• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1009: Is it 3 OR 4 Outlets for Fuel Tank Sending Unit??

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing I'd do is check that ground on the tank.
Instead of unbolting the bed just unbolt the four bolts holding the tank mounting brackets in place, have a floor jack under it and then lower it to where you can get in there and work. I've been known to cheat a little and replaced all the fuel hoses with longer hoses to get a bit more room, make sure the hosed don't get pinched or rub.
Now that sounds like a way that I could do this by myself :)
The fuel hose cheat also sounds like a good idea. They probably need replaced anyway, as they were the one "rubber parts" that I didn't replace when I first got the truck. Thanks for the Tips [thumbzup]

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I was able to get the truck turned around backed into my garage and get underneith of it to look at the tank. I found the ground wire going to the fram, it wasn't corroded and the connection was strong. So I don't think its the ground wire, but I can not see anything on the top side of the tank as I do not have the time today drop it.

What I was able to see was one of the hard lines coming off the sending unit, where it connects to the rubber hose the clamp is just hanging there off of the hose. So either the hose has deteriorated enough that the clamp just came loose, or the clamp is broke. So now I have to drop the tank anyway to replace the hoses and clamps. I'm assuming that is just standard 3/8"? fuel line? From what I could see there didn't seem to be any that were "formed" lines.

Since I have to drop the tank, I am going to at least replace the fuel sending unit. I am considering to just replace tank, straps, and all as some have suggested. As I would say the inside of the tank probably has some corrosion and etc.

However I'm looking on LMC as I've ordered multiple parts from them in the past and always been quality. But with what they show I'm not sure which tank it is. My truck has the long tank on the drivers side, not a very good photo but its what I could get with my phone. Those things in the way are my side steps I built back 7 or 8 years ago, I'd have to unbolt them to get the tank down.

20230112_132402.jpg

But on LMC the long tanks I'm only seeing either a 16 or 20 gallon tank, which is listed as 1982 - 87 EFI. I thought the CUCV had a 25 gallon tank? Is it listed under a different year? As I know something might be listed as a 1983, but what they show covers from early 70's through 89. Do they just not have them since they only have listings for the K20 and not the K30? Or is this one CUCV specific?

Capture.PNG

If it is that tank, I'll have to pass as its $350 just for the tank and sending unit.

There is another 20 gallon tank that is shown for 1973-89. But from the diagrams it doesn't appear to be the same:

tank 2.PNG

The only other tank is a square type tank, that looks like it goes under the bed which doesn't look like my tank at all.

So... even if I don't replace the tank I still have to replace the sending unit at the least. I know the OP jplace1011 showed the 32-4064 from LMC, which is a 4 port sending unit. But the one line is capped and not sued, so I'd rather just get a 3 port if I can. Would one of these be correct??

sending unit.PNG

I hate to keep asking more questions, but I've seen some people who converted their trucks to a civilian filler neck. But could find any specific details on here. I wouldn't mind doing this for a couple reasons if it wasn't too expensive. One being able to use a locking gas cap, as we have some "neighbors" we've had problems with in the past and would not put it past them to dump something in the fuel tank. Locking gas caps can be broke and etc, but would at least be something and if it was broke I wouldn't start the truck until I had checked everything out. I see a filler neck for 84-87 diesel. Would this be the correct one? Would I have to change anything else.

filler neck.PNG

Filler neck 2.PNG

Sorry for the long post. Any input would be Appreciated

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I was able to get the truck turned around backed into my garage and get underneith of it to look at the tank. I found the ground wire going to the fram, it wasn't corroded and the connection was strong. So I don't think its the ground wire, but I can not see anything on the top side of the tank as I do not have the time today drop it.

What I was able to see was one of the hard lines coming off the sending unit, where it connects to the rubber hose the clamp is just hanging there off of the hose. So either the hose has deteriorated enough that the clamp just came loose, or the clamp is broke. So now I have to drop the tank anyway to replace the hoses and clamps. I'm assuming that is just standard 3/8"? fuel line? From what I could see there didn't seem to be any that were "formed" lines.

Since I have to drop the tank, I am going to at least replace the fuel sending unit. I am considering to just replace tank, straps, and all as some have suggested. As I would say the inside of the tank probably has some corrosion and etc.

However I'm looking on LMC as I've ordered multiple parts from them in the past and always been quality. But with what they show I'm not sure which tank it is. My truck has the long tank on the drivers side, not a very good photo but its what I could get with my phone. Those things in the way are my side steps I built back 7 or 8 years ago, I'd have to unbolt them to get the tank down.

View attachment 888511

But on LMC the long tanks I'm only seeing either a 16 or 20 gallon tank, which is listed as 1982 - 87 EFI. I thought the CUCV had a 25 gallon tank? Is it listed under a different year? As I know something might be listed as a 1983, but what they show covers from early 70's through 89. Do they just not have them since they only have listings for the K20 and not the K30? Or is this one CUCV specific?

View attachment 888509

If it is that tank, I'll have to pass as its $350 just for the tank and sending unit.

There is another 20 gallon tank that is shown for 1973-89. But from the diagrams it doesn't appear to be the same:

View attachment 888510

The only other tank is a square type tank, that looks like it goes under the bed which doesn't look like my tank at all.

So... even if I don't replace the tank I still have to replace the sending unit at the least. I know the OP jplace1011 showed the 32-4064 from LMC, which is a 4 port sending unit. But the one line is capped and not sued, so I'd rather just get a 3 port if I can. Would one of these be correct??

View attachment 888512

I hate to keep asking more questions, but I've seen some people who converted their trucks to a civilian filler neck. But could find any specific details on here. I wouldn't mind doing this for a couple reasons if it wasn't too expensive. One being able to use a locking gas cap, as we have some "neighbors" we've had problems with in the past and would not put it past them to dump something in the fuel tank. Locking gas caps can be broke and etc, but would at least be something and if it was broke I wouldn't start the truck until I had checked everything out. I see a filler neck for 84-87 diesel. Would this be the correct one? Would I have to change anything else.

View attachment 888514

View attachment 888515

Sorry for the long post. Any input would be Appreciated
I can’t confirm exact LMC numbers since I ordered on Rock Auto, but those should be correct. It is indeed a 20 gallon tank, and I purchased a 3 port sending unit. I included shots of the exact parts I purchased spring last year (showing current prices) and had no issues with them.

With regards to the filler port, I’ve contemplated switching to the civilian on myself but haven’t yet. I believe the diesel one you showed would work, just make sure you get a new filler hose as well. I bought the LMC filler hose not realizing it is too small for the CUCV filler itself. But the tank size is the same for all.B4175564-1876-407B-B8B3-E694FF5EA606.jpeg96F80D32-6894-40EB-A6DC-C58F04043C39.jpeg

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t confirm exact LMC numbers since I ordered on Rock Auto, but those should be correct. It is indeed a 20 gallon tank, and I purchased a 3 port sending unit. I included shots of the exact parts I purchased spring last year (showing current prices) and had no issues with them.

With regards to the filler port, I’ve contemplated switching to the civilian on myself but haven’t yet. I believe the diesel one you showed would work, just make sure you get a new filler hose as well. I bought the LMC filler hose not realizing it is too small for the CUCV filler itself. But the tank size is the same for all.View attachment 888548View attachment 888549
Rock Auto is a good company too. Don't know why I didn't think to check them to see what they had listed.
Thanks for the info and part #'s [thumbzup]

EDIT: Will keep that in mind about the filler neck and hose.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been looking at the two SPECTRA sending units that Rock Auto lists for this truck

➡ One is the FG05K that you posted adf5565
➡ And the other is the FG05L that ezgn posted

The only real differences between them besides the 'color', is the direction of the ports verses the direction of the float. And the FG05K has and angle to it, where the FG05L is straight.

Ran a search on google with "CUCV FG05K FG05L", and came across another site where someone stated that the FG05K was for the drivers side tank. And the FG05L was for the passenger side tank, if it was a truck with dual tanks. This would seem to make sense in the regards of why the ports would be "reverse direction". Also could explain why the K is "angled" and the L is "straight" if the tanks are made a little different shape due to their placement under the truck.

I don't have any way to confirm this, but it could be why they are both listed but made different. Just thought I would throw that up there for anyone else trying to figure out why there are two models listed. In either case, from what I've read it seems like either one works fine.

➡ EDIT: Ok... I guess I can confirm this now... If I would have not "skipped over" some of the words, it states this right on Rock Auto's listings :roll:
FG05K = Drivers side
FG05L = Passengers side

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been looking at the two SPECTRA sending units that Rock Auto lists for this truck

The only real differences between them besides the 'color', is the direction of the ports verses the direction of the float. And the FG05K has and angle to it, where the FG05L is straight.

Ran a search on google with "CUCV FG05K FG05L", and came across another site where someone stated that the FG05K was for the drivers side tank. And the FG05L was for the passenger side tank, if it was a truck with dual tanks. This would seem to make sense in the regards of why the ports would be "reverse direction". Also could explain why the K is "angled" and the L is "straight" if the tanks are made a little different shape due to their placement under the truck.

I don't have any way to confirm this, but it could be why they are both listed but made different. Just thought I would throw that up there for anyone else trying to figure out why there are two models listed. In either case, from what I've read it seems like either one works fine.

➡ EDIT: Ok... I guess I can confirm this now... If I would have not "skipped over" some of the words, it states this right on Rock Auto's listings :roll:
FG05K = Drivers side
FG05L = Passengers side
Yep the 05K worked just fine for my drivers side so you’d be set there!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, kept going back and forth on just ordering a sending unit or get it all... and I ended up ordering all of it. I put a fuel sending unit, dorman tank, and dorman straps in the cart on Rock Auto, and it was going to be $211. BUT it was showing there was some sort of delay on the fuel sending unit. Plus the straps shipping from a second location, Plus the fuel tank was shipping from a Third location, both adding more shipping cost. And the fuel tank was showing it was to be delivered jan 25th.

So long story short, I went to Amazon and Summit Racing to look up what they had and shipping cost/times along with Rockauto. Went back and forth between the sites, and between Spectra and Dorman brands. Figured out that to get everything the quickest, and what ended up being the best price too as Summit had free shipping including on the tank. I ordered the Spectra Fuel tank (GM1B) from Summit, along with Spectra Tank Straps ST01 with a delivery date of Jan 17th or 18th.

And then ordered the Spectra fuel sending unit on Amazon which also shows a delivery date of Jan 17th.

So Instead of $211 total with Dorman tank and straps and jan 25th delivery date... it ends up being $195 with Spectra tank and straps, and should receive everything on jan 17th. (Then I added a roll of the rubber tank strap isolators for another $18 from Summit.) The only thing now is if it Actually Arrives at the expected delivery dates.

So I think I got everything I should need, besides some regular 3/8" fuel line to replace the hoses between the hard lines and the sending unit. I can get that locally if I don't have any on hand. At least I think its 3/8" fuel line.

Hopefully I will be able to pull the old tank, and have everything I need to reinstall and get it back together without having to wait on more parts. 😬

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

FG05K = Drivers side
FG05L = Passengers side
https://a.co/d/0rY76f8

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's some good pricing! I remember paying around $100 15-20 years ago for a tank and used was half that.
yeah not too much damage for being able to straight up replace it all. about $225 for tank, sending unit, straps, and roll of rubber isolators to go between straps and tank. I was surprised to get a tank for that price, glad I found it on Summit with free shipping

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, kept going back and forth on just ordering a sending unit or get it all... and I ended up ordering all of it. I put a fuel sending unit, dorman tank, and dorman straps in the cart on Rock Auto, and it was going to be $211. BUT it was showing there was some sort of delay on the fuel sending unit. Plus the straps shipping from a second location, Plus the fuel tank was shipping from a Third location, both adding more shipping cost. And the fuel tank was showing it was to be delivered jan 25th.

So long story short, I went to Amazon and Summit Racing to look up what they had and shipping cost/times along with Rockauto. Went back and forth between the sites, and between Spectra and Dorman brands. Figured out that to get everything the quickest, and what ended up being the best price too as Summit had free shipping including on the tank. I ordered the Spectra Fuel tank (GM1B) from Summit, along with Spectra Tank Straps ST01 with a delivery date of Jan 17th or 18th.

And then ordered the Spectra fuel sending unit on Amazon which also shows a delivery date of Jan 17th.

So Instead of $211 total with Dorman tank and straps and jan 25th delivery date... it ends up being $195 with Spectra tank and straps, and should receive everything on jan 17th. (Then I added a roll of the rubber tank strap isolators for another $18 from Summit.) The only thing now is if it Actually Arrives at the expected delivery dates.

So I think I got everything I should need, besides some regular 3/8" fuel line to replace the hoses between the hard lines and the sending unit. I can get that locally if I don't have any on hand. At least I think its 3/8" fuel line.

Hopefully I will be able to pull the old tank, and have everything I need to reinstall and get it back together without having to wait on more parts. 😬
If I remember correctly you will need 1 foot of 1/4'' 5/16'' and 3/8'' fuel injection hose and new fuel injection clamps.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly you will need 1 foot of 1/4'' 5/16'' and 3/8'' fuel injection hose and new fuel injection clamps.
wow... they used every size didn't they :roll:
Didn't know it used fuel injection hose instead of regular fuel line either. Will have to see call my local auto parts store tomorrow to see if they have that.
Thanks for the info [thumbzup]

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow... they used every size didn't they :roll:
Didn't know it used fuel injection hose instead of regular fuel line either. Will have to see call my local auto parts store tomorrow to see if they have that.
Thanks for the info [thumbzup]
You can use regular hose if you want. I just use the best considering it's not a job you want to do again anytime soon.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never used fuel injection hose on a CUCV. They never had that from new and I am driving a CUCV M1028 from 1987 that still has all the original hoses on it. It is my daily driver for now. Oh Joy. Have a Great Day.
This truck is my daily driver too, actually its my only vehicle I have right now. Just a couple weeks ago the rear brake caliper went bad on my Dad and Moms small SUV. So I had to replace the caliber, brake hoses, and pads. Thats the only vehicle they have, so I used my truck to go back and forth to get parts and such. After I got that all done, the very next time I went to start my truck was when I found my started had died lol. So I've had to drive their SUV until I get my truck done. Fortunately I live next door to them, so that helps. My Dad is 81 and can't do the work any more, so I keep all the maintenance up on the property, buildings, and whatever else needs done. So I use his barn to work inside out of the cold 😁

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got my fuel tank yesterday. But was disappointed when it arrived, as the entire end of the box was busted out and and the rest beaten up. There were multiple dents, mostly in the "flange" where they weld the top and bottom halves of the tank together. I didn't see any damage to the seam that I thought would cause it to leak though, so I went ahead and accepted it, as I figured if I requested a replacement it wouldn't be shipped any better. The driver did make a note in his log that it was received damaged, so I got two weeks to file a claim if I need to. Which I certainly hope I don't.

1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg

In any case, I took my angle grinder and cut off and rounded the worst corners that got bent up. They were outside the seam line.

4.jpg 5.jpg

Then I cleaned it twice with paint thinner and last with acetone. Got primed and painted so it could sit and cure last night.

20230116_173309.jpg 7.jpg

8.jpg 9.jpg

Today the rest of the stuff was supposed to come in, so I got to work this morning on taking my drivers side step off. Then put my floor jack under the tank and began unbolting it all. When I was getting ready to let the tank down, I got a delivery of the straps and the rubber isolators, and thought everything was coming in right on time. However, the box that was supposed to be my fuel sending unit... ended up being an A/C Accumulator :mad:

20230117_152330.jpg

It shows what it was and the part number right on the box, which is also the box they shipped it in. How they shipped that instead of my fuel sending unit i don't know. So now I have to return that to Amazon.

After seeing this, I called my local parts store and ordered a fuel sending unit from them. But it won't arrive until sometime thursday... And the last time I ordered something from them, I called the day it was supposed to be there to go pick it up and they didn't even have any record of the order, let alone the actual brake caliper I had ordered. Which is one of the reasons I ordered everything online this time. So after this, I'm hoping they will get the fuel sending unit thursday.

In either case, I keep the Scriptural Sabbath day according to the lunar-solar calendar, and this "thursday night to friday night" is Sabbath this month. So it will be at least saturday before I can begin to get this together and back on the truck, that is if the fuel sending unit actually arrives at the part store thursday. Wait and see.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, finished getting the tank down today. doesn't look to bad actually other than being filthy.

20230118_133956.jpg

I havent pulled the sending unit too look inside, but through the fill port it actually looks fairly clean.

In any case, apparently someone has been in here before, as this sending unit is only a 3 port. the line that was plugged and on the frame was just left there for appearances.

20230118_130059.jpg

got the fill and vent hoses off, it appears it's been leaking some on this end of the tank. not sure if I should just clean the hoses up and reuse. or order some new ones. Part #s not in FAQ, have to check TM but will wait until I'm back at my computer. too hard to read TMs on phone.

20230118_133306.jpg

20230118_131104.jpg

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took apart the filler neck and the filler and vent hoses and cleaned them up a bit. On the filler neck hose clamp that held it on the filler neck, I found the screw was stipped out. So thats probably where it was leaking, as the hoses look good no cracks or etc. So I may just finish cleaning them and reuse them.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here's a question... how do you reattach the new straps to the frame brackets? these have large rivets. I have rivots, but nothing that big. Nor do I have a rivet gun that would accept that large of rivits.

think 1/4 bolts would work? They fit the holes on the new straps perfectly. but the heads are "thicker" than than the head of a rivet.

20230118_144311.jpg

20230118_144305.jpg 20230118_144301.jpg

And I do have to replace the straps because the bolt on one was bent pretty bad, didn't know if I was going to even get it off for a while. Glad I already bought new ones.

20230118_145026.jpgAbi

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks