• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv m1009 drivers alternator not charging

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you install your new relay, test it to confirm it is correct. They look alike and parts guys have been known to take them out of the boxes and get them mixed up.

Better safe, than sorry.

63bravo

Ok replaced the relay with the st85 napa , Check the glow plugs and they do go off after warm up cycle , this don't make sense , I still wonder the first time I cleaned the bulk head connector the generator started charging but the glow plugs didn't come on ... I'm missing something ..

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where all of your GPs ok? 1-3 ohms?

63bravo

Yes ohm's were to spec , it was charging again for 20 minutes, again I thought I fixed it , the resistor was bypassed by the last owner , removed card and cleaned the contacts replaced the gp relay on the bulkhead , when I shut the truck down than restarted it it stopped charging , I'm pulling my hair out on this one!

cpf240

Are both alternators the same? IE both isolated-ground alts? If so, try swapping them, and see if the problem follows the alternator. If it does, then you know the alt is, at least, intermittently bad. Otherwise, you can go back to digging into the wiring, etc.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking your alternator regulator is intermittently bad.

I'd rebuild it(replace all internals).

Swapping them is a good idea too, but I like to rebuild(myself) them anytime a truck is new to me.

63bravo

Well just swapped generators from drivers gen too passenger gen , still not charging on the gen one side , all input voltage is present , don't know ...

Hammy

I just replaced my alts with two newly rebuilt ones i acquired from a cw3. this guy used to work on the m1008s and told me my alts were bad and to replace them with his. I did and i seem to be having the same problem as 63bravo. neither alts are charging but i know they are good. im going to check the bulkhead and the exciter wires tomorrow. its been about 3 months since this problem started rearing its ugly head. and a snow storm just destroyed St. Louis so I actually need my truck to get to work...

63bravo

you need too check and clean all connections,also check the generator bulbs they must light,make sure the generators are receiving feild voltage at the top plastic push in plug 12 volts and the large lug on the rear of the generator should be 12 volts, clean grounds test batteries ,you also preform voltage drop tests too charging system.

63bravo

well i finally fixed it for sure ,like you guys said intermittently defective regulator in both generators ,took them both to a old school rebuild shop ,200 bucks well spent .. thanks too every one who helped me

BostonPatriot28

My gen 1 light comes on as soon as I start it but the moment I touch the throttle it turns off. However I checked both alternators and driver alt is not charging battery so I'm going to remove itand install my rebuilt one. I'm going on a trip this summer I don't want any trouble if I can avoid it. I did replace both batteries this morning which leads me to believe the cause of the broken alternator

BostonPatriot28

Update on my gen 1 light coming on was bc my alternator failed to charge. Got my backup alternator rebuilt runs perfectly now
My gen 1 light comes on as soon as I start it but the moment I touch the throttle it turns off. However I checked both alternators and driver alt is not charging battery so I'm going to remove itand install my rebuilt one. I'm going on a trip this summer I don't want any trouble if I can avoid it. I did replace both batteries this morning which leads me to believe the cause of the broken alternator

mykey730

Hey guys i was looking throught this post and i am have a charging problem on gen 1. It all started when i noticed my front battery wasnt charging. And the batteries are new as of 8 months ago and just for laughs at the same time i built a new big set of battery cables. Well just last week i noticed my blower motor wasnt working so i looked and the fuse was blown so i put a new one in and it works fine now. But the front battery isnt charging. So i checked the gen 1 light bulb and cleaned the main firewall fuse plug. I even got the alternator rebuilt. Then i noticed the brown excitor wire on the alternator has the same voltage as the little red constant hot wire on the alternator. Im thinking that is my problem any suggestions would great thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks