• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1008 common parts with civilian Chevy or GMC pickup?

MaximumBob

Been lurking for a while, recently joined, quick question:

How to I find standard replacement parts for my [recently purchased] M1008. Specifically, I'm guessing that I'll immediately need things like brake pads. I'm hoping that there is an equivalent civilian vehicle for standard parts. Chevy did make a 1 ton K30 4X4 in 1985, but I don't know if it came in diesel. I realize that the M1008 is 1.25 ton, but I'm still hoping that there are common parts.

Restated, what's a good source for common parts?

Also, and I did download 4,000 pages of CUCV military manuals yesterday, but is there a standard Haynes manual that covers the basics? I've got a GMC Pick-up Haynes 67-87 that covers the 208 transfer case, but haven't look for any other similarities. If there was a 6.2 diesel K30 - I'm hoping that that manual will contain lots of relevant information.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

mangus580

RE: CUCV M1008 common parts with civilian Chevy or GMC picku

Do some searching on the forums, you will find all the info you need. The 1008 is basically a Chevy 1 ton diesel pickup. The majority of what you need can be had just about anywhere.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Brake parts are common to the K-30. 6.2 diesels were also available in the K-30. Some military hardware and a lot of the wiring differ from the civilian trucks as does the starter. Other than that, most everything is interchangable. I've found that GM belts last longer and fit better than the auto parts store belts. Your Haynes or Chiltons manuals cover the majority of the truck except the electrical and military hardware. One more point to add, the glowplug circuit is different even though it uses 12V glowplugs. Starting is 24V.

hypgnostic

I'm waiting to get back to the states before I do any major engine work, but everything else I've found at JCWhitney and other aftermarket sites. TM 9-2320-289-20P has been completely indispensable to me, as it lists most all the part numbers I've needed, not NSN's but Chevy part numbers. It's got your entire brake assembly in there. One problem I DID run into though was in one instance, (the dash pad) the part number had changed. It took me awhile to track down the new part number. When I order off of most sites (Due to location, I have to mail order everything) I just use the K30 as my vehicle, and I haven't had any problems...not yet anyway...

Another thing is just looking through this site. It's been an IMMENSE help to me...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I bought a Haynes 6.2L diesel repair manual when I got my first CUCV. You have to thumb through pages of 350 Olds diesel, 6.9/7.3L Ford diesel stuff to get to it, but it had everything I ever needed. The only thing it won't cover is the Glow plug system and you should have plenty of info in your TM's for that.

Good luck and I'm glad the site has been useful to you. Stay safe in Cuba!

AJMBLAZER

The suspension isn't anything special. Just as today a "1-ton" truck has FAR more capacity than a 1965 "1-ton" truck back in the mid 80's what GM called a 1/2 ton Blazer the military called a 5/8 ton and the 1 ton pickup was referred to as a 1.25 ton. The springs are all standard GM springs that any civilian truck could have gotten. The M1028's with the heavy capacity springs got the highest GVWR 1-ton rear springs for the camper, towing, and snow plow packages combo.

Aside from the 24 volt start, some of the wiring, and other military doo-dads the only major difference is that the M1008's got the NP208 transfer case instead of the NP205. It's the same transfer case the CUCV Blazers got and most civilian 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons used. The M1028's got the NP205 unless I'm mistaken.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

They are standard Chevy 1-ton trucks with frame re-inforcements and lifting shackles, brush guards, and a few other military items. The M1031, M1010 and M1028's had the optional overload leaf in the rear and a higher GVW. The military called them 5/4-ton trucks because it makes sense. Why GM calls them 1-ton's is what confuses me. The M1008 weighed 5900 with a GVW of 8800, which translates into a payload of 2900 lbs. With a 400 lb crew allowance, you are left with 2500 lbs payload = 1.25 tons. The M1028's had a GVW of 9400 lbs and could carry 3600 lbs, so they are technically more than 1.25-tons.

The M1031 got the NP205. Some of those were then converted into M1028A1's, and some of those were then converted into M1028A2 duallies. Not to say they don't exist, but I have never seen an M1028A1 that was not a converted M1031.

AJMBLAZER

It's tradition. Today's half tons, three quarter tons, and one tons can carry LOTS more than their counterparts fifty years ago...but they share the same ratings. Besides, if they went strictly by capacity then their weight based names would change every couple of years or so due to the ever increasing capabilities.
I overheard a conversation the other day where a contractor was complaining because he was pulled over and his F350 Super Duty with all of his stuff and the trailer was into the realm of requiring a chauffeur's license and the cop that pulled him over was telling him as much.

MaximumBob

Thanks for the quick responses - exactly what I was looking for. It will take a couple weeks for me to get the CUCV up to my shop, but I want to be ready to start work so this information is a big help.

MaximumBob

--------------------------------------
M1008 (in transit 3/07 - don't tell my wife!)

M998 scratch built replica - in process (original: M998 doors, hood, rear quarter panels, tailgate, 6.2 liter diesel; tubular steel body cage, Chevy Suburban axles and frame)

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: CUCV M1008 common parts with civilian Chevy or GMC p

AJMBLAZER said:
It's tradition. Today's half tons, three quarter tons, and one tons can carry LOTS more than their counterparts fifty years ago...but they share the same ratings. Besides, if they went strictly by capacity then their weight based names would change every couple of years or so due to the ever increasing capabilities.
I overheard a conversation the other day where a contractor was complaining because he was pulled over and his F350 Super Duty with all of his stuff and the trailer was into the realm of requiring a chauffeur's license and the cop that pulled him over was telling him as much.
And actually, come to think of it, I don't think GM every really refers to trucks by the 1, 3/4 or 1/2 ton names except in rare advertising. The model is just a 3500, 2500 and 1500. I guess those terms have just been around since the early days when those might have been the actual capacities?

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: CUCV M1008 common parts with civilian Chevy or G

No, I'm not much certain what they represented. Remember when the CUCV's were around it was K5, K10/15, K20/25, K30/K35, etc. It was that way back into at least the late 60's with the 67-72 body style. I also know in the late 50's the one ton models were called 3600's. I think over time the marketing guys took the numbers and went from there. K10=K1500, K20=K2500, K30=K3500 etc.

My vote has always been that the numbers were part of a system that never truely was based on anything in reality.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

M998 scratch built replica - in process (original: M998 doors, hood, rear quarter panels, tailgate, 6.2 liter diesel; tubular steel body cage, Chevy Suburban axles and frame)
Do you have a pictures of this that you might share with us? Sounds interesting.

CCATLETT1984

a big reason for the gov calling them 5/4 ton trucks, was so they got the meduim duty engine ( NO EMISSIONS GARBAGE) my truck has a sticker on the valve cover with the emissions execmption care of the US DoD :) :D

AJMBLAZER

Back then anything 3/4 ton and up was emissions exempt anyways. That's why they didn't have to install cats or list mpg on the vehicles.

MaximumBob

Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV M1008 common parts with civilian Chevy

doghead said:
Do you have a pictures of this that you might share with us? Sounds interesting.
Sorry I've been slow to respond - check out www.h1forum.com and go to the second heading - something like "Hummer Replica - General Discussion", then look for the thread that starts with "Here's when things went bad ...." - great chronicle of someone who is miles ahead of me on his build - I'm building the same thing - got most of the body cage parts cut, but nothing welded yet - I'm going to construct a frame jig. In the midst of the hundreds of cuts, a buddy has offered to lend me a $12,000 cold saw which will greatly improve my speed and accuracy of cuts - lots of precision necessary and I was using a bandsaw which was taking a ton of time.

At any rate, check out the thread above.

MaximumBob

ultim8gamr

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV M1008 common parts with civilian Ch

LMC Truck has a ton of parts for the truck. it only covers 1/2T and 3/4Ton in the catalog, but for cosmetic stuff and some engine stuff its a good place for parts. most of the trucks back then had same options as far as looks and the catalog has stuff for the 6.2L J engine that is found in our CUCVs. you can order the free catalog or look at it online (tho not as convenient).
http://www.LMCtruck.com
John

MaximumBob

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV M1008 common parts with civilian Ch

Great Source! Now I'm really going to get into trouble with the wife!

Thanks,

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks