• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Injection Pump

donalloy1

Dear Fellow SSer's,

Want to build a backup Injection Pump for my 86 M1009.

Question is. Were there any changes to pump that would prevent me from using one from another model or year of production CUCV?

My existing pump seems to be functioning well. When I blend fuel though. It leaks a couple tablespoons of fuel onto ground when I stop? Down back of Bell Housing onto Starter.

Only getting about 15mpg also. My hopes are that that will get better also. I am sure that is partly due to fuel being lost in circuit?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. DMLII sends...

ryan77

Sounds like your pump is leaking onto the intake valley and down the back! Time for a rebuild on the pump.

donalloy1

Yes, i agree. Want to purchase one build and install. Then build original unit and have a spare. Thats the plan. Need to know if there were changes to IP's over the years or by CUCV model? Would hate to purchase one that is not designed for my 86 09.:drool:

i think our jcode ip pumps are diffrent from the civilian ip pump i cant rember the reason why but a friend of mine told me to mark my pump when it was rebuilted so i could tell if i got mine back or not thats just me im sure someone will chime in and give a reason :].As for diffrent models im sure the cucvs m1008 m1009 m1028 m1010 all were suppose to have the same ip pump but who knows what gm used someone was bound to get something diffrent at some point with so many of the trucks made

Last edited:

GPrez

Mine was leaking from the throttle linkage and dripping off the bell housing. You may have the same problem I did and this is a common place for the IP to leak. I bought a rebuilt J code IP from Mid West Fuel Injection and it worked out great. You will need to send them your IP as a core. Whomever you purchase one from my advice is to be sure they are a Stanadyne authorized dealer. There are a lot of places doing rebuilds with inferior parts based on the research I did.

donalloy1

Ok, error on caution is the word. Will continue to try and find a IP that I can have as a spare. Anyone out there have one that they can part with? Would rather purchase from those that I trust here than chance elsewhere. DMLII sends...

hmsgoodhope

re. rebuild

Am interested in your progress - have same issue and am looking for a "reasonably priced" replacement so that I can pull existing unit - rebuild and have spare "on shelf" for my M1008/M1009. Keep us posted - I will do same if I have a breakthrough before you do. My M1009 is in shop undergoing slow (but I hope in the long run cheap) overhaul - they let me work on it on their lift, sell me fluids, and do "tough stuff" I don't have tools, or patience :) to do.

Cheers,

Ed

cucv1833

Dear Fellow SSer's,
My existing pump seems to be functioning well. When I blend fuel though. It leaks a couple tablespoons of fuel onto ground when I stop? Down back of Bell Housing onto Starter.
QUOTE]

Did you find the leak yet?? I think I want to put a new pump in also. But mine starts and runs great. So I havent commited yet. I also have a leak on the bellhousing and starter but cant find the leak yet.

When i first got the truck I found some specks in the Drain back valve on top of the IP so I guess I have a rebuild in the future. I would like to do a full rebuilt with gaskets and injectors.

Skinny

From what I have read this is a classic throttle shaft o-ring leak. I have the same symptom. I have yet to find a specific procedure to just replacing the o-rings. Something like remove the plenum, pull the IP cover plate, undo a clip, and the shaft slides out. I bought a seal kit off ebay that another SS member recommended. The other thing I read is that if the throttle shaft bushings are loose, it will leak again and require a full rebuild.

I will be tackling mine shortly.

distantgi

Check the governor cover on top of the IP, if the cover has been pulled off recently the seal may be bad so might be something to look at. Save a couple bucks ya know.

donalloy1

Am interested in your progress - have same issue and am looking for a "reasonably priced" replacement so that I can pull existing unit - rebuild and have spare "on shelf" for my M1008/M1009. Keep us posted - I will do same if I have a breakthrough before you do. My M1009 is in shop undergoing slow (but I hope in the long run cheap) overhaul - they let me work on it on their lift, sell me fluids, and do "tough stuff" I don't have tools, or patience :) to do.

Cheers,

Ed
Still have not purchased unit to build. Will jump on one someday. Had an opportunity a little while ago and missed it. To many projects and not enough money/time ya know!

Stopped adding other than pump diesel and leak stopped. Maybe seals do not like to push through other fuels?

Will keep you all posted with progress. DMLII sends....

Abbylind

When I first got my 08 it had the classic fuel leaking out of the IP down the gallery and out the back. I bought a rebuild kit from Gomers Diesel. The shaft o-rings were shot. Took off the intake manifold and took the IP apart. Replaced the shaft o-rings and the top cover seal. Hasnt leaked in 10 years (knock on wood) :-D

tryon

i have a fuel problem as well

hey guys, i apologize for bringing up a old thread, but i actually need some help. i have a 86 M1009 that is not getting fuel. i have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and even bled the lines. but she will turn over when you feed her fuel through a gas can, but when you hook all the hoses up again. she acts like she is not getting fuel. would anybody happen to know what this may be? would my GEN 2 light have anything to do with it?
i am thinking injector pump, but i am not too sure. would yall have any suggestions? i have tried so much because the is just a project but its been more of a hassle then anything.

any open ideas or anything would be great,
Tryon

also, PM me any suggestions maybe or even email me would be great. thanks!

epartsman

hey guys, i apologize for bringing up a old thread, but i actually need some help. i have a 86 M1009 that is not getting fuel. i have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and even bled the lines. but she will turn over when you feed her fuel through a gas can, but when you hook all the hoses up again. she acts like she is not getting fuel. would anybody happen to know what this may be? would my GEN 2 light have anything to do with it?
i am thinking injector pump, but i am not too sure. would yall have any suggestions? i have tried so much because the is just a project but its been more of a hassle then anything.

any open ideas or anything would be great,
Tryon

also, PM me any suggestions maybe or even email me would be great. thanks!
Make sure all the air is bled out of the lines. A leak in the line towards the tank getting air into the system or a clogged pick up tube is possible. Sounds like you may have to drop the tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks