• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV extended crew cab 2 ton build?

4x4e350

As requested, I will put a build thread up of my 2 ton build (I think that would be the designation) .
I aquired a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup from GL, it was used as a air force line truck as far as I can tell from the markings. It has 12 volt wiring, J code 6.2 which runs great, SRW. The truck had a lot of hilo damage with bent drive shafts and all.
I also had a old Chevy C60 farm truck, I was trying to find a use for. It had the 350, 4 speed, two speed rear axle. I figured, why not make a 6.2 powered, turbo 400, 2 speed rear axle extended crew cab 2 ton.
So here are the only pics I have on this computer, I will post more when I get home to my other computer.
The first pic is my highly technical concept drawing of what I wanted to do. The second of the GL truck I purchased, the third of my progress this spring. More to follow.

Attachments

4x4e350

I like it. Now make it into a 4x4.
I had considered doing that, but I already did put a M211 front axle under a 64 CO International, with a 2 speed rear. I could only use 4x4 in high, if it was in 2wd I could use low for pulling. Actually it worked very well, but I am always having problems with the brakes in the old front axle.
I figured I would see how this works, and how much power I might have before converting to 4x4. And try to justify if it would be worth the trouble. My main use for this truck, will be recovery vehicle, so 4x4 probably wont be needed.

4x4e350

A pic of the 6.2 installed with the peninsular turbo (I found on craigs list), the fit was so tight, I had to run the exhaust out of the side of the fender, I had to modify the motor mounts a few times just to get the turbo and exhaust manifolds to fit between the frame rails correctly. I had no room for the batteries, so I used the next best thing, the old fuel tank!:shock:

Attachments

4x4e350

A few more pics I found.
My biggest worry with the 6.2, was the lower mains strength, so I made a lower main girdle, I figured the strength was needed in a truck this size.
I hope to get primer sprayed on the truck tomorrow, then color Sunday. I will post a few pics once done.

Attachments

4x4e350

just one more pic I found. The original 350 chevy that was in the truck, used the front mounting points on the engine block, to mount the engine to the frame. I used this same configuration on the 6.2, so I could use a Hummvee oil pan, this gave me a few more quarts oil capacity. Plus I can drop the oil pan completely while the engine is still in the truck, if I have to.

Attachments

4x4e350

e 350, I know where there are some 4x4 versions if your interested pm me.
That's very tempting! But I really want to keep the 2 sp rear, I think that will make my drivability while towing much better. I dought the 4x4 versions came with the 2 sp rear.
These trucks seem to be scarce around here. If anyone knows where I can get a grill, let me know. I am having a hard time finding one, and mine was busted in 3 pieces.

shannondeese

That is one heck of a build. Good job. I can't wait to get back to building my crew cab. It's laying in a bunch of pieces up in the desert where I used to live. Soon though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks