• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV, F150, Suburban for bad weather vehicle? Which and why?

alfred10

I decided that I dont want a Deuce and Half right now. Maybe one day but for now I want something smaller. I want a vehicle that I can drive in the deep snow, heavy rain flooding conditions, off road for fun once and a while, and use if the there ever was a SHTF situation.

I have narrowed it down to the CUCV, 1980-1990 Chevy Suburban, 1994 or 1995 F150 v8 or possibly a super duty.

I drove a 95 F150 and love it. Its fun to drive and maybe I can make it sound cool like a 5.0 mustang I once had. It also gets 16 mpg high way.

Since these are all priced the same what pros would a CUCV have over a suburban or F150?

How many gallons of fuel does a CUCV hold?

Whats the top speed of a CUCV?

Does a CUCV go better off road, in the snow, and heavy rain? Other pros that I missed of getting a CUCV over the other trucks?

Pro F150 is that its fun to drive, gets good gas mileage.

Pro suburban is that its huge and I could camp out in it on a trip. Con is 12 mpg.

maybefixit

I'm not sure how much difference there would be in actual use. The CUCV's all have a locking or limited slip rear end from the factory, while that was not common on the other vehicles you cited. It could be added to the Ford or Suburban for a price, of course.

In the mid-80's onward, most civilian trucks had a form of electronic fuel metering, which would be vulnerable to EMP, for one variant of SHTF.
The CUCV would be more immune to that, but introduces its own gremlins with special needs, like the 24v electric system. Converting to 12v would level the playing field on that score. Top speed is a bit lower with a stock CUCV due to lower gearing and limited redline on the diesel engine (relative to a gas engine). Some parts are starting to go out of production for the CUCV due to overall age.

Diesel will be theoretically more available in a SHTF scenario, but you'll have a wider array of well-maintained specimens of the F-150 and Suburban variety. Diesel engines are not available in the F-150, but are in the F-250/350 due to the heavier suspension.

Personally, I had a Ford Bronco II and a Dakota (both 4wd) and they both were very handy vehicles. I used them mostly on road but also as an emergency services volunteer with the county Amateur Radio group, and they did fine for 85% on road use.

Best recommendation I have is to see if you can get a close look at the CUCV and see if you're happy with the limited noise insulation etc. that were facts of life with them. Any of the three would be closely matched except SHTF in my (non-owner) opinion.

BIG_RED

I love my CUCV but none of my friends would understand. It's loud as h3ll. Smells like diesel (I love the way it smells) and needs a little more maintenance than a newer vehicle. Also, doesn't ride very nice (but I LOVE the way mine rides). If you can handle a Deuce, CUCV's wouldn't be any more difficult. You just gotta love em for what they are. I get 17 mpg minimum with up to 1000 LBs on board. But I've never checked mileage while towing or fully loaded. I'm a Chevy guy, but I agree the fords are nice to drive. In my experience, they ARE NOT FUN TO FIX. To each their own though. I love my M1009. Keep in mine M1009's have high speed gears, which lowers the towing capacity but makes them top out at around 90 MPH instead of 65ish for other CUCVs. Also makes it quieter and engine last longer I imagine (lower revs all the time). Camping in a burban is excellent, but not bad in M1009 if there's only you and your lady and you pull the back seat in favor of a mattress. Good Luck!

rlwm211

I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 1991 Chevy Suburban and it is the old style body. I love the truck and prefer it to my newer suburban. The emission system is simple. If you find one with a diesel engine you would find the extra cost of acquisition worth it for the extra fuel economy. My Suburban is gas and gets 15 mpg but that is not normal for these trucks.

The pickup has more of a general cargo carrying capacity but the cargo area is exposed to the weather. There is no difference in towing capacity between a h-d p/u and a h-d suburban.

The other advantage of that generation suburban is the 40 gallon fuel tank. That will take you a long way and is insurance that you will have the ability to maneuver if you cannot get fuel for a few days.

As to 4x4 capability, my suburban is legendary around here for being able to get through and pull other vehicles out of where they are. Some of that is certainly the ability of the driver, and I am not talking about myself alone, and also the tires. I have very aggressive mud and snow tires on the surburban and it performs nicely.

I could have a pickup, but the additional passenger carrying capacity is nice to have and you do not get that with a pickup unless you have a double cab and those pickups are pretty hard to maneuver with an 8 foot bed as they are VERY LONG..

Enough of my babbling....
RL

Last edited:

91W350

When you say speed in a CUCV, you want a M1009, the Blazer model. The pickups or M1008, M1028, M1010 or other variants are too slow. 55 is about all they should be driven. 48 is probably more realistic.

I think the fuel economy edge goes to the M1009. The M1009 is also much more maneuverable than the other two. The 24 volts system has not caused me any gremlins yet. The lack of A/C here is a major factor for many in my area.

The F150 is a popular truck and there are millions of them on the road. They have good resale value and even though I am not a Ford guy, they seem to be quite durable. I work part time for an auto wholesaler and as a rule, the F-150s come in with few mechanical issues.

The Suburban is Chevrolet's all around sweetheart. It is hard not to like a Suburban if you ever spend some time in one. The old 6.2 powered Suburbans with the over drive transmission were really popular with the crowd that caught onto them. They would get get fuel economy and keep the engines turning slow enough to survive. The transmission/transfer case gave them enough gear to have good pulling power, they were gutless on the highway though. The 2wd 6.2 Suburbans probably had the longest lived 6.2 diesels in them, due to the low rpm and most people did not call upon them to pull extremely heavy loads.

I found this chart, which is not accurate as the M-10?? series trucks, excluding the M1009 were not engine governed at 55, but they should have been. They have an insanely high governed speed for the 6.2.

Fuel Tank 20 Gallons US (75.7 liters)
Maximum Speeds At Governed RPM
High Range 1st 25 mph (40.2 kph)
2nd 35 mph (56.3 kph)
Drv 55 mph (88.5 kph)
Rev 9 mph (24.5 kph)
Maximum Speeds At Governed RPM
Low Range 1st 14 mph (22.5 kph)
2nd 23 mph (37.0 kph)
Drv 35 mph (56.3 kph)
Rev 6 mph ( 9.6 kph)

You will hear guys saying they run their 4.56 geared trucks all day long with no engine troubles at 60-65 mph. I think they are living on luck and/or borrowed time.

Most people do not realize just how spartan a military vehicle is, they are plain, plain as they can be purchased. For a lot of us, that means less to go wrong and easier to fix. I have grown to appreciate the no wax CARC paint. No chamois time either, wash it off and get the show on the road.

You will find that your CUCV will get much more attention than the other two. Glen

Barrman

You wash yours? Hmm, never thought of that.

It really depends on what SHTF scenario you are thinking of. Around here it is all hurricane related. I am 140 miles from the coast, so bugging out isn't really a need. Getting around with downed trees and not having fuel because all of Houston drove through my town for the past week is my concern. That is what happened with Rita and to some extent with Ike. My town had no ice, water, fuel, beer or cigarettes for a week.

If you need to bug out, what are you going to need. Space for people or space for stuff? Stuff means truck, people means Suburban or Blazer.

I think a 3/4 ton diesel Suburban would be your best all around compromise. Lots of people, pull a trailer with lots of stuff, get through the snow/mud/water and still be usable everyday until that need happens with good mileage.

A M1009 fills up pretty fast. I took mine to summer camp with the Boy Scouts a few weeks ago. Once all of my stuff, my sons stuff and a pair of coolers were loaded. We only had room for 2 other boys to ride and no room for more gear.

Add a M101 though and you are golden.

It all comes down to what you want the vehicle to do.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVs and almost all other MVs require a level of intimacy. They have some differences that the general population is not aware of, or understand(or want to understand).

As you mentioned in your other thread(and this one could have simply added to it), you don't have that ability to maintain one your self.

So a link to the other thread, here would help others understand what your contemplating.

And I think a civilian vehicle, that you can have maintained and repaired at any decent shop, would be best for you.

Where you gonna find a 24 volt stater, the day the sun doesn't rise? Not alot of other CUCVs in your neighborhood, to scavenge parts from, to keep you going, when a zombie is about to eat your brain.

91W350

I wash mine only to knock the mud out of the fenders and to rinse the salt brine off of the seams. Sheet metal lasts a lot longer if you keep it free of clinging or packed dirt clods. I agree with Barrman though, a heavy duty Suburban is hard to beat when the manure strikes the rotating blades. They are a very nice vehicle. Take the back seats out and you can haul about as much as a pickup. They drive nice, ride nice, and have a huge tank to move quite some distance. We used them as supervisor vehicles here for years, the guys really loved the truck, just hated all the vibrating noises from the equipment inside. Now we use a F250 with a heavy utility service topper. The ride is not nearly as nice and they bought a gasser with a small V8, it is a turd for performance.

I have two M1009s, one with no back seat. It is great for one person and one dog or two persons to camp out of. Not so good if you add a second dog or person. They go great in snow, they are not quite so good in slick mud. The rear end wants to come around and they are hard to keep on the road. They will generally move, just not where you want them too. I think a tall skinny tire would be a huge improvement over the 10.50 X 15 LTs.

1986Blazerk5

I love my M1009, Amazing Off road, good gas mileage, and it holds 27 Gallons, more than the other vehicles. If you would want to go on highway i would recommend the M1009 since its gear ratio is 3.08, where as the M1008 has a 4.56 gear ratio. Highway these vehicles get 24 highway going 60-65.

mcmullag

suburban

as I posted in some other thread, about 4 years ago I had a 1997 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban
with the 350 gas engine, 4.10 axle ratios. Would cruise at 90 mph
on the interstate, did awesome in deep snow. Bad thing was it only got 11 mpg all the time,
but I loved that truck and want to own another Suburban someday.
Great vehicles. 2cents

OL AG '89

And now my 2cents
Each is a good vehicle as designed.
The F-150, had one didn't like '95 before the "new" modular engine.... never really ran right..
The Suburban, owned Yukon's and LOVED them... wife has an '08...... it's a great vehicle, but not a 4wheel drive....
Each of these are very "comfy" with A/C, stereo, insulation, sound deadening...... and on

The CUCV is all business!!!! it's FUN to drive.... It will handle and conquer ALL situations within reason..... see youtube I'm sure you can find a GOOB trying to push the limits and Losing......
You can make the M1009 into a SWEET comfortable ride add A/C, stereo, heat seats, insulation......
and still have a BAD *SS truck.....
I have several choices for the SHTF scenario..... but if I tell you, well you know........!
If you can't, don't maintain any of the above vehicles then eventually you will own a lawn ornament......
Opinion complete.....
Carry on......

Milkman357

Icy climate?

I would vote for Suburban..

I have a 2003 Suburban.. and My M-1009..

If it's icy ALOT in your area you will want the long wheel base of the Suburban.
I think the Burb rides like a Cadillac.. comfortable.

I dislike the IFS system and push button 4 wheel drive... If I have been thru deep snow and then try to switch to 4 wheel drive... I may or may not get 4 wheel drive.... seem snow or ice might be stopping the 4 wheel drive from switching.

The suburban can burn E-85.. which can be a good deal here in Iowa... other places E-85 isnt practical. E-85 needs to be about 20% cheaper as your fuel mileage will go down about that amount.

I think you should buy have both! I would love to convert my Suburban over to solid front axle...ect. Throw in a diesel..

A Suburban with solid front axles and diesel would be the cats MEOW!

WARWAG

The best vehicle is the one that is running and can get you to where you should have been to begin with before The **** Hit the Fan. Any good well maintained pre 80 4x4 gas or diesel truck, suburban or car will fill the need in a pinch. The key is to have enough supplies to get you where you want to be. If you in a city that means as far away as possible from any metropolitan area. Pre 80 for the EMP or H. E. M. P.. Anyway, if your going to prepare a Bug Out vehicle which is what you are talking about wether you know it or not then you need something that will cover most of the known "What Ifs". Now having said that it will be pretty much impossible to cover everything but if your prepared for Nukes then you have done as much as you can do on a non millionaires budget. Exoctic stuffs like Dueces and such while cool and somewhat practical still need allot of up keep. There not cars. Personally if I was you I would definately get a 1/2 to or 3/4 ton Diesel suburban. It can carry a **** load of gear plus your family and still be some what comfortable to sleep in. Spend some money and get excellent tires and a winch mounted. 2 spare tires and keep the weight of any add ons as low as possible. (Dont through the spare tires and 20 jerry cans on the roof. Have some custom fuel tanks built to give you a cruising range of 1,000 miles and have a plan and route for where you want to go to. I was visiting my brother and got caught in the L.A Riots. Oh boy what fun to see my jeep torched! I have learned allot since then and always carry my personbal bug out bag. Good tires and excellent maintenance will get you where you need to be. Carry a set of hand tools and spare parts in and on your rig. Learn how to work on your own rig. This one tip I am learning since my Mechanic (my brother) just moved away with his new wife and now I need to take care of my own **** as I should have done and learned to begin with. Yah I can change water pumps, oil and a transmission but I dont have alloot of experience doing it. Thats what you need to do. Chevys are great because there are so ****ed many. The Chevy 350 v8 (another good engine if you dont need the MPGs was the most made V8 of all times. You can find parts for it in any auto oparts store / junk yard. Anyway A Suburban sounds like the rig for you. But if push comes to shove take whats running and fueled up.

wikallen

I still miss my 88 suburban. It took a lot to get it stuck, and the wheelbase is shorter then a standard cab truck, so it was actually easy to get around town with it. With the 350 tbi it would get 15mpg on the interstate. I would like to find one that is brand new again.

NCBloodhound

I had a 1998 Diesel Sub with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel. 4x4, leather, clearance lights, heated seats, the works...13mpg when diesel was almost $5 a gallon was killer though. It cost almost $200 to fill the tank and I drove over 50 miles a day. I sold it for a nice profit, but I miss it.

DokWatson

Anything with a live front axle, some form of locking or limited slip differential in one or both axles, and good tires. I would personally stay away from anything with IFS for off-road, if one of those dinky tie rods or half-shafts snap you aren't going anywhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks