• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv m1008 washing of truck

lindyp38

Can i take my truck through a car wash without damage....?

Anyone have any experiences......?

Ive been washing myself.......but was wondering about taking it through the wash.....

I have troop seats in place....no cover......bows are stowed in the down position....

1redgmc

Can i take my truck through a car wash without damage....?

Anyone have any experiences......?

Ive been washing myself.......but was wondering about taking it through the wash.....

I have troop seats in place....no cover......bows are stowed in the down position....
So long as you use the touchless type, no problem. It's the spinning cloth wash that has potential to dislodge or damage your accessories. Antennas (the attached cables in particular) do not like the cloth machines. I'd rather not say how I know this.

Whitey

I still have the carc paint on my m1009. What kind of soap can you use? A light deterent? Or does it not matter?
You're supposed to powerwash CARC. If you rub it, it will lose its texture and look like poop.

I'm sure there's a maintenance manual floating around that addresses it.

bkwudzhom

Use a power washer to clear the Lic plate-head and tail lights-glass and to knock off clay chunks from wheels to keep death wobble away. Gently hand wash the CARC paint with a mild detergent and a soft cloth to keep from scratching sensitive paint.rofl

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use a power washer(hand held wand), you will leave marks in the paint, where the spray pattern was. Do not use a hand held wand.

What kind of detergent? HMM CARC, chemical agent resistive coating. any soap is fine.

We have no racks, my wife takes the M1008 to the local Delta Sonic, gets the "super kiss" wash. The workers there race to the truck, to get to drive it though the wash! It looks good when it's done. They use some serious "tire shine", it seems to get thrown up onto the panels and leaves spots that wont go away for a long time(looks like oil dripped on the paint).

OLDCHEV4X4

**** I am painting my wifes suburban with carc so that i don't have to wash it anymore. clean is for sheep shaggers and weenies.
Here in PA they use a lot of salt and pretreat the roads with brine. I wash my truck not to make it clean per say, but to remove all the rust promoting salt. I hate rust repair.

Whitey

If you use a power washer(hand held wand), you will leave marks in the paint, where the spray pattern was. Do not use a hand held wand.

What kind of detergent? HMM CARC, chemical agent resistive coating. any soap is fine.

We have no racks, my wife takes the M1008 to the local Delta Sonic, gets the "super kiss" wash. The workers there race to the truck, to get to drive it though the wash! It looks good when it's done. They use some serious "tire shine", it seems to get thrown up onto the panels and leaves spots that wont go away for a long time(looks like oil dripped on the paint).
The Army was nice enough to do a complete teardown and CARC repaint of my dad's deuce shortly before releasing it to GL. Sometime before we bought it someone drove it through some mud. J C Taylor wanted some pics before they would insure it, so I used a powerwasher with the nozzle that made a gentle fan type pattern. I took care not to keep the spray in one place for very long and to keep it back a few feet. Paint came out unscathed and looking beautiful. The key is to be careful.

lindyp38

when the weather allows...i use my powerwashing with the spray nozzle designed for siding and other softer items......

i was wondering about commercial car washing places......

as i said before....ill look for a brushless car wash place near to me....

thanks

cfish

Wheres that, just got flamed emotacon??? I knew as soon as I posted my question I was in for it. I will find a soft sheep to wash my m1009 with.:grin: