• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv help starter broke engine block mounting hole.

Paul Boudreau

Hi newbie here I want to pull the trigger on buying a cucv truck with 63k miles. really rust free runs well,the problem being the starter broke the mounting hole on the engine block the person selling it said he would just replace the motor.Can this be fixed?? it seems crazy to have to scrap the engine because of this.If it cannot be fixed it may end up costing too much.Any info would be greatly appreciated... thanks ....Paul

nyoffroad

It can be welded (usually) if you do, chances are you won't get it lined up perfectly for the starter to mount up. The 2 starter bolts might go in ok but the mount on the end of the starter won't fit properly. (That end bracket is probably missing and why the block broke, don't ask how I know) Once the piece is welded back on try and see if everything lines up and the starter engages smoothly and doesn't hang up. If there's still a problem all's not lost because there's a fix for that too. It's a bit more work, drill the outer hole oversize and then use thread insert ( I forget what size) then cut the head off the appropriate bolt to form a stud and insert that using Loctite. Grind or file the stud flat with the surface and then using the starter as a templet and a punch that fits snug in the starter mounting hole CAREFULLY center punch the block and filed down stud. Then you just have to drill and thread the hole. MAKE SURE YOU USE NEW STARTER BOLTS AND THE CORRECT ONES, part numbers are around this site elsewhere and a search will turn them up. Good luck.

Paul Boudreau

It can be welded (usually) if you do, chances are you won't get it lined up perfectly for the starter to mount up. The 2 starter bolts might go in ok but the mount on the end of the starter won't fit properly. (That end bracket is probably missing and why the block broke, don't ask how I know) Once the piece is welded back on try and see if everything lines up and the starter engages smoothly and doesn't hang up. If there's still a problem all's not lost because there's a fix for that too. It's a bit more work, drill the outer hole oversize and then use thread insert ( I forget what size) then cut the head off the appropriate bolt to form a stud and insert that using Loctite. Grind or file the stud flat with the surface and then using the starter as a templet and a punch that fits snug in the starter mounting hole CAREFULLY center punch the block and filed down stud. Then you just have to drill and thread the hole. MAKE SURE YOU USE NEW STARTER BOLTS AND THE CORRECT ONES, part numbers are around this site elsewhere and a search will turn them up. Good luck.
thanks excellent info .greatly appreciated.......paul

cucvrus

OK. I have fixed several of these in the past. Best way and may seem difficult but it is an opportunity to do many easy repairs and gasket replacement. Pull the engine. Put it on a stand and pay a good welder man to fix it properly. I paid about $200. the last time I had one fixed. I bought the truck at DRMO with the bolts broken off and several easy outs were jammed and broken in the holes. The genius welded and broke the side of the block. I had it fixed. Mainly getting the holes solid enough to mount a starter firmly is all you need. It is an easy job with the engine out. Don't get me wrong. It can be done with the engine in place. IMHO not as well. Do it right the first time and drive on. Half fast it and always wonder will this be that day? Take Care and Good Luck. I would do it if you were closer but I currently am at eyeball level with my Full Time, house work and my hobbies. Be Safe.

nyoffroad

OK. I have fixed several of these in the past. Best way and may seem difficult but it is an opportunity to do many easy repairs and gasket replacement. Pull the engine. Put it on a stand and pay a good welder man to fix it properly. I paid about $200. the last time I had one fixed. I bought the truck at DRMO with the bolts broken off and several easy outs were jammed and broken in the holes. The genius welded and broke the side of the block. I had it fixed. Mainly getting the holes solid enough to mount a starter firmly is all you need. It is an easy job with the engine out. Don't get me wrong. It can be done with the engine in place. IMHO not as well. Do it right the first time and drive on. Half fast it and always wonder will this be that day? Take Care and Good Luck. I would do it if you were closer but I currently am at eyeball level with my Full Time, house work and my hobbies. Be Safe.
I too would pull the engine, if for no other reason then I HATE laying on my back drilling and grinding. But some folks don't mind. It would also be easier to find a welder to do the job if you can't weld cast.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not trying to Hijack the topic but does anyone know the correct part numbers and where to purchase the starter bolts? Id like to keep extras on hand. I'm like some others - I hate laying on my back grinding etc - Id pull the enngine.

cucvrus

Im not trying to Hijack the topic but does anyone know the correct part numbers and where to purchase the starter bolts? Id like to keep extras on hand. I'm like some others - I hate laying on my back grinding etc - Id pull the enngine.
Any M10 X 1.50 proper length METRIC, shank knurled starter bolts will work. I buy them at auto parts stores and starter rebuilding shops. As long as they are the metric one. the 3/8" will fit and semi get tight but are NOT the correct ones. I have bought several from the military that had the 3/8" bolts in place of the metric and most where code H for starter issues. Be Safe and do it right the first time.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM 15544950. I ordered them from Rock Auto. Always use new bolts when (re-) installing the starter. Make sure the bracket, GM 14028931 for direct drive or GM 23502557 for gear reduction, is installed. I can tell you that broken starter bolts are no fun. Worst case, you get a broken mounting point on the engine block like the OP.

cucvrus

Honestly I reuse starter bolts all the time. I replace them when I see any defect but I never had any issues with used starter bolts. I have about a dozen brand new HMMWV starter bolts but they are longer. Same thread and all. A friend gave them to me as a gift. Take Care. I do not consider starter bolts a torque to yield bolt. They are tight as I can get them with a standard 3/8" hand ratchet. Take Care.

nyoffroad

Any M10 X 1.50 proper length METRIC, shank knurled starter bolts will work. I buy them at auto parts stores and starter rebuilding shops. As long as they are the metric one. the 3/8" will fit and semi get tight but are NOT the correct ones. I have bought several from the military that had the 3/8" bolts in place of the metric and most where code H for starter issues. Be Safe and do it right the first time.
Yeah, 3/8 bolts work just fine until they don't! I made that mistake many years ago, the 3/8 seemed to go in almost perfectly but not quite they had just a bit of drag right up to the moment they were almost tight and poof STRIPPED!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
M10x1.5 it has to be. An M10x1.5 would be slightly larger than a SAE 3/8" so would explain why a 3/8" might screw into the hole.

That said, they are very close, the 3/8" bolt is about 0.019" smaller and the pitch's are very close so the 3/8 -16 bolt will thread into the 10mm x 1.5 hole.
The use of a 3/8-16 bolt comes out to be approximately .024" to small ( about .012" on a side-l ess than a 64th").
To much wiggle might not be felt with grit and dirt working upside down and backwards.
The engineered Clarence for the threads to do what the deal was designed to do will be wrong.
It also has to do with how many threads are engaged in the application.
Wrong bolt in the threaded hole will fail something one way or another.

I posted all the information with the numbers and where to buy them but I can find that post now, don't know how. It was really good. I lost it in SS someplace in the last year or so.

Hey, ........... I found a metric thread in my Deuce, was I surprised!

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found some of that information from my starter bolt post, couldn't find the post.

5306-01-227-9085 (5306012279085) NSN Information
NSNFSCNIINItem NameINC
5306-01-227-90855306012279085Bolt, Close Tolerance27851
5306-01-227-9085 Features GM PART #15544950
MRCParameterCharacteristics
AAJFThread DirectionRight-hand
AASAThread Length6.0 millimeters nominal
AASBFastener Length109.5 millimeters minimum and 111.0 millimeters maximum
AASKHead StyleHexagon
AASUHead Height6.17 millimeters minimum and 6.63 millimeters maximum
AATBWidth Between Flats14.70 millimeters minimum and 15.00 millimeters maximum
AAURGrip Diameter9.8900 millimeters minimum and 10.0000 millimeters maximum
AHYMNominal Thread Diameter10.0 millimeters
ANEEGrip Length90.00 millimeters nominal
CQQRThread Pitch in Millimeters1.5
CQWRExternal Thread Tolerance Class6G
MATTMaterialSteel overall
MDCLMaterial Document and ClassificationGm 500-M fscm 11862 mfr ref single material response overall
SFTTSurface TreatmentZinc overall
STDCSurface Treatment Document and ClassificationGm 4342-M 20D48 fscm 11862 mfr ref single treatment response overall
THSDThread Series DesignatorM

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks