• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV hard starting, surge at idle . . . have tried several things

tvguy

First I’ll say I’m no diesel mechanic but I’ve done a LOT of searching both in the forum and the TM’s. After many months of trying I need a little help . . .

SYMPTOMS
About 7 or 8 months ago my truck (an ’86 M1031) became hard to start. I’d have to crank it for 30 – 45 seconds before it would finally “hit”. It would idle up really high then die and plume white smoke. After two or three of these cycles it would finally start, but only if I held the accelerator pedal to keep the idle up. When driving if I suddenly let off of the pedal it would die. Once heated up though it would easily restart. I verified that my glow plugs were working by checking voltage at the plug and I can hear the relay clicking on and off.

Attempt #1, fuel filter
So after a great deal of searching it seemed the fuel filter base was the most likely culprit. I switched to a Racor spin-on filter and bled the system using the pump on the filter and by removing the pink wire on the injection pump and cracking.

RESULT = no change

Attempt #2, fuel / lift pump and rubber lines
At idle, the truck surges. I read that this was indicative of air being sucked into the fuel lines so I changed all the rubber lines in the engine compartment along with the fuel pump. I finished this yesterday (4/27/15) and decided to re-bleed the system to see if this had fixed it before doing the rear lines as the bed will have to be lifted or removed.

Result = no change, although now I notice a hesitation in the throttle sometimes.

I sprayed starting fluid around the rear, rubber lines while it was running to see if any fluid would get sucked in and raise the idle. It did not but I still plan to replace all the rubber lines from the tank. In the meantime I noticed the fast idle solenoid wasn’t working which, in my mind at least, accounted for me having to stay on the accelerator pedal.

Attempt #3, coolant sensors

Since I knew the fast idle solenoid wasn’t working I decided to try and get it operational before moving on to the more difficult job of replacing the fuel tank rubber lines. With a multimeter I checked and had no voltage at the solenoid, nor did I have voltage, even when cranking, at the temperature sensor on the passenger side front head. Just for kicks and went ahead and replaced both of the temp sensors.

Result = no change

QUESTIONS?

Does anyone know what feeds the temp sensor / fast idle circuit? In other words, if I’m not getting voltage at the temp sensor where would be the next point in the chain to check for voltage.

So, it seems I have a couple of issues going on simultaneously. I know the fast idle solenoid isn’t necessary for the engine to run but I want to get it fixed regardless. Meanwhile it’s still hard to start and the idle is rough (surging). Any suggestions on a next step would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking the next step might be to replace the injection pump but wanted to exhaust any other options before trying that.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get one of those clear plastic fuel filters from the parts house and plumb it in between the filter and injection pump. Get it running and see if air is getting in there. Betting it's drawing air near the tank.

tvguy

Get one of those clear plastic fuel filters from the parts house and plumb it in between the filter and injection pump. Get it running and see if air is getting in there. Betting it's drawing air near the tank.
I'll definitely try that . . . thanks!

cucvrus

I always go for the injection pump if you are not getting air out each time you bleed the filter. I have been wrong in the past so I will say check everywhere for fuel leaking. Check all your small return lines on the fuel nozzles. And then check the injection pump. I just replaced one for a worn fuel feed line at the fuel pump and I snapped a screw off the top of the pump. This M1009 that I have runs as new now. So everything worked out in the end. I spent more then I liked, but that is life. Long distance diagnosis is hard to say the least. But I vote injection pump. If you never changed it I would stert there and put a new lift pump on while you are at it.

tvguy

OK, thanks. I did already change the lift pump and that didn't help. I feel like it's going to be something really simple but for now I'm stumped.

salt6

I had something similar, after you run it open the fuel cap. I went to put fuel in it after running it one day and got that sucking sound while removing the cap. Try starting it with the fuel cap lose. I think I have a clogged vent hose.

tvguy

Pull the bed and replace the 30 year old hoses?
That's definitely part of the plan, but first I want to figure out why i don't have power to the temp sensor and fast idle solenoid. When I install the clear fuel lines suggested above I'll go ahead and do the bed and only have to re-prime the system once.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The point of the clear filter was to confirm air in the system. Also, pay close attention to steel lines as they can chafe and get a hole worn into them and it's not easily noticed.

Last edited:

tvguy

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions on why I'm not getting power to the temp sensor (for the idiot light) and the fast idle solenoid?

glaser06

I know this doesn't really help but probably a loose connection. Best bet is to trace back the wire with a multimeter and check each connection point and wire individually for continuity. My 1028 has taught me always to check the connectors you think are good twice...

evldoer

I had a problem with hard starts and surging on my '08. After fuel pump/filter stil no change. Turned out to be a small pinhole in the fuel line under the rear of the cab. If I remember correctly it was under a small metal cover or guard. The steel fuel line was rubbing on the bottom of the cab, enough to make a small enough pinhole for the lift pump to suck air. Might be worth a look. Good luck!

tvguy

So I began the process of replacing the remaining rubber lines today. Step 1 was to replace the line between the filter and pump and the return line from the injection pump with clear lines so I can see what's going on. Step 2 was to pull the bed and replace the rubber lines at the tank and the ones "around the corner" underneath the cab. At this point ALL the rubber lines are new. When I went to put the air filter back on I noticed that fuel had filled the line between the filter and the IP, meaning that fuel was "back flowing" out of the IP. I assume this isn't normal? Is there some sort of check valve that should prevent this? I've searched several threads but none seem very clear on this.

Chaski

No check valves exist in stock form. Give it a day to make sure you have worked all the air out of the system. If you still have air it may be your pump leaking.

tvguy

So I did some more research and came across a video on Youtube about the IP timing. I checked mine and it was about 1/8" off the mark. I advanced it and it seems to be running much better . . . no more surging.

Won't know if I've cured the hard start issue till tomorrow.

tvguy

Well adjusting the injector pump seems to have solved my problems. She cranked MUCH better today and the surging at idle is gone! I need to lower the idle now but that's easy enough. I took some pictures today and she'll be for sale in the next day or so! :(

bimota

I had some of these symptoms and it turned to be old fuel. All issues but long crank to start disappeared after draining tank and replacing with fresh fuel. Only issue I'm struggling with now is I have to crank it 15 plus seconds with my foot in the pedal before it starts after sitting. In the photo above it looks like a spin on filter - I also replaced with a spin on from Cummins it looks nice but I'm concerned that my long crank is due to a missing check valve from the original filter housing. Anyone know if there is a check valve in the filter housing or lift pump that can leak so prime is lost when sitting?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks