• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Gear Indicator Issue

jplace1011

I recently bought a 1985 CUCV, it’s a really cool vehicle.

The gear indicator doesn’t work, so I bought a new one from Hillbilly Wizard. My mechanic installed the new one, but he said it doesn’t work. I don’t know the details, he was all over the place explaining it to me. I think it has something to do with the cable that attaches to the gear indicator.

Long story short, he ended up putting the original one back in, but it doesn’t work.

I just want to have basic things, like knowing what gear the CUCV is in.

Has anyone had this problem and do you have any ideas on how or if it can be fixed.

I thank you for any input and your time. Bare with me as I’m not a mechanic by any means at all.

Last edited:

dougco1

I recently bought a 1985 CUCV, it’s a really cool vehicle.

The gear indicator doesn’t work, so I bought a new one from Hillbilly Wizard. My mechanic installed the new one, but he said it doesn’t work. I don’t know the details, he was all over the place explaining it to me. I think it has something to do with the cable that attaches to the gear indicator.

Long story short, he ended up putting the original one back in, but it doesn’t work.

I just want to have basic things, like knowing what gear the CUCV is in.

Has anyone had this problem and do you have any ideas on how or if it can be fixed.

I thank you for any input and your time. Bare with me as I’m not a mechanic by any means at all.
I think it's time to find a new mechanic with some patience and common ingenuity. They are not that hard to modify a fix as long as the original string/cable is not broken.

cucvrus

Here check this out. I done this repair many times. Use a dab of grease and it will last forever. And I second the rehiring of a good mechanic.

jplace1011

Ohhh yeah, I’m not going back to that guy. What a waste of time and money. I’m glad the CUCV isn’t my only vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jplace1011

Here check this out. I done this repair many times. Use a dab of grease and it will last forever. And I second the rehiring of a good mechanic.
Thank you for the info, I’m going to check this out now. I was also able to find a few YouTube videos.

Salty dog

I just replaced the one in my M1009, got my replacement from Hillbillywizard. It took maybe five minutes to replace, granted I already had the instrument cluster taken apart as I was replacing the dash lights with leds

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha! Ha! I’m not mechanically inclined, but I’m enjoying learning about the CUCV! It’s been real fun!!
If you own a CUCV, you had better start learning to work on it yourself or have really deep pockets of cash to pay a mechanic.

As already mentioned, learning to work on these is fun and a necessity.
Plenty of guys here that know these CUCVs extremely well and will help you navigate the issues.

You WILL have issues at some point with your CUCV.
Bet on it.

Working on it yourself is not only very gratifying, but it lets you know your truck in detail, inside and out.

jplace1011

If you own a CUCV, you had better start learning to work on it yourself or have really deep pockets of cash to pay a mechanic.

As already mentioned, learning to work on these is fun and a necessity.
Plenty of guys here that know these CUCVs extremely well and will help you navigate the issues.

You WILL have issues at some point with your CUCV.
Bet on it.

Working on it yourself is not only very gratifying, but it lets you know your truck in detail, inside and out.
Yes this is all true! Hmm, I’ll have to see about finding someone who’s good at this to guide me. I like the idea of learning about it, during the process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks