can only get 2 qts. in it. It is clocked up as high as it will go, but I don't think there is any way to get 5 qts. in mine.

Skinny

I think the NP205 got filled according to what it is attached to. Auto trans it gets ATF, manual trans it gets gear lube...the NP205 goes both ways ;)
This is not uncommon for gear driven tcases along with some manual transmissions like the T5.

A CUCV can be basic and reliable. If you want power, be prepared to spend some money on a different powerplant. A 6.2 will take a lot of money to be acceptable compared to other diesels IMO. A 6.5 turbo swap may be your cheapest way out. You may want to drive one before you go that route.