• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv fueling rate

res0wc18

hello all does anyone know what the gpm requirment for these engines are? Also does anyone know where to get the little curved rubber hose on the fuel pump?

If you are looking for the hose on the diaphram pump on the side of the block it is standard rubber fuel hose (I don't recall the size). I got a length of the stuff from my local NAPA store.

You should get 15 to 20 MPG from the M1009, much less from the pickups due to thier lower gearing. The M1010 ambulance has the worst milage of the series.

acetomatoco

I believe the fueling rate is about 20 galllons a minute and is usually stencilled on the fuel filler area... You can use any vacuum hose for the vacuum pump and any fuel hose on the fuel pump....if you want oem... check with the nice folks at GMC after you look up the part # in your 34P. ACE

Westech

CPL
15 to 20 in a 09? Boy mine got almost 30 mpg. I think a well tuned 6.2 should do atleat 20 anyday of the week. I have a 08 now and even with the injection pump going to heck I was in the 15 mpg mark. With the new pump and injectors I would hope to be in the 20 range again. The fuel line size on the inlet on my injection pump is 1/4 inch if that helps anyone. I have 3/8 to the pick up pump and from there 3/8 to the filter and from the filter to the pump is 1/4 inch.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pssst... He asked for the GPM "requirement for the engine", not the GPM fill rate of the tank... Out of bounds catches don't count... :wink:

The standard mechanical fuel pump probably flows less than 30 GPH, or less than 1/2 GPM. The TM says the pump should flow a minimum of 1 quart per minute of cranking, and since it's not a linear thing, you'd probably be lucky to get 1/2 GPM at speed.

CCATLETT1984

res0wc18 said:
hello all does anyone know what the gpm requirment for these engines are? Also does anyone know where to get the little curved rubber hose on the fuel pump?
just curious what you need the flow information for?

are you swapping to an electric lift pump? If so, then you can use the one that came on the trucks with the 6.5L, you will have to re-arrange the fule lines on the frame to make it work, but it can be done.

are you adding a different filtering setup?

acetomatoco

RE: Re: cucv fueling rate

Boo hoo, I got caught and will be sent to the refueling station with my stencil kit.....A M series diesel heater fuel pump will handle the flow needed to run the nice 6.2 cuz I use em in my deuces and even in my M543.A2....remember to pick up 24 volts on the upwind side of the the resistor pack...in the nice plastic covered giant wire collection on the firewall....ACE

res0wc18

Wow! i need to check in more often. I wanted to know what the required gpm flow to the engine was to keep it happy. Im thinking of putting an electric lift pump of a backhoe because i cant seem to locate the molded fuel feed line, the little rubber line of the fuel pump that takes an s curve and its about a foot long. I even tried fuel injection line and the bends are to great and it kinks. Any ideas? Thanks for the mpg ratings though. I used the blazer this weekend to pull out fallen trees in the forest, it was fun to say the least. Where else is there rubber fuel lines in the system that are before the engine? I am going to change over to a lower micron rating filter setup, and higher flow volumes to keep the injection pump cooler. I took temps of 250 degrees once, that cant be good for it.

Armada

I am going to change over to a lower micron rating filter setup, and higher flow volumes
Good luck with that........
Be sure to let us know how it works out......... or doesn't work out.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Any fuel pump that puts out 30GPH or more at 4-8PSI should be sufficient.

For the original setup, try putting the rubber fuel line in some heavy duty wire loom (corrugated plastic stuff) and zip tie it every few inches if the line won't stay in it or it won't stay together. Or, cut a piece of steel tubing and bend it in a 90 (or whatever) and splice it with 2 hose clamps on each end of the splice. Hokey, but it works.

beetleswamp

Finally getting around to doing the WVO 2 tank conversion now that dino is $4.50 a gallon.

Need two electric fuel pumps for the CUCV. Any recommendations?

trkosaur

electric pump

what does 6-10 psi look like coming out of a pump?...ballpark

I ask because after finally tracking down some fuel related starting issues i can understand why having an electric pump, on a switch, can be a huge help in certain situations.

I was given a pump that my friend used on an old gasser back in the day, gasoline filter and all. To check it out, I hit with the battery and ran some diesel through to get an idea of what psi it put out...doesn't say on the pump and the numbers didn't bring up anything at NAPA. Works like a champ, seemed to put out more than 9 psi to me. Think of peeing after a long night of drinking, if that's your thing, the pump puts out about that much.

I was thinking 9 psi would be more like a mellow, steady trickle.