• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1008 Steering Slip

Extra245

I have an M1008 and something strange has developed with the steering and steering wheel position. After recovering from a turn the 12 o’clock position on the steering wheel when driving straight is toward the direction of the last turn. So for instance if I make a hard RIGHT turn and then let the wheels find straight driving again the 12 o’clock position on the steering wheel is pointed approximately 80 degrees to the RIGHT. Then if I make a hard LEFT turn and then let the wheels find straight driving again the 12 o’clock position on the steering wheel is pointed approximately 90 degrees to the LEFT. If I hit a bump while driving straight the steering wheel will return to a closer position to center (Chevrolet Logo Upright). Extreme range of this “slip” as I call it is about 150-170 degrees on the steering wheel. The deviation is somewhat relative to the severity of turn and I can feel it when it slips in a progressive turn as in the physical rate of turn of the steering wheel translates inconsistently to the actual turn of the wheels. I have NOT experienced any sudden loss of steering control at least not in a noticeable amount… not YET that is… eek.

I couldn’t find anything on the forums but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen or may have an idea what it could be and how to fix.

Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

K10A

DONT drive it anymore till it gets fixed. Not something to chance.

Inspect the frame where the steering box mounts and they often crack there.

Inspect/replace the rag joint from the steering shaft to the box. They get oily and the rubber fails.

Inspect where the pitman arm is attached to the setcor shaft coming out of the ste=ring box. The pinch bolt may be loose and allowing the arm to rotate on the shaft.

hotdogs151a2

"I have NOT experienced any sudden loss of steering control at least not in a noticeable amount… not YET that is… eek."

Mr. Extra245:
Yes you have. Please, please do not drive that truck again until you find and fix the problem.
The TM's will help you trouble shoot the problem.
Thanks, Pvt. Hotdog

mtn man

Jacked up steering wheel

I was right here once. Wheel never would go back straight. It wasnt as pronounced as your sounds but similar. Replaced steering box with a used one and and pitman arm since it came with the box. I also replaced the drag and tie rod. All straight steering afterwards. Be careful...

unaffiliated

I had a 1981 Ford (I know the F Word) F150 4WD years ago that was doing something similar when I bought it and drove it home. Turned out a large chunk of the frame had broken off and the steering gearbox was dancing around all over the place. The piece was still attached to the gearbox. Made for an exciting ride for sure. I immediately un-bolted the gearbox and welded the crap out of the frame and reinforced it. That took care of the problem. I wasn't too upset, only paid $400 for the truck, drove it about a year, didn't do much else to it, then sold it for $500.

Extra245

Ok first I want to thank you all for the help and the concern for safety. I really do appreciate it. Not to worry; I don’t want to die for no good reason or worse cause harm to anyone else. -She sits in the yard for now.

So I checked out all of the things mentioned -very good advice all of it.

It turns out the whole mess was shifting on the leaf springs. .,.Spring pin you say? Yes something is definitely amiss there but ill have to wait for the weekend to find out why this happened (assuming shear) and make sure it doesn’t reoccur.

Lessons learned:
1 Troubleshooting of steering system is best done with two people in good lighting.
2 Beware of tunnel vision.
3 Discontinued operations of all vehicles will prevent operational failure while operating a vehicle (Thanks Bob)

kenz5380

Can you update us on what happened with this issue? I'm having a similar problem and I wonder if maybe you found a solution. Thanks