• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV m1008 bed conversion

cook6657

I have an 85 m1008 that I restored recently and I want to build an off road truck out of it. I also recently picked up an m101a2 trailer to do the bed conversion, but once I hooked the two together I want to restore the trailer and keep them together. I know it's not a classic, but i am having a hard time with this one. Any suggestions? 20141025_160345[1].jpg20141025_120914[1].jpg20141025_160301[1].jpg.

1StumpJumper

Recently did this myself. The swap was pretty straight forward. Here are a few things to be aware of.

Inside measurement of wheel wells is narrower on the trailer bed. Problem if you want to haul plywood or a camper.

You need to plan something for your tail lights. I used L.E.D. ovals recessed mounted between the bed and bumper.

The trailer bed is narrower. I am running 12 bolts with 2" spacers and the fenders do not cover the tires.

Mounting a canopy is a bit tricky as the top flange of the bed turns outboard, contrary to the stock bed.

I still feel a little shameful that I took a good, serviceable trailer out of commission.

All that said, I do not regret it at all. I think this is how they should have been built in the first place! I just had a pair of rock sliders made and reccomend them as well.

Last edited:

cook6657

do you have any pictures? I know it will be nasty when done, but like you i feel bad taking good stuff and tearing it apart. My trailer needs some patch work and I want build some rockers like the ones on petersons tug truck.

cook6657

Rusty the guy I bought my trailer from had a few m1101 and they are huge. They looked nearly 8 ft wide. They are also aluminum, making it harder to modify. Unless you can weld aluminum.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you keep it as is. I've not seen a conversion I liked yet. In my opinion, you would have to section the floor up to get the bed sides proportionate to the truck. The bed just sitting on the frame looks way too high for me. Again, just my point of view.

cook6657

I know I keep going back and forth. I am dead set on it, then I go outside and look at the truck and trailer, and no so sure then. I need pictures.

scottladdy

I hope you keep it as is. I've not seen a conversion I liked yet. In my opinion, you would have to section the floor up to get the bed sides proportionate to the truck. The bed just sitting on the frame looks way too high for me. Again, just my point of view.
Agreed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a little pic alterations in Paint, to a pic a member posted. He had a 101 bed on the truck. I lowered the sides and it did look much better. I was contemplating using 101 sides on a wrecker bed project I have. I'd post the pic but I don't recall whos truck it was to get permission.

llong66

1StumpJumper, I can defiantly see your dilemma!! I am curious about the brand of tire on the rear in the pic Drock posted in post number 9, any one have any idea?

llong66

cook6657, when you say nasty off road how do you mean? They do not perform well? I didnt think they looked like they would be an ideal street tire.
Thanks much!

Greg

cook6657

Yeah I had them on a CJ7 and you couldn't stop them in the mud. On the pavement they make you pay for the off road performance. They wear fast if you keep them on the pavement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks