• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Hand Throttle

Barrman

All of my other MV's have hand throttles and I miss it on the M1009. I know it has the fast idle, but as hot as it is here, it never kicks in. The M715 has a very short cable under the dash that goes to where the throttle cable and the pedal connect. Has anybody tried this on the Chevy CUCV?

The biggest trouble I can see is mounting the handle on the angled dash bottom. However, I know I have seen a mount for something that would be just about the correct angle. Does anybody else have an angled throttle cable spacer that might work or know of one on a different vehicle?

Thanks.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I had one on the M1008 i had. I used a getset throttle cable. I drilled a hole in the metal part of the dash under the blackout light switches. The turnable knob worked well for adjusting RPM's. And the red button in the middle made a quick return to idle a snap. I ran the cable through the same hole as the speedo cable. And using a small piece of angle iron to attach it to the injection pump. I really makes slaving other trucks by yourself much eaiser. You can rev the engine where you need it to make more amps.

Barrman

I have always thought aircraft throttle cables would be great for a truck since you can spin them to get exactly what you want or push the button to make large adjustments. Trying to stay military on this though. I have a spare M35 hand throttle somewhere at the house.

How did the factory 6.2 cruise control actuate the throttle? Maybe there is a pre made bracket out there for the IP end. Not that I have a problem using angle iron Ken. I like angle iron.

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you wanting to use it for? Cruise control or just increase the idle?

If just the idle, how about an additional switch for the fast idle soleniod?

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cable i used was off of a MEP. As far as the cruse goes. It has a seperate throttle cable mounted next to the throttle cable. That comes from a funny looking diafram canaster.My 82, 6.2 civi truck has one of these. Also you could find a dentent cable bracket for a 700R4. Then you could mount your cable under the intake manafold. To help keep your engine looking stock.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would a switch for the fast idle solenoid work for the task
of slave starting another MV?
Bruce

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think so. The High Idle switch on the passeger side manifold is normally closed when cold and open when hot.

You could put a jumper on there with a switch and close the circuit.

Attachments

Last edited:

niferous

We had a guy in the Army use a M998's hand throttle for a cruise control one time driving down the highway. He had to stop fast and couldn't do so in a short enough space since he couldn't deactivate the hand throttle while hitting the brakes fast enough. The accident he had wasn't his fault and he just told us on the side later on what he had done. I'm not even sure it would have prevented the accident but it did make it a little bit worse at least.

Something many may already know but just an FYI to those out there who may not.

Barrman

I have the throttle cables. Or at least I think I do. I haven't gone looking yet. I was thinking to mount it in line with the throttle pedal the same way the M715 has its. Doing that, my biggest problem was making a spacer with a 45 degree angle on it. However, Ken suggested the left side of the steering wheel like on the M35. That is more natural to me because I drive the Dueces so much and it is a flat part of the metal work on the CUCV. Problem solved and my thinking has been expanded beyond what I orginally thought would work. Thanks everybody.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm waiting for Buckmaw to jump in and show his "hand throttle". :p

On the way home from Temple air show this year his accelerator cable broke, he finished the drive home using 550 chord tied to a Leatherman he held out the driver's window! [thumbzup]
I think Pawnshop has a picture.

Cheers

Barrman

That would have been funny to see. Another valid reason to run the hand throttle all the way to the pump as well. Thanks Rory.

Barrman

I got it all installed today. M35 hand throttle mounted just to the right of the black plastic guage housing about where a radio would go on a civi truck. Went all the way to the IP with it for several reasons. I could work on hooking it up while standing instead of laying down on the floor and in case something did break with the stock throttle system, this one is there to take over.

I didn't get any pictures and won't be able to until next weekend unless I can figure out how to post from them from my iphone since I will be using it alone and no other computer access until Friday.

Barrman

I actually had to buy that one since my spares were messed up in some way or another. Saturn Surplus is where that one came from.

I would make a suggestion however. Get a vernier type (Like in an airplane) throttle from a generator. The movement of the 6.2 throttle shaft is way more sensitive to position than the M35. 1 click makes a huge rpm difference. I played with it some as a cruise control on the open interstate. 48-53 mph on a click and the next click up was 63-72 mph depending on the terrain. It works great though on 200-300 mile runs when you just want to move your right leg a little. Set it going up or down a hill and move around to get comfy again. Holds speed great.

kassim503

I jumped my hi idle solenoid to give me a little bit of a high idle to keep the batteries topped off and to warm it up in the winter quicker.

But once I figured out it was adjustable it got immediately bumped up a turn to give me a 32 mph cruise control though city trafficrofl