• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Glow Plugs

GPW1942

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO of course we are getting hit with the great snow storm and the CUCV with the plow wont start. LOL
Question, I am measuring 24 volts to ground at the orange wires coming off the solenoid. which cycles on and off about every second.
Are the glow plugs 24 volt? If so what is the replacement for them?
Thank you.
Dj

GPW1942

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is. I found some info on line that talked about measuring 24 volts to the glow plugs until a load is put on it.
And that the quick on off was a safety if the glow plugs burned out.
I replaced all 8 glow plugs and connectors with the 60G. She started right up.
Now to troubleshoot the plow. ahh.

sandcobra164

I removed the resistor from the firewall, enlarged the terminal ring from the wire that hooks to the driver's side of the resistor, attached it to the main 12v stud next to the glow plug solenoid and installed a set of AC 60G's about 8 years ago and never had a problem since.

LT67

Yes it is. I found some info on line that talked about measuring 24 volts to the glow plugs until a load is put on it.
And that the quick on off was a safety if the glow plugs burned out.
I replaced all 8 glow plugs and connectors with the 60G. She started right up.
Now to troubleshoot the plow. ahh.
How did you change the connectors?

cucvrus

I have been using the tried and true A C Delco 13G glow plugs since day one. CUCV's that I buy and service when they leave they have the 13G glow plugs and the resistor back in operation. It never failed me and I used them harder then anyone else on this site. This M1009 started when all other vehicles failed to start after being run thru mud and water on a nice summer day. DSCF3383 (1).JPGDSCF3384.JPG The alternators. They failed to charge until I split them and blew out the mud and sand.DSCF3439.JPG DSCF3436.JPG The 13 G require no cutting of the spades and are still available. Happy Holidays

MarcusOReallyus

Those look good! (y)

And BestBoatWire is a good outfit. I didn't know they sell connectors, but I've been having them make cables for me for a few years. Always good service and quality.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those look good! (y)

And BestBoatWire is a good outfit. I didn't know they sell connectors, but I've been having them make cables for me for a few years. Always good service and quality.
BestBoatWire is very good! They sell all kinds of stuff. It is very reassuring to see the seal ooze out of the heat shrink of the connector! Now knowing you have a good mechanical crimp as well as an adhesive bond also that is sealed. (y)

MarcusOReallyus

Yep. When I get a cable made by them I always get the clear heat shrink on the terminals. You can see the sealant oozing out of the ends. I use the clear because that lets me see what's going on in there. Corrosion is bad. Hidden corrosion is much worse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks