• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV front spring pictures need opinions on condition

DSCN4481.jpgDSCN4480.jpgBeen doing lots of fix up work on my M1031 and now considering the front springs. What you think about the sag. Read many of the threads on sagging fronts and how just the age does it but not sure how bad it really is or if it is. Checked the shops in the closest city of Fairbanks up here and all they had was ones that the forums here said were not good and made in China. Maybe should have tried the Chevy dealer ??. Anyway Thanks for any help from you that know. Stan

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The angle of your pictures are not so good.

Try to take pictures that the lens has the same level as the leaf springs.
So as the leaf springs now appear on your pictures I would say they are done.

cucvrus

I replaced the front spring packs on Mr Rusty. Search that out and take a look. It sits nice now and has little if any deflection with the big Fisher snow plow mounted on front. Much firmer ride and no more hitting the bump sops while driving with the plow in the up position. I think It had 4 or 5 ply springs made for it at Stanley springs in Harrisburg PA. They were a bit costly but most good things are. Better deal then the lift kit spring they sell these days. The kits I see guys with nowadays have leaf springs made in China and India. That ain't no way to treat an old iron veteran. Do it right the first time. The huge price is easily forgotten with the permanent fix. Low price springs and half fast repairs are a constant reminder of the low cost and savings. Do it once and be done with it. Good Luck. I hope things work out for you. Ido not think you can buy GM springs. They are long discontinued for CUCV's. Have a great day.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 3.5 inch lift done on mine, they also recruved the front springs and made an additional helper spring to add to the spring pack, been two years and running fine.

Ilikemtb999

You can still buy American made springs. Deaver, tuff country and offroad designs all make springs in the USA. I posted up the rough height dimensions a truck should be with stock suspension. It's in the latest axle swap thread.

cucvrus

I used to make and repair springs from parts trucks and vehicles I had sitting around. That seems to go away as I and the trucks aged. I don't like doing the same job twice and IMHO taking fatigued used spring part/parts and adding a used leaf ply or 2 is an band aid fix at best. The last 3 or 4 lift kits I assisted installation of had all foreign steel springs. I am on the fence if they are not as good as US but I know guys like USA made parts. Not many of them USA made around anymore. Stanley Springs in Harrisburg makes the spring packs to order. I will be getting 2 complete sets for the plow trucks after this rough winter. Both have broken leafs in the rear and I am done piecing them together from used parts. Did it every other year for the past 10 and it is getting old. And I think once fatigued it is just as well recycled then to waste time and energy using them as pieces. I rely on them to much for any cobbling.

CUCVLOVER

From the looks for those springs they seem to be sagging as bad as the ones on my 08. Your bumpstop is hitting the top of the spring plate like mine. One my truck I can go over rail road tracks and hear it hit.
CUCVRUS knows his stuff. I would definitely trust what he says.

ehuppert

At shop (and for myself) I've been using ATS spring company out of PA. Bob is extremely knowledgeable and prices and product quality is good. It's becoming increasingly difficult in the automotive industry to find someone who knows, cares and actually sells a decent product!

Will be re-springing my 1008 after the body is done. Has been used as a work truck for the last ten years (firewood, etc) and I'm getting leery of moving the 2 tons in the back that I've become accustomed too! (Also have overloads, 1028 style)

I totally agree with not piecing junk together! (with age comes wisdom, and sometimes better finances to do things right!)

Do it correctly once and move on... Springs are not overly expensive, loosing a front spring while driving could be catastrophic...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Triangle Spring
USA made
Excellent quality
Triangleusa.com

They are also ISO 9001:2000 certified

DSCN4478.jpgDSCN4477.jpgThanks Everyone - These pictures are at a level angle as German suggested but sounds like they are probably sagging too much from your posts. Thanks for the links to decent springs. I'll definitely be getting new ones just want to get good ones when I do.
Just want to say again that this forum and the knowledge of all you has made owning this truck a pleasure and more. Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Stan, I'm in the same boat you are. A little bit of negative arch is normal, but the ride should determine whether or not you need the springs or not.

In my case, my right front spring is weak, I can feel it when I drive and I can see the abnormal wear on that 1 tire. Good shocks [and tires] will help, but they will only mask the bad spring until they wear out.

If you have any cupping on your tires, then that is the tell-tale sign that your springs are not doing there job.
What happens, a normal working spring will create enough downforce to engage the suspension, kind of like forcing the tire to the ground. Without that force, the tire tends to bounce or "dribble" like a basketball, that creates the cupping wear on the tire.
You can cheat and throw a helper spring on there for the time being, but that is just a band-aid, same as with air-bags.
With that extra weight of your 1031 box, I would definitely invest in good springs. Like the guys mentioned, Off-road Design or BDS seem to make good quality ones.

BTW, you may have already answered this, when is your show going to air?

BTW, you may have already answered this, when is your show going to air?

Novacainefix
Network announced more episodes this spring at close of last season. Not sure when yet but will announce on this forum as my CUCV may be part of the story and people here may get a kick out of seeing a CUCV showcased on nationwide TV (saggy springs and all).
Stan

Skinny

I will tell you that my set of Eaton springs are of great quality, ride great, and fit perfect. You also get what you pay for as they weren't the cheapest option. Your options for rear springs are very limited. The fronts you should have an easier time with an off the shelf spring but probably will have to get a 2" kit as many are not OEM stock replacements.

On the M1031 front, my truck sat over 2" lower on the driver side due to the welder being in that compartment behind the driver's door. Even after doing a rear shackle flip and new front lift springs, she sat considerably lower which led me to replacing the rear pack as well. Certainly went way over budget but she sits where I want it to and rides perfect. I also removed the welder because I didn't need that kind of horsepower and certainly affected the vehicle stance with the old springs.

Jozseph

View attachment 609331View attachment 609332Been doing lots of fix up work on my M1031 and now considering the front springs. What you think about the sag. Read many of the threads on sagging fronts and how just the age does it but not sure how bad it really is or if it is. Checked the shops in the closest city of Fairbanks up here and all they had was ones that the forums here said were not good and made in China. Maybe should have tried the Chevy dealer ??. Anyway Thanks for any help from you that know. Stan
Stan,

Review the springs at Stengel Bros. Inc.

Look at:

Rear Springs - 4,650lb

http://www.stengelbros.net/22-617HD...--91-Leaf-9401-2ND-1770-4650-Lbs-_p_1849.html

Front Springs - 1,900lb

http://www.stengelbros.net/22-402HD...ront--4-Leaf-Full-taper-1900-Lbs-_p_1833.html

Made in the USA and very reasonably priced.

Regards

Joseph

reaper556

Stan,

Review the springs at Stengel Bros. Inc.

Look at:

Rear Springs - 4,650lb

http://www.stengelbros.net/22-617HD...--91-Leaf-9401-2ND-1770-4650-Lbs-_p_1849.html

Front Springs - 1,900lb

http://www.stengelbros.net/22-402HD...ront--4-Leaf-Full-taper-1900-Lbs-_p_1833.html

Made in the USA and very reasonably priced.

Regards

Joseph
Those are nice and look like exact replacements for a 1028/1031 with the 9 plus 1 overload except the fronts not having the reverse arch. They may actually give the truck a better stance anyway