• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv fuel filter

rue_69

I have been lurking on SS for quite a while now and I thought I would contribute. I bought a M1028 last year with the intentions of driving it and restoring it at the same time. I quickly found out that the truck was a severe pain to start for multiple reasons: 1. glow plug card went bad 2. Air in the fuel lines 3. Bad glow plugs.

The glow plug problems were easily fixed with some new plugs and a push button switch as opposed to that faulty controller. The air in the fuel turned out to be a little more difficult. I read multiple threads on here about the leaking problems that the stock filter has, so I decided to install an aftermarket spin on type filter. The filter housing setup I purchsed is from a company called Racor and the model is a 490R. This setup has 3/8" lines, a primer and an air bleed. Perfect. Whats even better is that it bolts directly in place of the stock filter setup using the OE firewall holes. While I was at it, I ran new lines from the tank forward and then also new line from the filter to the IP. I also decided to install an in line electric fuel pump from a 94 6.5 TD. It works awesome. Starts right up everytime and runs great. :beer: Here is some pics:

stuinnh

Sounds like you had a bad fuel pressure switch located in the filter base. It will seem like air in the fuel lines. I had the same problem. First I replaced the fuel pump. Then I had injector pump rebuilt. Next put in check valve in fuel line, and finally installed electric fuel pump. Oh, also replaced O rings in filter base, and fuel heater in base. In the end, $10 switch. Replaced it and it started like new truck even at 0 degrees.

rue_69

Well, I know I had air in the lines because I had to bleed it off repeatedly. Now, with the electric fuel pump, this is not a problem anymore.

ralbelt - the filter actually wasn't too bad. I picked it up on an auction on EBAY for $54.00. The electric pump and braided line were pretty expensive, but I'm sure somebody could save some $$ by using rubber line.