• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv headlight recomendations

jimmy-90

Im getting ready to upgrade the headlights on my cucv and need advice. Im considering getting the LMC Truck 36-0282 lights with 60/55W H4 bulbs and the relay kit. What I would like to know is if the Hella E code rectangular lights with 60/55W H4 bulbs and Hellas wireing kit are any better and also are the Hella lights street legal? From what I gather from my searches on here the Hella E codes don't seem to be DOT and SAE approved regardless of what bulbs are in them. If you guys know of another really bright headlight kit that is street legal I would appreciate the input. Thanks

xenocath

searching.............
i used the kit from lmc on my last four trucks its currently on my m1008 and i have never had to use the high beams for anything other than to blind idiots who think i have high beams on.

Reverend Evil

Thosee are what i have in my truck. I was on a budget when i first started driving my cucv and needed a headlight . I bought 1 of those sylvania silverstar bulbs and noticed a huge difference had to go get 1 for the other side and ended up not wanting the hid conversion it is way cheaper in the end imho.

camogriz

Ditto on the Sylvania Silverstars. I bought them recently and do not regret it. I recall an earlier post by someone who tested the lighting output of the Sylvania's versus the stockers using some photography light meters and found that the 35% increase in output as claimed by Sylvania was accurate. Just saying... $19 each at Advance Auto Parts.

jimmy-90

I've read about the silvania silverstars on here before and they seem to be the best bang for the buck but I'm willing to kinda splurge on this one a little bit. Im looking for the absolute brightest kit on the market that is street legal even if it is a little pricie.

jimmy-90

I have thought about contacting Susquehanna Motor Sports: Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

The kit is a direct replacement for the 6054 headlights. I think you would be ok with that. Then if you wanted some real bright lights you could get the 85w/110w bulbs.
Also the susquehanna Motorsports lights are the E-code Hellas I was wondering about being street legal no matter what bulbs were in them in the first post up there.

firefirefire90

only thing that is really "wrong" with the superstars are their life expectancy. I used to run a few in some of my BMW's and they just did not last as long as my OE ones did, but they definitely were brighter.

tourus

well I Dont know what you payied for your lights from LMC but trucklite brand sell the h-4 convertion for 50.00 each great lights have 8 tolal in 3 different trcks and jeep. I got mine through NAPA then I put the 100 watt low and 130 high bulb in great all around light. and have never had any body flick highs at me like they are blinded by the light. but just 2 months ago put HIDS in the 6000 WOW WOW what diff. going to put in the rest of truck and wifes jeep. still nobody flashes me and can not see into the on comeing cars and truck. well maybe some really small low riding cars but any head light will. and they shouldn't be allowed on the road anyway.LOL LOL

Ken_86gt

well I Dont know what you payied for your lights from LMC but trucklite brand sell the h-4 convertion for 50.00 each great lights have 8 tolal in 3 different trcks and jeep. I got mine through NAPA then I put the 100 watt low and 130 high bulb in great all around light. and have never had any body flick highs at me like they are blinded by the light. but just 2 months ago put HIDS in the 6000 WOW WOW what diff. going to put in the rest of truck and wifes jeep. still nobody flashes me and can not see into the on comeing cars and truck. well maybe some really small low riding cars but any head light will. and they shouldn't be allowed on the road anyway.LOL LOL
Are you advocating to break the law and then just say too bad if your car is low to the ground and the light bothers you? It does not sound funny to me. FYI- 100 watt low beams are in violation of the DOT motor vehicle laws.

Skinny

Agreed, not cool with running illegal wattage. I am not Corey Hart and I do not wear my sunglasses at night...

Stick with regular wattage (keeps wiring cool too) and use your high beam circuit to trigger a relay for bright auxiliary driving lights if you need some super candlepower.