• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV fuel filter replacement

Duke Nukem

My CUCV just recently started noticeably losing power intermittently while driving on the highway. I'm assuming (hoping) the fuel filter is likely to be getting clogged, so I ordered a new fuel and air filter. The fuel filter just arrived, and I'm about to go buy some polyethylene hose so I can change and bleed it, but it didn't include new seals for the vent and drain plugs (part 27820 from figure 18 of the 20P manual). Google isn't much help since it assumes that it's a zip code, and can't find the part online. Are they O-rings? Where would I get more?

cucvrus

Just change the filter. No need to change the O rings and seals. Get the engine warmed up. Shut it off. Pull the red/pink wire from the top of the injection pump. Remove the old filter. Snap the new one in place. Have someone else crank the engine over and bleed the air out the top of the filter housing thru the thumb nut on top and when fuel comes out close the valve and hook the wire back up and start it a you normally would. Keep it above idle a bit for a few seconds and you should be good to go. Do you have leaks that you want to change the petcock O rings? Your truck looked great under the hood when I looked at it last week. I think the filter change will help you out. Good Luck. Report back.

Duke Nukem

No leaks, I was just going by the TM since it says to replace them. I'll do it without replacing them if I have time today.

Duke Nukem

Doesn't look like I'll have time to get an assistant today, but I did put a new K&N air filter in. As I did so, the gasket under the air cleaner assembly crumbled into pieces. I don't think any of it got into the intake but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find a new gasket.

cucvrus

They make new ones. They are Felpro gaskets.About $3. i can get you the number tomorrow. Never hurt anything if a piece of that did fall down inside the intake.

cucvrus

Sounds like you got everything under control. Don't follow the manuals to the letter. Unless you have deep pockets. I see them scrap the engines if the rear main seal leaks. I also seen complete Dana 60 axles in the scrap because the rotors were scored or the tie rod ends had egged the hole out on 1 side. Endless resources.