• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv m1009

yorkie

Hi guys! My first time on the forum -so bear with me if there are any mistakes. I own a 1983 Chevy M1009..... and it's got me a little bit puzzled! The VIN tells me that it has a C series engine (6.2 litre diesel) and is obviously a civilian version that has been fully 'militarized' It has a non standard large front bumper with winch, the rear bumper resembles a steel girder with tow pintle. It has beige carpets!! and upholstery and has old style black out lights Was this vehicle an early civilian model that was introduced to the US military prior to the intoduction of the M1009 with the J series engine? Any ideas as to how it's ended up in the UK and what it's use may have been? It looks like it's a bit of a mongrel! Hope this all makes sense ......and pardon my ignorance!
Cheers
Yorkie

Adamlee

nopics

...just had to do it!!!!

FWIW, the VIN will tell you everything. all that info is here...try the search feature first!

welcome aboard!!

yorkie

RE: 1009

Thanks for the quick reply!! Pics will follow soon. Have got the VIN info - C series engine made in Flint etc etc but....still confused as to why this civvy version ended up complete with all the beels and whistles comensurate with a military spec vehicle? This truck may have been deployed at a US air base in the UK ( possibly military police) Definitely not a production M1009 which all had the 'J' series engine.
Nice to talk to you
Yorkie

mangus580

Pics will help us tell more about it. I am willing to suspect that it was just modified for use by the military. Production CUCV's ran from 1984-1986? If I remember right.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

There should be a data plate with the VIN and military registration number inside of the drivers side door frame near where the latch is.

Send the VIN and reg num and we can check. If there is no dataplate, then just send the VIN and above all else, send pictures.

jeli

The front bumper looks like a standard Warn winch bumper with the blackout lights and slave plug moved. The brush guard was added later. I've seen the rear before but can't place it. Is it really an M1009? The slave plug looks to be old style not NATO and the hood ornament and tailgate emblems don't come on mil trucks but they also could be replacements.

Adamlee

k5 blazer

Looks like a clean "clone" M1009 to me, especially if the VIN engine letter doesn't match the CUCV 6.2 code.

I see all the chrome Blazer trims and chevy logos, painted over; as well as the civvy-style swing-away spare tire carrier remnants....the plugs over the bolt holes in the tailgate and the right rear corner.

It's a nice truck, I wonder why the chrome trims and especially the hood medallion got left on and sprayed over? You'd never see those on a cucv "low bidder" truck....

Again, a quick snap of the VIN plate itself will tell all. You could just cover up the last 2 or 3 digits for security's sake....

M1075

RE: k5 blazer

Nice looking truck! If it is not someone's hack job, maybe this truly was a prototype. How/where did you acquire it? What does the title/registration say?

AJMBLAZER

OD auto transmission or non-OD auto transmission? CUCV's only came with TH400 non-OD transmissions.

My money is either someone over there brought in a civy truck and then later they or someone decided to "CUCV-ize" it or the military had a civilian truck and at some point it got melded with a CUCV. The bumpers are definitely not military though.

AJMBLAZER

...and carpet and badging and trim and a civilian only exterior spare tire doodads...

...my money's on it being a converted civilian rig but the transmission would be a very good indicator of it for sure.

pauld

hi yorkie, as another cucv owner in the uk, email me off forum, and we can have a chat about your M1009 , the front bumper and winch is a standard USAF retro-fit and will carry a warn winch, they built them themselves
paul

AJMBLAZER

Really, UK only or European US forces sorta thing? Never seen a CUCV with anything but the stock bumpers or no bumpers, but that's only in the USA.

pauld

seems to be a sort of USAFE sort of thimg, ive got the same setup on my M1008A1 and its an ex ADA truck from germany, the army guys tended to mount the spare wheel on the standard brushgaurd, gives it a bit of "bumpspace" on our "smaller" roads....LOL ... same thing with the reflective red/yellow decals that seem to appear on the corners of some tailgates
Paul :D

yorkie

Hi pauld. posted you a private message. Wondered if youd got it. Havnt got your email address so if you want to post it or send me a pm il get back to you. Cheers from yorkie.