• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV low miles or high miles

hiluxxulih

When buying a surplus CUCV should I get one with high miles on the odometer or low miles on the odometer , assuming that if it has low miles it has already turned over :confused:

kipman

Good question, look at the overall condition, like any used truck, if runs and shifts good, then do not worry, I feel the low milage could be accurate, but who knows.

Westech

CPL
Cant really go by miles.. seen some 20K just a total loss... rusted missing parts ect... The one I just got last month from GL had 59K and a BRAND NEW engine and trans in it. Like Kipman said "look at the overall condition"

hiluxxulih

I think i am most concerned about rust on the cab corners , my 87 GMC 3/4 ton is a rust bucket , I can deal with the mechanical parts its the rust that I cant deal with .

2mtrucks

I bought mine with only 6000 mi on it...no rust, perfect sheetmetal,seat, dash etc. But I dont think it was ever serviced or maintained. It still had the original fact. oil filter and probably the original engine oil, which was low and very dirty. The condition of the body(no rust) was most important to me but I dont think miles are always a good indicator of mechanical condition. I would be more impressed with lots of new parts.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of guys believe the mileage more than their eyes. Just because it says 2,400 miles does not mean it is so. I've seen plenty of CUCVs on many sales. It seems to me as though those with the lowest miles go for the most money. I remember an M1009 in DE a while back. The description said it had 1,600 miles. Anyone could tell from the pics that the truck had 101,600 or even 201,600...but that truck brought the most money.

In the end, don't trust the odometer as they can be replaced...and, as stated above, the truck might have lived a hard life. Go for the clean truck irrespective of the mileage.

HardCorps79

Another consideration is that sometimes the mileage is low for a reason. My experience in the military has been that we put a lot more miles on our vehicles that run well. The problem children just sit at the motor pool and rot. At least that's how it's been with a high operational tempo. May have been different in peacetime ops. I wouldn't give $1k more for one with questionably low (or high) mileage. Most are in the mid 40k-60k range. This seems to be legitimate for the amount of wear on the vehicles and engine components, as far as I can tell.

rbuster

I think i am most concerned about rust on the cab corners .
On GL I just purchased an M1008A1 in AL sight-unseen, but the pictures looked good. Turns out to be a truck shipped up from FL. It had been recently repainted after the cab corners were recreated out of chicken wire and bondo. I'm sure there was not intent to do this to enhance sale price - just part of the routine maintenance program.

Bottom line - don't trust the pictures. Bid low or not at all if you or one you trust can't inspect. It's a role of the dice. Feeling lucky?

army98

I bougt my 1031 sight un seen , 13000+ miles , Had to put alot of work in it but it runs great and I drive it daily ... have 19000+ miles on it now

zachstep25

Definetly dont trust the miles, I have worked at the same NG post for several years, and seen the odometer turn over many many times.