• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV...good idea for college student?

4x4Junkie

Well I'm 17 (also joined the forum today) and I'm starting collge in the fall. I drive a Ranger and the reapirs for it are ungodly expensive (i can't work on newer engines). I started looking at diesels from 6.5's to a Cummins to a 7.3 IDI. Those 3 trucks are either too expensive or rusted to **** (I live in the U.P. of michigan). Here's what I want in my new truck: Diesel Engine, needs to be 4x4, gotta be reliable, and it doesn't need to be fancy. So I looked around and started think about an M1008 CUCV.

I like to do a lot of trail riding (I do everything, not just the simple stuff) but also want something that can be used as a DD. I know they have 4.56 gearing (which is good for the mud and trails) but I woudln't be doing free way driving and very little highway driving, so that's not a problem. So here are my questions:

-Is the M1008 a good decision if I want reliability? I do realize they are 20+ years old, so I know it would need some work.
-Are parts cheap?
-Can I easily teach myself to work on these? I assume they should be fairly basic...
-Would regearing to 4.10's be a good idea?
-Can a turbo from a 6.5 be added for a little more power, or would a Banks turbo be better?
-What's the max price one of you would pay for an M1008 in very good condition? I don't wan to spend a penny more than $4500
-Any other info you guys have is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

1008 is a great choice, nothing simpler to work on either. the alts are the expensive part, but not too bad. Parts are plentiful in most junkyards aswell. Before looking at any I would suggest you research this forum using the advanced search option below the "who's chatting" box, and try multiple key words regarding new purchases of trucks. Welcome to the site, if you can turn a wrench someone here can probably tell you what the problem is. You might look into a switch to all 12v too, unless your good with auto electric. good luck:p

91W350

They are reliable, especially in the useage you are talking about. I sure wish I had one when I was your age. It was tired old 40s and 50s Jeeps for me. You will probably want a taller tire for your trail use. I used my old one in the rocks quite a bit. They have a lot going for them in that regard, realatively light weight for having a 4.56 axle and Dana 60 front end. Some of the serious off roaders can tell you more about the transfer case upgrades or you can search them out on this forum. Maybe a member will step up with a good one and make you an offer. They are pretty simple, the toughest thing for me is the fuel system, leaks can be very hard to chase down. The turbo 400 transmission is pretty tough and about any good tranny guy can fix one. The Corporate 14 bolt is big and heavy, but it is also strong and has a Detroit Locker within. If you can snag a M1028, they have limited slip front axles as well. I snagged a really nice M1008 last August from Nebraska last year. It has no rust, a few dents and is really solid. They are still floating around, but good ones are harder to find now. Like any older vehicle you have the leaks and minor stuff, sure beats paying a tech to diagnose it for you. There is a core bunch of guys here that are happy to help you out. You might even snag one locally to help you look at them. Glen

Alredneck

Banned
No A/C but up north yall dont need it:cookoo: The U.P> is pretty sweet wish had more time up there. CUCV trucks wheel pretty good and are a great platform for a cheap build!

4x4Junkie

Alright, I'll start doing some heavy duty research on this forum. As for rust, I actually found a car dealer near chicago who deals M1008's and M1009's as a side hobby. They get 15-20 at a time. They travel through the south and far west to personally pick out 100% rust free tucks and have them shipped to their dealership. I will be buying from them this summer because of their low prices.

WyoDeuce

Go for it. I drove an 82 chevy pickup through college and I did the work on it by myself.

I now have newer cars that drive me nuts. My wifes jeep will die randomly and when I go to tow it home it will start right up. Hard to fix things when you can't determine what is wrong.

My old chevy is in the garage for a new 454 and a rebuild on the rest.. I love the old truck and I know EVERY system on the truck inside and out. Parts are cheap and it is easy to work on. It is a gasser but it will run with 1 wire and the starting/ charging is only a half dozen more. If you don't have a lot of cash simpler is better.

Good luck. You are in the perfect place for info on the m1008. The people on this site are great and will help whenever they can.

1stDeuce

Where are you going to school at? I went to Michigan Tech, and it was 5+ of the best years of my life!! :) I had a '78-82 1/2 ton chevy that I wheeled all over that area bone stock for the most part. I think a M1008 would be an awesome rig for a college kid with a little know how, or the willingness to learn. If you're going to school in the UP, I'd add a block heater though. And forget about the 12v conversion unless stuff goes horribly wrong with the 24v system, no need to replace a perfectly good starter, and rewire a bunch of stuff that works fine for uncle sam. Just keep good batteries in it and you'll be fine. 24V starting systems much nicer than 12V anyway. (Less current draw, and usually a little faster spinning starter!)

Actually, I'm building a M1008 right now with 33's on beadlocks, a 700R4 OD trans, and troopseats and bed cover. Unfortunately for me, as soon as I get it painted it's going up for sale. I need the money for the house. :(

Biggles

Alright, I'll start doing some heavy duty research on this forum. As for rust, I actually found a car dealer near chicago who deals M1008's and M1009's as a side hobby. They get 15-20 at a time. They travel through the south and far west to personally pick out 100% rust free tucks and have them shipped to their dealership. I will be buying from them this summer because of their low prices.

Can you PM me some contact info for this dealer your talking about? I'm in the market for a CUCV to compliment my duece, they might have what I need.

saddamsnightmare

March 19th, 2010.

Welcome 4X4 Junkie!

Might I also suggest that you add the M1009 to your investigation lists, as it is geared a little higher then the M1008, which was set up for 45 MPH convoy speeds, and thus they tend to be slower on road trips and a little heavier user of fuel. The M1009 is more like a 1/2 to 3/4 ton Chevrolet K series, the M1008 is more of a 1 to 1-1/4 ton animal.
If you find a good one, either one should do for what you want to do with it, and I believe they have cab heat, which is a lot better then my old M35A2 annexed...
If you hit the lottery and want a real off road truck, that's fairly easy to care for, but not road trips, the Unimog S404.114 is a real off road animal, and it has cab heat..... (that's if you hit a little lottery, the big lottery should get you a nice Unimog U1300L with high speed axles, they can do 70 MPH all day long versus the S's 40-42 MPH....

Have fun, drive safely, and beware of the OD green chick magnet(s) you are about to be looking at.....:twisted:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A 1008 or 1009 CUCV is a great college truck. Chicks dig 'em.

I got a 1009 when I was a sophomore in 1995 and drove it on a regular basis through 2003. I had a blast 4-wheeling in it with my Jeep buddies. I started with a bone stock truck, added 2" Skyjacker springs, and some 33" swamper radials on the stock steel wheels. After I broke the front end in two, I went junk yard shopping and picked up a 3.73 10-bolt front end and swapped the gears in the rear to match. I blew up the gov-loc and swapped in an Auburn Trutrac. Later, I did some fender trimming and went up to 35"s.

They are rust magnets. I ended up replacing my rockers, floor boards, and tailgate skin before I sold it.

4x4Junkie

Where are you going to school at? I went to Michigan Tech, and it was 5+ of the best years of my life!! :) I had a '78-82 1/2 ton chevy that I wheeled all over that area bone stock for the most part. I think a M1008 would be an awesome rig for a college kid with a little know how, or the willingness to learn. If you're going to school in the UP, I'd add a block heater though. And forget about the 12v conversion unless stuff goes horribly wrong with the 24v system, no need to replace a perfectly good starter, and rewire a bunch of stuff that works fine for uncle sam. Just keep good batteries in it and you'll be fine. 24V starting systems much nicer than 12V anyway. (Less current draw, and usually a little faster spinning starter!)

Actually, I'm building a M1008 right now with 33's on beadlocks, a 700R4 OD trans, and troopseats and bed cover. Unfortunately for me, as soon as I get it painted it's going up for sale. I need the money for the house. :(

I'm gonna be going to NMU for a wedling certification program they just started. I mainly do my wheeling in the forestville area in marquette township and along Big Bay Road (Co. Road 553).

As for the truck, I actually want to do a full restore, eventually getting down to the frame (I love the these things and I don't even own one yet). Only change I will make are maybe some wheels and the paint. I want it to be flat black but I'm gonna have a somewhat nice paint job done by a body shop because I want it to last. As for tires, what's the biggest I can fit on a stock truck, around a 33"? And is it possible to get military tires for these things?

Last edited:

Jblankster

Can you PM me some contact info for this dealer your talking about? I'm in the market for a CUCV to compliment my duece, they might have what I need.
see my thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/49370-daily-drive-cucv.html

A 1008 or 1009 CUCV is a great college truck. Chicks dig 'em.
Have fun, drive safely, and beware of the OD green chick magnet(s) you are about to be looking at.....:twisted:

yall are lucky lol. out here anyone with a truck or badass suv is a "hillbilly". me and like 6 other people maybe listen to country, like trucks etc. its lame. i feel like i shouldnt live here lol

Last edited:

cleb

I drove a M1009 to college for a couple years. Before I went to college I had put a new starter, flywheel, injector pump, injectors, replaced all soft fuel lines, glow plugs, and some other work. It was reliable, I had a couple lift pumps go, as well as one of the rocker support rods come unbolted at one end. Lost compression in one cylinder. I took the valve cover off, bolted it back down, and it ran fine. When properly used and maintained the 6.2 is an OK motor. Not great, but it gets the job done. Be careful when adding a turbo. You see a fair amount of the kits around for sale, as the owner put the kit on, and x miles later it went boom.

aebiv

I drove a M1009 to college for a couple years. Before I went to college I had put a new starter, flywheel, injector pump, injectors, replaced all soft fuel lines, glow plugs, and some other work. It was reliable, I had a couple lift pumps go, as well as one of the rocker support rods come unbolted at one end. Lost compression in one cylinder. I took the valve cover off, bolted it back down, and it ran fine. When properly used and maintained the 6.2 is an OK motor. Not great, but it gets the job done. Be careful when adding a turbo. You see a fair amount of the kits around for sale, as the owner put the kit on, and x miles later it went boom.
Holy bad luck truck! :!:

aebiv

yall are lucky lol. out here anyone with a truck or badass suv is a "hillbilly". me and like 6 other people maybe listen to country, like trucks etc. its lame. i feel like i shouldnt live here lol
Try driving a M1009 around on the twisty, prius and pedestrian filled streets of San Francisco :driver:

Get all sorts of funny looks :D

aebiv

Now that I've owned a 6.2, the only other motor I'd throw in any of my trucks/blazers is the 6.5 Turbo Diesel.

Do I miss my 383's spunk and get'up'ngo? Yes.

Enough to go back to 11mpg, more complicated engine and wiring, less bottom end power, and less flexibility in fuel? Not a chance in ****.

Give the ol diesel some time, she'll grow on you :)

4x4Junkie

Now that I've owned a 6.2, the only other motor I'd throw in any of my trucks/blazers is the 6.5 Turbo Diesel.

Do I miss my 383's spunk and get'up'ngo? Yes.

Enough to go back to 11mpg, more complicated engine and wiring, less bottom end power, and less flexibility in fuel? Not a chance in ****.

Give the ol diesel some time, she'll grow on you :)
I just thought of a few other things.

-Do all these trucks have hard miles on them, or not necissarily?
-Are these trucks something you can truely trust as a reliable daily driver? I mean I will be getting rid of my '98 ranger for something 12 years older...I need to know I can trust it.
-Can a heater be added from the same era suburban or something?
-Would I be able to put a CD player (under the dash) and speakers in? OR will the electrical system desigm not allow it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks