• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV help

gigabelly

I have an M1008. The previous owner got it from Gov. Liq. and he put in a standard tranny, rebuilt the front end, and dropped it from 24V to 12V. I took it in to a local auto shop to put new shocks on it as they feel "origianal" and thought it would be no problem. Well, it was a problem. They cannot find what parts to use based off of the VIN so he is stuck.

Also, I want to get some spare electrical parts for EMP backup. I understand the alternator and the glow pulg solenoid are what I should store, but since it has been dropped down to a 12V, does that change the parts I need to buy? The previous owner did leave both batteries in, but just put them in parallel instead of series....or is that backwards...I always get that confused.

If anyone has experience on the type of shocks I should use, please let me know. I will go stick a multimeter on the solenoid to be sure it is 12V and just buy one based on the voltage. I am pretty sure that the alternators are 12V as he took one off when he converted the electrical.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gigabelly

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 2 months, have you read any of the daily threads?

Your title is nearly useless(it did fill in that box...)! This is the CUCV forum, and we expect you need help because you posted in the forum(it is painfully obvious when posters share info(help the other way).

With that said, without pics and a good description, we have no way of telling how your truck was "converted" to 12v.

It is critical that you use the correct relay for the GP system(has been posted 10 times in a month, if it has been ever said before).

No, I'm not grumpy...

Oh yeah, tell the dude at the counter, you have an 1984 Chevy K30 for the shocks(and most other parts)

gigabelly

Doghead,

No, I have not been on here in a couple of months. Not that I don't appreciate the warm reception.

I guess I should have searched the forums before I posted. Sorry to trouble you, sir.

out.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You joined on 8-17-11.

no need to apologize.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me rephrase all that,

Welcome to the site. Your in the right place for MV help.

The relay part number is st-85 or gp109.

Shocks for an 1984 K30 will fit.

The stock alt is a Delco 27si 100 amp, isolated ground.

Disciple

Congrats, gigabelly! You have now passed your hazing/initiation by being barked at by Doghead! He can come off a little gruff, but he means well and there is NOBODY that knows more about these trucks. Little tip: learn how to use the "Search" function well, it will save you a bunch of emberassment.

Welcome aboard!

jimmyzwei

I have not passed a forum hazing/initiation yet, it will come I'm positively sure of that.

Another main point i think doghead was making is let your subject say what your looking for - could have read "need commercial part # for M1008 shocks" or "help with 12v conversion by previous owner" JMHO

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Giga you have not yet gotten reminded about the technical manuals,[thumbzup]. I am new to the hobby of mv and actually spend at least 30 minutes per day just reading posts on this site to educate my self on my 1009. It is amazing how much I have learned in two months.

The manuals take a couple of hours to figure out the format, I am still not as quick as I would like to be in finding which sneak and section to go to but it gets better every time.

If you are really planning for bug out, ther are 4 great threads that are very active. I start with the new posts sections now to scan as there are a number of topics that are catching my attention.

IMHO, I would really focus on understanding your vehicle and your goals before spending money on parts. Extra parts without a good comfort level of every aspect of your mission and equipment does you no good

Steve