• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv m1009 restore!

michaelmargadonna

hey fellow cucver's i have been using SS for a while but this is my first thread. My 85 M1009 is my baby and has been for about three years now. She got me through college by getting me to school whenever my motorcycle was out of commission, or it was raining too hard. I did a ton of research before investing in this particular diesel. I lived off the grid for my last two years of college and needed 4WD to get around my property when I sold my pickup and bought the cucv. mechanically it has been great (less than 30k miles). electrically is another animal. all the lights quit working and i was forced to wire in switches to the headlights and taillights just to get around until i graduated. Unfortunately the previous owner swapped the 24 volt system to twelve and installed a 12volt starter so for financial reasons i will have to go off of that platform for my restoration project. i am sure some of you will object and i am interested in your input.
i also, like so many who have done this before, am dealing with a lot of dry rotted rubber. i have installed new motor mounts but now vacuum line connectors are leaking bad and she is shifting pretty hard.
i will be keeping this thread updated as i start going through everything and will be grateful for any advice from the SS community.
will post some preproject pics asap!