• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Instrument Cluster Questions

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, finally underway with the trans swap on my SECM. When I pulled the cluster out I was greeted with a destroyed printed circuit. New one is being shipped in. The question is can I start this sucker up to move it across the yard?

Thanks

Al Harvey

I just wouldn't let it run for a long period. The alternators probably won't be charging with the circuit panel out.

cucvrus

Strange as it may sound my alternators charge on an M1009 that I have with no cluster in it. Not sure how/why don't care but the gauge shows correct charge. And i run it quite a bit with no problems.

Al Harvey

Not trying to side rail this, but I put aftermarket gauges in my M1009 in the factory light holes. I just pulled the circuit panel back and out of the way. No problems whatsoever. But when I did the same thing in my M1028A1 contact truck, they would charge unless the bulbs were put back in the circuit panel. I'm wondering if something might be different in the M1009s. hmmmmmmmm

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LMC and Classic Industries have the printed circuit. Both were $69 + ride but shipping from one was high and the other higher. FWIW I got the part number from the he helpful threads sticky under one of the instrument cluster threads.

cucvrus

Don't you guys have a couple instrument clusters laying around? Every civilian one I see at the YOUPULLIT with idiot lights I grab up. It is the exact same thing as the CUCV and has the same part number. FYI for future raids of the YOUPULLIT.

richingalveston

If the plastic is bad (the back shell of the cluster) then it is a good time to upgrade to a cluster with gauges, if it is just circuit board the previous post told you all you need to know. You can even purchase all the new gauges if you want to go that way$.
but don't pass on a civy cluster with gauges. The upgrade is not hard and you can purchase the large tach and small fuel gauge. I did a lot of other things to mine but getting the basic civy with gauges is not a bad upgrade.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of those Rich. Eventually I'll get behind the dash and repin the plug to install it. Right now I need a quick fix as I have another load to move to GA.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
for those of you looking for clusters , hit the antique car flea markets or your local bone yards, first thing to check is to see if the tab for the gear shift indicator cable is still in one piece , if it's broken off don't waste your time, I've had to change 3 just for that reason , and DON'T touch them in the winter , it's plastic , all you will do is break it, unless you have a nice warm place to work, these clusters are just stock plain jane pick-up truck clusters, nothing special because they are in a CUCV, $10-$20 item at the flea markets,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to get a pic of the sheetmetal in my truck. It has a neatly located sheetmetal screw with a sleeve on it that replaces the need for that tab. It worked really good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks