• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II/CUCV2 battery issues

reliabledan95

To any one whom might know, I have a cucv2 and I'm having issues with my battery's draining. I've gone threw about 6 battery's in the last year or so. This problem is starting to be a hassle . The last time I changed out my battery's I checked my alternator and it had gone bad, so I changed it out. But the problem is that my battery"s are still draining . I starting to think it might be a relay, but I'm not sure were to look. If anyone knows about how I can fix this issue please HELP.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Nico

Hi!
I got the Draining Problem also.
I fixed fuse problem on the Resistor that cause the "no charge" issue for the Passenger batt. (14,4V on the passenger batt. while engine / gen. running.)
But i still can`t start after a few day`s without charging the battery`s first.
Warthog, as far as i understand you bypassed the B/O light`s to prevent the draining of my truck batt. aren`t you?
I bought 2 of the CTEK Monitor Battery Sense for each Battery to check what is the status easy with my i phone.
IMG_8744.jpg

After a few days of testing it showes that passenger Batt. is still the problem:
IMG_8838.jpg
This is the Passenger batt. after a night without connected to a batterycharger:
IMG_8840.jpg

Any idea what to do next.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20130418_064619.jpg

For what it's worth, the CUCV II/Navy Chevy truck that my unit in Korea picked up from DRMO, had a master kill switch in it. The drain was bad enough that if you left it for a few hours you could get to a no start condition.

Stonepicker1

Hi!
I got the Draining Problem also.
I fixed fuse problem on the Resistor that cause the "no charge" issue for the Passenger batt. (14,4V on the passenger batt. while engine / gen. running.)
But i still can`t start after a few day`s without charging the battery`s first.
Warthog, as far as i understand you bypassed the B/O light`s to prevent the draining of my truck batt. aren`t you?
I bought 2 of the CTEK Monitor Battery Sense for each Battery to check what is the status easy with my i phone.
View attachment 638326

After a few days of testing it showes that passenger Batt. is still the problem:
View attachment 638327
This is the Passenger batt. after a night without connected to a batterycharger:
View attachment 638332

Any idea what to do next.
I had a starting issue with my crew cab and it was the OPTIMA Yellow battery on the 12 volt side. It was 3-1/2 year old battery and would go dead after two days(6 months ago it would go dead after 4 or 5 days). Load test showed weak after I recharged it.
Put a new OPTIMA Battery in and no problems now.

Blackout switch, terminal corrosion are somethings to look at.

Nico

Thx 4 the reply Stonepicker, i changed from red to yellow top about 5 month ago. My batterycharger got a recond funktion the passenger side got 13.1 V After that procedure. That should be enough. But what is sucking only the right batt. Dry, since warthog has bypassed the blackout lights? I thought someone solved that Issue already.

Stonepicker1

No significant draining measured in the fuse box. Maybe the Converter...
I thought the converter only got energized when the ignition was turned on.

I switch the Service Light switch to "ALL OFF" and after 6 month with the truck not being started. The truck will start right up.

If I don't move the Service Switch, my Crew Cab CUCV-II truck it will have a dead battery in about 9 to 12 days.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the B/O switch in the ON position there is an added relay under the dash the gets energized. I had the same
issue on my CUCV2 and made a bypass of the B/O switch. Didn't have any more issues of the 12v side draining the battery

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks