• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey

cucvrus

Good news. I have a guy wanting me to do a conversion. he wants the M1009 Mule conversion. I don't have the heart to tell him the price, parts and labor involved. I done it on my own time like cutting wood or mowing grass. I never gave it any thought as to the time and material needed. Glad to hear the M1009 is still running strong. Tough little vehicle. Take care of it and it will be here many years to come.

cucvrus

After a long time in storage the parts to convert an M1009 into a pickup truck and look stock have been sold. I posted a few of my M1009 parts on Facebook market and received a lot of attention and have sold the softback hard top conversion. I don't see me going that route again. and I also have a man in route from Nashville TN to pick up my full convertible parts conversion. If I keep cleaning up the assorted CUCV / Chevy truck parts I have I may get completed in a few more years. Each piece leaves with mixed emotions. But better being put to use than sitting collecting dust and doom. If I'm not here the parts will be meaningless to my Wife. Take Care and Be Safe.

Another Ahab

But better being put to use than sitting collecting dust and doom. If I'm not here the parts will be meaningless to my Wife. Take Care and Be Safe.
It was taught to all of us in Kindergarten:

- Clean up after yourself

I'm working the same task, cucvrus, so that nobody will have to stop what they're doing (when I "step off") and clean up my mess.

The emotions ARE mixed, but it feels good to be tidy (must be the Boot Camp they hammered into us).

ehuppert

I'm doing the same here...sell it all so it gets used and not thrown away. When my dad passed (great depression survivor and hoarder) we sold tons of stuff. Pennies on the dollar, but I felt better that stuff was going to a new home. In some cases of tools and woodworking equipment, brand new. Some of my siblings just threw stuff away, no sentimental value or appreciation! That really bothered me as some of the older stuff was collectible!

Sell it all to someone who will appreciate!

Oh, what was this post about?

cucvrus

I brought this thread back up because i received an Email about the M1009 to mini pick-up conversion. This was my Mule and I used it many years. I hope it is still on the road and making someone happy. I hope you find the idea of the rear cargo area interesting, and it helps you achieve similar results. Good Luck. Measure twice and cut once.

tacotruck

I brought this thread back up because i received an Email about the M1009 to mini pick-up conversion. This was my Mule and I used it many years. I hope it is still on the road and making someone happy. I hope you find the idea of the rear cargo area interesting, and it helps you achieve similar results. Good Luck. Measure twice and cut once.
Very much so...

I acquired the truck from the gentleman you sold it to and have been lurking. I plan to give it a freshening up this spring.

This picture is from about 2 years ago. I worked into the night rebuilding an alternator as my daily at the time was not well suited for snow, my dad helped me get it finished... it ended up being one the last things we ever worked on together.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very much so...

I acquired the truck from the gentleman you sold it to and have been lurking. I plan to give it a freshening up this spring.

This picture is from about 2 years ago. I worked into the night rebuilding an alternator as my daily at the time was not well suited for snow, my dad helped me get it finished... it ended up being one the last things we ever worked on together.
Hate to hear about your dad...
Thing is, you will always carry that memory with you.

cucvrus

Very much so...

Very nice. I see that it has a hole in the hood where the Chevrolet hood emblem was. That hood was off of a 1986 Chevrolet Suburban that was fully equipped, and it was the only highly optioned Suburban I ever seen that had a factory 4 speed granny low 4 Speed in it. It had every option available and was sold at the Cheverolet dealership a half mile from my home. It was brought to me with a bad engine and severe rust on the rear frame. I ended up buying it for parts. Amazing as it was so rusty the front doors, hood and fenders were like new. I still have the driver's door shell in my barn. Very nice that you have the Mule M1009301winter cover.jpg91109025_2637926873000347_9160172310353674240_nNice M1009.jpgback up lamps.jpgWhat-has-been-sqwdbrseen.jpg

tacotruck

Hate to hear about your dad...
Thing is, you will always carry that memory with you.
Amusingly... he was very against it at first as I had another project in the driveway, and when I suddenly decided to sell that he became suspicious I was up to something else.

I tried to sneak the Mule home one day after saying a buddy needed some help "moving something", only to pull up in it and find him standing in the drive way talking to a kid who had stopped to look at the other truck (a 97 Chevy) I had for sale.

Oops. Quickly became one of his favorite cars I'd own, it was a throw back to the cars he had back in the day. The tables were turned and I was coming to him asking how to do things on it, not the other way around with the newer stuff in the drive way. Tension a v-belt, grease the joints/wheel bearings, etc.

Very nice. I see that it has a hole in the hood where the Chevrolet hood emblem was. That hood was off of a 1986 Chevrolet Suburban that was fully equipped, and it was the only highly optioned Suburban I ever seen that had a factory 4 speed granny low 4 Speed in it. It had every option available and was sold at the Cheverolet dealership a half mile from my home. It was brought to me with a bad engine and severe rust on the rear frame. I ended up buying it for parts. Amazing as it was so rusty the front doors, hood and fenders were like new. I still have the driver's door shell in my barn. Very nice that you have the Mule M1009View attachment 915855View attachment 915856View attachment 915857View attachment 915858
I was wondering about the source of the hood. It was, and still is, an attention grabbing ride. One of my coworkers who is a Desert Storm vet has very fond memories of similar trucks. Odometer is sitting just north of 7000 right now (107 I assume?), it ended up mostly being used in local parades before it was passed along to me as I had more time for it.

Mechanically doing well. Doesn't use oil or coolant, drives pretty good, really loyal and starts easy. Any work it does need is generally pretty painless, not much to it. Not at all bad to drive around town, and has done some good long trips as well (300+ miles in a day).

Due to some career changes it didn't see a ton of miles on it in the last 12 months and I actually thought about selling it but stuck with it, and I will start a thread once I'm ready to get really working on it. Cargo area sheet metal needs some TLC and my next door neighbor who ran a little restoration/body shop back in the day is going to show me how to do it, once it warms up a bit.

tacotruck

Did he give you the hood ornament? I sanded and painted that carefully
I have to admit I cannot remember, it came with a box of misc trim parts and spares I have stored away and can't recall what is in it. I should probably do that at some point. What I have on hand for all my Chevy trucks have kind of blended together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks