• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II EUC, Got it today

davo727

Hi, Heres the link for a help forum for the 6.5 diesels.

GM 6.5 Diesel Engines - DieselTowingResource.com

There are some guys on there that are super sharp on the computer controlled 6.5 engines. You are gonna need all the help you can get with that thing. I wish you well on your truck so dont take this the wrong way, just want to give an opinion for others considering a CUCV-2 that the 1994 and later 6.5 turbo engines are computer controlled and are a royal pain with a bunch of extra sensors, computer controlled wastegate, electronic injection pump mounted driver unit that are unreliable. Lots of issues. Sorry for the lack of good news but that forum will certainly help. Dave

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Phil, why don't you throw a few bolts in and try to crank her over, maybe give it a little burp of silicone to see if it wants to start. I have a 6.5 still in my 94. Has a bad injection pump but was running fine before that. Has 180,000+ miles on it. Really didn't want to get rid of it but if you're in a pinch, I might could help out. The truck is eventually going to the sold for parts, I need it gone by late May. It too has the 4L80E tranny. My goal was to keep the 6.5 and every thing else was to go. Let me know.

GreenBull

Cool truck, Good Luck! The I don't think as many of these were sold in the US as GM exported. In 1993-4 I worked on some 1994 MY trucks that were being upfit by US Trailer inc into an M1031 configuration prior to export to Saudi. These trucks were 350 open loop TBI leaded fuel. I remember thinking at the time that these trucks were pretty cool. They were setup to run with only MAP and TPS for sensors. I found out that this was standard for ME export configuration for TBI. The other funny thing is that they were GMC. I found out later that GMC had a good name with the Saudis (they pronounce GMC as jimc). The trucks were a normal ME export GMC k3 cab chassis that was upfit prior to export. They wacked off the stock aluminum gen bracket and overlay-ed a steel bracket for the 24v gen.

Those trucks had a single 24 volt generator and slave start receptacle. They had the blackout lights grille guards and D rings. Arabic mirrors and labels. Unlike a CUCV the starter was 12v.

The US trailer fellow that I dealt with said that GM had delivered 1000s of these in all the CUCV configurations to the Saudis. I believe that ASC inc in Brighton MI did the troop seat versions. I'm not sure about any 1009 or Suburban versions. He told me that The 1031 versions mostly got used for haji duty. He said that the state of unit maintenance was that they would use them till they quit running and then went and got another. Said he saw acres of these things parked with sand piling up in them. He had gone over and worked with them when they had deadheaded enough to worry about it. He worked specifically on the ambulance/upfit items.

15 years, wow! I was young back then...

Stonepicker1

Well guys, I'm back from Iraq and it's time to get this CUCV-II fixed.
I wanted a new AM General P400 6.5L turbo diesel engine(a lot of HP and torque) but because of the cast-iron block girdle and bigger oil pan it won't fit.:cry:
Someone did make it work in their K3500 by creating a new oil pan. IF SOMEONE KNOW'S ABOUT THIS AND CAN GET ME THE OIL PAN I'LL GET THE P400.
It's only a few 100$$ more than the GEP's Optimizer 6500 out of Franklin, Ohio. Which is what I'm looking at getting as of now.
Long block is going to cost around $5,500 shipped.

I just bought a 2 ton Gentry Hoist that I need to setup so I can start pulling the old engine(only 19,000 miles)

I'll post more pictures later.

48cj2a

Welcome Back!

Question was raised earlier about if they ever made other CUCV IIs for US. The Air Force bought quite a few of the Blazer version. My unit had 2 and every USAF Combat Comm unit received two as well. We have since replaced them with Blue Fleet Super Dutys, but our Sky Cops still use one and the Aeral Port Folks have the other one.

Ours are Gasoline versions (no diesel).