• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv led tail lights

forest522

LMC and others have a good conversion kit. Expect to pay about $120 or so. I installed a set in mine, they look great and it was an easy install.

- Clean all grounds thoroughly
- Install/replace existing flasher with an electronic flasher at the fuse panel. not a heavy duty one
- It's also a good time to either thoroughly clean the lenses or just replace them

It's a luxury item, but does look better and is brighter. The your going to want brighter back up lights...the disease only spreads!!!

original

Buy stand alone 12v leds from amazon and fit them in the original bezel. I've done this for many applications. Don't buy red leds to go under a red lens. Always go with white, the lens will provide plenty of color. After fitting the leds you can paint the bezel for a better look. The easiest option is just to buy led bulbs to replace the originals.

M923driver

The LMC kit looks like what I saw on EPay, but it didn't include the lenses and was a lot more $$$. Looks like a straight forward install and nice results. Thanks for all the input guys. :beer:

I got individual led single red bulbs from autozone.They work great even under red lenses and my truck just passed the NC safety inspection.:beer:.Forrest if you can find them go for it.They dont draw that much power so thats another reduction on the military wiring.Leds are freaking bright a cop ask me one nite about them he said he wish more people would do it.I dont see why they wouldnt. I cant rember if i did or not i will look tommrow as i have new tail light lenses im putting on.

Attachments

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't buy red leds to go under a red lens. Always go with white, the lens will provide plenty of color.
I know this is an older thread, but I had to comment.

No, no, and NO!

LEDs are completely different than standard bulbs.

Standard CLEAR bulbs put out a broad spectrum of light, and the filter, you guessed it, FILTERS that bandwidth of light.

The standard red-red/orange filter is usually around 625nm, meaning that most light that's NOT around that wavelength, is filtered out. So when you have a RED LED that's at 640nm, it'll pass through fairly easily.

HOWEVER, with WHITE LEDs, they usually either combine all 3 colors to make 'white', which means you're only getting 1/3 the output by stripping out the green and blue, OR, more commonly, a BLUE diode with phospor material to emit a broader spectrum of light, but again, being strongest around 500nm, which again means that anything OTHER than red, is being stripped out.

So, do you want most of your red light passing through, or 1/3 of your 'white' light (the part of the red spectrum that it's emitting) passing through?

I was planning on making a diagram, but found one already made.

lenscolor.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info even if I wasn't going to put LEDs in my truck. When I built the lightbar I used amber LEDs behind the amber lens because they only had amber LEDs. So it worked out!

richingalveston

I used all led's, color to match the lens in my 1009. And they are much brighter. I purchased them from Superbrightleds.com. I replaced all but the front blinker lights, by leaving the blinker lights that are under the headlights regular bulbs, you do not have to make any changes to the flasher.
All turn signals work, when all led's are used, you have to install a special flasher mechanism.

Lild

^^^agreed. On my ninja, my tail light is a 3 way combo. Brake/running light/l&r turn signal. The standard bulb was too dim. So i up graded to the red leds @ advanceauto. Much brighter, at night u want to be visible as possible on a bike. How ever i did get the hyper flash, when using the turn signals. On another forum for ninja bikes, some one figured out what kind of flasher fuse to use, but u had to cut the existing 2 prong plug, & splice in to separate prong wires. It only took 10 mins. To do. Im sure the same set up could be done. But imo i like the hyper flash, seems to make u more noticed. On a side note, the leds are a nice-upgrade as well help saving the battery juice, as well as the generator on the bike. Hopefully the next upgrade will be hid head lights.

Lild

Also, on a car i used to own, i had a set of turn/sidemarker lights that took a 1157 bulb, i had some nice bulbsin the clear lens, had a blue tint when off, but on turned white when i turned on the park lights & flashed orange whEn i used the turn signal.

MarcusOReallyus

LEDs are completely different than standard bulbs.

Thanks, TW. I knew the light filtering issues, so when I read about it online at various places, it made sense to me.

White LEDs under red seems right intuitively, unless you understand how light is generated and filtered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks