• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Gen 1 light bulb receptacle

a1graymatter

Having issues with front battery not charging. Read some posts talking about a bad bulb for the gen lights causing this problem. Tried to replace the bulb but the receptacle for it is missing. Is this a part I can pick up at autozone etc.? Im pretty sure the right side alt. is the one that jumps up for the 24 volt system, It only reads 11.9 V while at idle. could this be dragging down the left alt and causing this issue?

Problems I have fixed. Replaced 2 fuseable link wires at firewall 1 of which was burned in half. replaced both batteries (big brown military batteries)

I know this is probably a pathetic explanation but I am a body man by trade and not a mechanic. Figured I would post some of what I know as a jumping off point. And yes I searched the threads for many hours before posting this!!

Oops....Also, when I start the truck (Jump start) the gen 2 light comes on for a sec and then goes off runs right at the center on the gen guage then runs the battery down so my headlights get dim real quick.

:confused::confused::confused:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bulb is #194 and Napa has the socket LS6501. It is a standard GM socket. Orielly's and Advanced Auto carry the Dorman 85836 5/8" socket also. They usually on stock one at a time.

Here is a thread about dash lights.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46840-dash-light-bulbs-led-replacement.html

The alternators do require the bulb in order to charge. The drivers side alt charges the front battery that operates all the lights and if it is not charging the headlights will drain the battery.

Here is a post I did last month about the cluster

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46054-cucv-instrument-cluster-decoded.html

Last edited:

a1graymatter

Ok. Had the passenger side alternator checked and it tested good. I had that one checked because the drivers side looks like it is fairly new. Have to go to napa tomorrow to get bulb socket. I hope the missing bulb is the problem.....HOPE!! Thanks for the input, sounds like Im at least on the right track. I found an ex Army Light wheel vehicle mechanic in town and he is going to look at it monday if I don't get it fixed. At least I know I have a mechanic in the future!!

jwaller

from what I have heard, you have to have the bulb to make it charge. no bulb means non charge. so you should be good to go once you have the bulb back in there.

a1graymatter

Another run to Autozone with the drivers side alternator this time and it failed with a bad rectifier. Option A I can order a new rectifier but Im not sure if this is something within my skill set to replace. Option B order a new alternator...problem, They can't find the alternator I took off. No shops around that I know of that rebuilds alternators. Would swapping the left with the right do anything as a short term fix? Will I run the risk of messing something up doing this?

I thought I saw an autozone part number somewhere in a thread for an alternator that will work but I can't find it again.

Found the alternator on the napa site!! WIL90014277
$220 with core exchange.

Last edited: