• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv fusible link question

ohfisherman

first off great site. i just purchased my first cucv (1984 blazer). i have a few quick questions. i drove the truck and it was fine, no problem starting. we went to restart it and just a click, no crank. the person starting it just held the key forward and the wiring by the starter caught fire. i bought another starter and noticed the fusible link on the firewall feels real soft and you can tell it melted. what size wire/fusible link should i replace it with? i am not that familiar with diesels so i am trying to learn all i can. what will cause the link to burn up? bad battery? bad cable? any suggestions would be appreciated. i want to get this thing on the road so bad but i have a few issues with it.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check Appendix E in TM 9-2320-289-34 (find in Resources) for the wiring diagrams. Identify which fusible link went south and it will tell you the wire size.Also, I'd remove the starter and have it checked, it may be bad as well.

jaytee

fusible link should be 2 gauge sizes smaller (4 numerically) than the wire it protects. If it was an 8 gauge wire, then it needs a 12 gauge fusible link. If it is a 10 gauge wire, then it needs 14 gauge fusible link. I had a hard time finding the 12 gauge link at the parts chain stores. They all seemed to stock plenty of pre-cut lengths of 14 and 16 gauge link though.

AJMBLAZER

I bought a fuse holder and put that in. Next time something makes it blow it's just a fuse instead of cutting, splicing, soldering, etc.

ohfisherman

fuse

what size fuse do you use? i put a new starter in it and load tested the batteries. one is dead to the world, showing 11 volts and dead under a load. the other drops to about 450 amps. the link on my truck has a '16' on it. i will probably go with a fuse instead of the link. the starter looked like brand new with the exception that the selenoid pretty much melted down the side of the housing. will post as soon as i get it started. thanks for all of the advice.

AJMBLAZER

RE: fuse

I went with a 50 amp maxifuse. They cost a bit more than regular automotive fuses but it's tractor/implement/big rig approved.

AJMBLAZER

RE: fuse

Eh, mine is some heavy gauge wire. Something like 8 or so. Like I said, it was meant for heavier applications than the main 12v power line on these trucks. The fuse takes the blast at any rate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks