• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1009 External spare tire mount

While I really like the exterior tire holder and would do it if I had the factory bumper I think ill opt for the bumper mounted swing out. I just think ill have more space and strength to work with. I love where your heads at though, this thread has spurred me to fab up a swing out for my step bumper. Thank you gentlemen.

Militia1776

I am in the process of fabricating and Mod to attach a swing out tire carrier on my 85 M1009 I will post some pricing and info about parts and ill take lots of pictures

Attachments

Last edited:

ssdvc

LOL !!!! No intention of doing that. It would be for my current truck, which needs some rockers and fender work too (a 2011 Southern Restorations truck that is rusting badly).

I am doing OK, thanks. Got to relax poolside in Kuwait for two days, so that didn't suck and arrived back to the states yesterday. I am jet lagged big time. I am glad the deployment is over.

I will email you over the next few days.

howardc

My CUCV came with a mount like that. Saves room in the back but makes it impossible to drive with the gate down. PITA when I was moving.

cucvrus

Side mount on an M1009. That would last 10 miles or 10 minutes which ever came first. What would you mount it to that could handle that weight and continue to take it. And it would great diminish your off road capability. Roof rack mount or rear rack mount. Of course the stock location is great and infallible.

richingalveston

I am considering a drop down tire carrier using the shackle mounts. The tire carrier would resemble an end over bar that would be on the front of a rock crawler. I had imagined the tire would lay on top of the bar when lowered which should making it easy to remove.

Bassicly a loop up and over from one shackle to the other with a cross bar where there is a mount for the wheel lugs.

It could be hydraulic or possibly operated by a small atv winch if you could make it automatic. This would probably take some counter levers under the truck.
by hand it would be heavy buy still a possibility.

I would have it lower to where the tire is laying flat at a level just under the tailgate. So the truck could be driven with tailgate down. You could make one for the front also for the serious trips when you want two spares. I would make it so it can be pinned in the upper or lower position.

I have not had time to do the design and work myself so I thought I would throw it out there to let someone else get started on it. Maybe it will give me a head start when I have the time to make mine.

Rich.

Barrman

Rich,
The tire tool turned winches pretty much all trucks and SUV's have used the last 20 years for spare storage would be perfect for your lay down tire mount. Light, simple and available in just about every junk your for cheap.

richingalveston

That could be a good addition:
I could possibly use one to lower the bar with and then also put one on the bar if I put the tire below the bar, then you could lower it to the ground. That might be cool.

I like the idea of the tire on top of the bar, then your locking lugs would be between the tire and the tail gate, be very hard to get off. They would have to figure out how to lower the bar first, which you could lock also.

I will look into the hand crank winch to lower the bar, I think my problem will be that my tire is about 150lbs maybe more.
I like the idea of a atv winch, they are pretty cheap and I can remote the switch.

I think I try the manual one first. I plan to add a hitch. An automatic bar will take some work under the truck and it can all be mounted to the added hitch.

A manual using the shackles would be quick and easy. I don't lower my gate much, just the window and it is electric so I don't have to worry about getting to the crank.

Rich

Bruticus Maximus

Im going to make a "L" shaped one this weekend, the tire will mount on the front side of it. Going to make it basic, just to have one. I have a set of drawers that im putting in the back of mine so an eventual hinge will be a must.im going to keep the stock 31s so it will not be to heavy.if anyrhing ill put a drop down extension bar to give me some leverage, maybe a torsion bar setup like what is in our tailgates