• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1008 Rag Joint Replacement

All,
I bought a new column with tilt and delay wipers. I am ready to install the new steering column and I got this wild hair up my arse to replace the rag joint.

So I bought the leather disk, and bought new bolts to attach the floppy leather to the coupling joint thingy. (had to drill out/punch the old pins) Now I am trying to put it all back on the steering box and attach it to the column shaft. I attached the rag joint to the steering box, and I can get one bolt in through to the steering shaft, but the other bolt won’t line up to mate with the other hole in the steering shaft.

I undid the bolt I had attached to the steering shaft and installed the opposite bolt, and now I can’t get the original bolt back in. With the rubber/floppy thing being new, it’s hard to keep it compressed into the coupling/joint.

The steering column is still loose and laying on the bench seat. It is not attached to the truck in anyway. I am starting with the rag joint first before tightening anything else up.

For a two bolt operation... this has turned into a PIA. Any suggestions or am I just a intellectually challenged.

Kelly

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrman

My first suggestion is longer bolts that you can start and not tighten until both are going. I have a mental image of you playing see saw with the rag joint. Or, you just can't get the 3 things lined up on both sides at the same time?

Are you using all the same parts except for the new rag joint? GM had about 3 or 4 different sizes of those things. If you have mixed any parts in, go back to your originals.

yeah I think I am playing see saw... I will try longer bolts and see if that helps.

I drilled out the original pins and replaced with cap screws. I am using the original bolts that go into the steering column.

Well its official... I am "intellectually challenged"

The nut was on too tight and binding the steering column. I undid the nut so that it was barely on and the steering column relaxed and I was able to get the second bolt through and secure the nut.

Funny when your tired, mad and sore how we lose patience so easily!

Thanks!
kelly

Last edited:

usmcpatriot

All,
I bought a new column with tilt and delay wipers. I am ready to install the new steering column and I got this wild hair up my arse to replace the rag joint.

So I bought the leather disk, and bought new bolts to attach the floppy leather to the coupling joint thingy. (had to drill out/punch the old pins) Now I am trying to put it all back on the steering box and attach it to the column shaft. I attached the rag joint to the steering box, and I can get one bolt in through to the steering shaft, but the other bolt won’t line up to mate with the other hole in the steering shaft.

I undid the bolt I had attached to the steering shaft and installed the opposite bolt, and now I can’t get the original bolt back in. With the rubber/floppy thing being new, it’s hard to keep it compressed into the coupling/joint.

The steering column is still loose and laying on the bench seat. It is not attached to the truck in anyway. I am starting with the rag joint first before tightening anything else up.

For a two bolt operation... this has turned into a PIA. Any suggestions or am I just a intellectually challenged.

Kelly
Do you the spline size for that rag joint
job, have the same issue thanks

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a suggestion... although the ragjoint has worked for many years. I do consider it an upgrade that helps the steering on these old trucks. YMMV... :cool:

Crown Automotive Steering Shafts 4713943

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/another-m1010-owner.180524/post-2188773
Great idea, so you'd say this replacement steering shaft was worth it and helped removed some of the slop in the steering? So far I've changed everything steering related from the steering box to the kingpins and don't have any issues with handling but more of a firm feel would be nice.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea, so you'd say this replacement steering shaft was worth it and helped removed some of the slop in the steering? So far I've changed everything steering related from the steering box to the kingpins and don't have any issues with handling but more of a firm feel would be nice.
It definitely got rid of some of the vagueness with the wheel centered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks