• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV High Rev when started?

jhowder8

Thanks for the add!

So I bought a CUCV (1009) yesterday that I've been looking at for a while. The problem is, if it sits more than a few hours, when starting it has to crank for a while, maybe a minute. Usually I have to hit the accelerator to get it to fire, and then when it does, the RPMs skyrocket, probably to the redline (3600 I believe?). I turn the key off real fast and it stops, and then when I turn it over it usually starts, but did it twice on me today. When it does start correctly, it will stumble for a few seconds and then pick up it's idle and run perfectly. Because it has to crank so much, it has me thinking either I have fuel bleeding off or a bad fuel pump, but I don't know what would cause it to dump so much fuel to it when it first starts. Any suggestions where to begin looking? I'm very new to both CUCV's and diesels but have worked on gas engines quite a bit.. Any help is much appreciated!

jhowder8

Is that a replacement check valve or did you add one? I just realized that my fuel filter seems to have a drip out the bottom when running, which I assume means its bleeding off when it isn't..

welpro222

Classic fuel filter housing leak most likely, unless the water drain valve is loose? There is a fix for the leak problem or buy a spin on style filer system. I recommend one of the Racor systems that has the priming system and the water separator bowl., its $$$ but nice.

welpro222

Adding a check valve is only a bandaid. If all your hose clamps r tight, the lift pump is working properly, and there are no leaks. It should fire up no matter how long it sits.

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the high idle solenoid on the drivers side of the IP. If it is not adjusted correctly, it will kick in when you hit the accelerator and hold the IP at a very high idle.
For a cheap check, just unplug it and see if it starts at a normal idle speed. If so, just back the plunger off to set a cold idle speed of about 1000 rpm.

jhowder8

It's not a cold-engine idle, it's like a black smoke rolling redline.. But I believe it was te filter, I will have go check tomorrow when it will have had a chance to bleed off if it's going to, thanks again everyone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks