• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Glow plugs - 12 v or 24v?

lonewolf90

My question is are the glow plugs 24v on 1008 i am buying my dads from him has 30000k runs great just trying to learn as much as i can about it. I been reading but i am confused now so are the plugs 12v. Is it just the starter that is 24v. Were can u get replacement 24v parts. I live in Michigan and the setup on it is greaf starts right up in 15 blow weather. Sorry i am newbie to these

Last edited by a moderator:

epartsman

12V The only things that are 24 are the starter and charging system. The rest of the truck is 12V. Do yourself a favor and eliminate the 24v to 12v resistor as described in the other threads it will save you from going through the cascade failure headache.

jeryshery

I have had my cucv for 8 months. I've gone through two 24v starters and the wiring was a nightmare. On 24v you're much more likely to burn down batteries, go through starters fast, melt down wiring etc. If you go to 12v it gives you the opportunity to visually inspect all your wiring, test your connections, have a spare alternator, jump start your truck from any old car or truck. It kinda follows that old acronym KISS Keep it simple stupid. The 24v/12v system is more complex than just 12 volt the more complex a system is the more likely the system is to fail.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had my cucv for 8 months. I've gone through two 24v starters and the wiring was a nightmare. On 24v you're much more likely to burn down batteries, go through starters fast, melt down wiring etc. If you go to 12v it gives you the opportunity to visually inspect all your wiring, test your connections, have a spare alternator, jump start your truck from any old car or truck. It kinda follows that old acronym KISS Keep it simple stupid. The 24v/12v system is more complex than just 12 volt the more complex a system is the more likely the system is to fail.
I've had CUCVs for years and your observation seems solely based on your truck. In all the years of owning CUCVS I've only bought one starter. Wires only melt when parts fail, do the starter relay mod and forget melted wiring. Deleting the 24V function of the CUCV is not advised. Once familiar they are a super easy system to maintain. I will also throw this out there, you are much likely to get tech help with the 24V delete as most folks here are familiar with the factory system. Jump starting is only marginally more difficult and there is a procedure to jump it with a regular 12V system.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you convert it no one here will be much help to you trouble shooting any problems you might find. The system is fine if in good working order.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the CUCV Wiki and the FAQ and all the stickies. There is alot of info in those threads

If you ar buying it from your dad, wouldn't he know what voltage the GPs are? Just asking.

PS: Don't use the word "HELP" in your title unless you are:
A) brokedown on the side of the road
B) Life is in danger.

HELP is reserved for 911 emergency situations

Last edited:

jeryshery

My observation is not based solely on my cucv. I simply used it as an example. My collective experience of 24v includes multiple dozers, road graders, tractor-trailers, dump trucks etc. The 12/24v system the military used in these trucks is the stupidest 24v system I've ever seen. 24v systems have inherent problems coupled with using 24volt just for the starter and 12 for everything else which was hardly ever used in the civi market for a reason. Of course mileage may vary, some people have great luck and some don't. As a collective though I find more people have bad luck using 24v than 12 which is why new civilian semis and heavy equipment don't use 24.

lonewolf90

I've had CUCVs for years and your observation seems solely based on your truck. In all the years of owning CUCVS I've only bought one starter. Wires only melt when parts fail, do the starter relay mod and forget melted wiring. Deleting the 24V function of the CUCV is not advised. Once familiar they are a super easy system to maintain. I will also throw this out there, you are much likely to get tech help with the 24V delete as most folks here are familiar with the factory system. Jump starting is only marginally more difficult and there is a procedure to jump it with a regular 12V system.
I dont want to change it from 24v i will learn the system for sure. Should i install a block heater???

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My observation is not based solely on my cucv. I simply used it as an example. My collective experience of 24v includes multiple dozers, road graders, tractor-trailers, dump trucks etc. The 12/24v system the military used in these trucks is the stupidest 24v system I've ever seen. 24v systems have inherent problems coupled with using 24volt just for the starter and 12 for everything else which was hardly ever used in the civi market for a reason. Of course mileage may vary, some people have great luck and some don't. As a collective though I find more people have bad luck using 24v than 12 which is why new civilian semis and heavy equipment don't use 24.

Interesting as the automotive industry is moving to 36v and 48v.

Yes the CUCV wiring is a little strange but once you understand it it is very simple. I guess that is my electrical engineering side coming out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think folks would have better luck with the system if they took the time to understand it. I find it quite useful in many ways. I can run most of my cordless tools off the truck in the field if I burn through my batteries prematurely. I have never had any issue that would remotely make me considering eliminating the dual voltage function but I'm relatively familiar with it. 24V starting systems have been starting military vehicles 4 decades, that's a pretty good run.

lonewolf90

Read the CUCV Wiki and the FAQ and all the stickies. There is alot of info in those threads

If you ar buying it from your dad, wouldn't he know what voltage the GPs are? Just asking.

PS: Don't use the word "HELP" in your title unless you are:
A) brokedown on the side of the road
B) Life is in danger.

HELP is reserved for 911 emergency situations
No i dont no anything about these trucks i learned from here that they are 24v. Sorry i sound so dumb. Sorry about using the word help. Just didnt want to burn the truck to the ground. My old plow truck had two alternaters it was a ford 6.9 diesel and it was all 12v just trying to.learn

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have spoken heresy! Prepare to be burned at the stake! ;)

No burning at the stake. But a steak sounds good.

If we want to start the 12v/24v debate, let's start a new thread for that and NOT hijack someone elses thread.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No i dont no anything about these trucks i learned from here that they are 24v. Sorry i sound so dumb. Sorry about using the word help. Just didnt want to burn the truck to the ground. My old plow truck had two alternaters it was a ford 6.9 diesel and it was all 12v just trying to.learn
Hang in there and you will learn alot. Many oldtimers here with alot of experence to help you learn.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only reason for the hijack comment was that we just had this dicussion a couple of weeks ago. A couple of threads got hijacked, feelings got hurt, people got some time off and the thread deleted

jeryshery

Only reason for the hijack comment was that we just had this dicussion a couple of weeks ago. A couple of threads got hijacked, feelings got hurt, people got some time off and the thread deleted
Now that I know that I'll keep my 24vs12 opinions to myself unless asked directly. Don't wanna step on anybody's toes.

MarcusOReallyus

Sorry i sound so dumb.
You don't sound dumb. You sound like someone who wants to learn something new. Last time I checked, that's a good thing. :beer:

Sorry about using the word help.

Sometimes folks break down on the road, and really need help right NOW. So you can see why it's good to avoid that word for routine maintenance or ordinary breakdowns.

Besides, that's the whole point of a forum like this. ANY forum like this. It's to get, and give, help. So why put "help" in the title?

To me, unless it's one of those roadside emergencies, it sounds like begging. It was so bad on one forum I was on I just quit going there. Couldn't stand all the groveling. "Ew! My tire is flat! Please help!" :roll:

So anyway, welcome and have fun with your truck! :beer:

Lot's of good info and good folks here. Read the stickies and download the TMs and get goin'!

camp9

Yep, hang in there, nothing bad was meant by any of this. When your new and looking for advice the wealth of knowledge the folks have on this site overflows and anyone new like yourself can get overwhelmed pretty easy. I was there once too. AS far as your glow plugs there 12v. I just bought another cucv that was switched over to 12v and going to put it back to 24v because it works better for me and what I'm doing. Even the gauges on your dash are 12v except for the voltage gauge. And under the dash same with the fuses, all are 12v except for the one for the voltage gauge. You don't even need a voltage meeter for checking contacts if your not sure. if you have one of those light testers, the 24v contact will be very bright compared to 12v. And if you do break or fry something, no big deal, they are a 30 year old truck and things are gona happen. Keep posting questions and use the search and read, countless hours of reading on here about all these trucks.

dstang97

I would really suggest you convert your glowplug relay to 12v and by passing the resistor. Tons of threads on that and the reason why we do it. I love the 24v system but that mod has very good reasoning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks